X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting your gun - a Basic how too.

Here is is again chaps.

I've written this because I've had a awful lot of people ask me to either spray up a gun for them or how I have done it. I've posted this on a couple of other forums as thought I may as well post it up here too. - Note: Those who know / do it differently this is the way I do not the only way (and sorry if it sounds like I'm teaching anyone to suck eggs - thats not my intention).
    Ok so I'm not the best at writing a how to without actually being there and physically showing you - anything you dont understand please ask & I'll do my best to answer.
    First thing is first - Decide what kind of spray job you want to do & a little research / practice on carboard of the finish your after will help no end.
    Secondly: Disassemble / remove / cover with tape any parts you dont want to have sprayed up - take your time here as it pays off in the end. Get everything ready yours going to use.

Paint - essential - Beer - more essential

The Templates to get the desired result.
    Thirdly - apply a base colour. Usually a lighter colour does help here. If you want to make the gun darker you can just apply more of the other colours your going to use in your paint scheme. After the base coat lay what your going to use as a template / pattern over the parts to be sprayed - the closer you hold them to the gun the sharper the edge - the further away the more blured the edge will be.
    Repeat this all over the gun & dont be afraid if some over lap:

Allow this to dry - have a good swing of beer

Now using the same process as before lay your template over the gun & use your next colour (in this case dark brown). Dont forget to make sure that both of the previous colours are both saved (under the template) and sprayed over as well - this helps break up the gun even more:

allow to dry - have another beer!
    Now take your last colour - same process as before to add a few more highlights - in this case medium brown:

Now to tie in all the colours a little more & in this case darken it down -here I've lightly sprayed Olive Green all over (from a distance of about 20 - 30CM - but only lightly!!!!!) this takes off some of the sharper edges & ties the whole lot together nicley!
    Allow to dry - have another beer!
    <note at this point you could spray on some clear matt finish laquor but IMO a bit of wear adds to the look of the toy after a while>
    Reassemble gun & stand back!

The Other Option is to just spray directly onto the gun without templates
    As Before tape up / remove anything you dont want sprayed (iron sights etc etc)
    Apply base coat. Then add other colours as required - but do try & change the direction that your spraying - this helps break up the outline further. Sorry no step by step pictures but some of the finished product (this one uses Olive Green, Black & Medium Brown)

I hope you find this useful if you need it!
    Chris
    I APOLOGISE IN ADVANCE IF I BREAK THE RULES.

Re: Painting your gun - a Basic how too.

what colour is the green toped lid ? i think thats as close as im gonna get to sa80 green paint
    AGM HK416 with C/A M203
    2x AA L85/ SA80s
    Warrior L96
    Browning High Power

Comment

Krylons - Olive Green. You can find it here & there. Best place I have found for it is **** ******* - Costs about £5 a can.

HTH

Chris

Comment

that looks excellent and the guide is nice and easy to follow

Comment

What should I do if I want to re-spray a gun that has been sprayed previously?
          Should I rough it up a bit first and just spray on top for a real thick coat or should I try and get all the previous spray off?
          ----------------
          Armoury

JG Krinkov
          DE M47 Shotgun
          Jieke P355 Mod

Comment

if i were you i'd sand off most of the paint or try and paint over the existing paint realy lightly

i'm not shure where to tape up on the scope could you please explain abit, thanks

it's ok about my message early i've managed to tape it up easy

haha, i sprayed my scope using this technique but i messed it up a little

Originally posted by Panzergold View Post
            What should I do if I want to re-spray a gun that has been sprayed previously?
            Should I rough it up a bit first and just spray on top for a real thick coat or should I try and get all the previous spray off?
            from what you have done previosly you can keep there then do a bit of camouflaging over the gun, i just finished doing mine like that and it looks great. i'll try and post a pic of my bar 10 now. i'm considering doing my g36c now aswell
            Last edited by Rampage; 16 November, 2008, 18:50.

Comment

Any chance we can get this made 'important' or 'stickey'?

Comment

i've just tried to upload my photos but it won't work

Comment

just like to say thanks for a great thread, using your advice my l96 now looks great, those m14's look awesome though, which ones are they?

Comment

What is that thing called on the butt of the m14, where did you get it, or did you make it?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by djbarnz_e View Post
                      just like to say thanks for a great thread, using your advice my l96 now looks great, those m14's look awesome though, which ones are they?
                      Thanks & they are both TM's.

Originally posted by Sniper12 View Post
                      What is that thing called on the butt of the m14, where did you get it, or did you make it?

Thanks
                      Its a check rest - there are lots of different ones out there - IIRC thats a blackhawk one.

Comment

Fantastic paintjobs Tallbloke!

If you don't mind, I'd like to add a small piece of advice; degrease everything first with a good bath of washing up liquid and hot water. Squirt the w/up liquid directly onto the piece to be cleaned and work it well in with your fingers.
                        Use an old toothbrush to clean out in the crevices (or you little brothers one if you catch him frigging around with your kit).

Finish off with a good spray of hot water, then immediately dry off with kitchen roll.

I leave my freshly cleaned stuff on the radiator for a while too.

By the way, how'd you get the paint off your hands? My wife's getting a bit pissed with me taking her out with fingers that look like Shrek's used 'em to pick his nose! :D
                        Don't tell the wife...

Comment

heres the link to my BAR 10 stock when i had it and i was using this technique

http://s467.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=DSCI0011.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by SkylinePidgeon View Post
                            Fantastic paintjobs Tallbloke!

If you don't mind, I'd like to add a small piece of advice; degrease everything first with a good bath of washing up liquid and hot water. Squirt the w/up liquid directly onto the piece to be cleaned and work it well in with your fingers.
                            Use an old toothbrush to clean out in the crevices (or you little brothers one if you catch him frigging around with your kit).

Finish off with a good spray of hot water, then immediately dry off with kitchen roll.

I leave my freshly cleaned stuff on the radiator for a while too.

By the way, how'd you get the paint off your hands? My wife's getting a bit pissed with me taking her out with fingers that look like Shrek's used 'em to pick his nose! :D
                            LOl No worries mate - although a proper desgreaser will be better than washing up liquid as the salts in that will cause your metal parts to corode.

As for getting paint off my hands - ind. hand cleaner - its got pummice in it to help clean up better....

Comment

Can you base spray a gun ie black with a brighter colour?

and what colours exactly did you use on the m14 socom

cheers

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

tallbloke Find out more about tallbloke
                              Working...
                              X