An accident while skirmishing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An accident while skirmishing...

Hi guys, had an accident while skirmishing on the weekend, would appreciate some input on a route forward.

AKS-74U.jpg

Long story short, I've managed to snap the folding stock & the back of the receiver off, losing the cocking lever/bolt cover & internal spring guide in the same incident. That electrical tape is now structural!

The gun is an (assumed D-Boys) Kalash AKS-74U that I picked up a couple of years ago, with upgraded internals (I believe we're talking: Deans Connectors, SRC High Speed Steel Gear Set, Element Max Speed Motor, Mosfet, SRC Hop Rubber). It still works fine, however it's fairly safe to say it's not in any position to be used outdoors!

I haven't managed to get the thing in-front of a gun-tech yet, but the consensus from the site was that either I could:
    1. Attempt to locate spare parts/a new body kit
    2. Attempt to locate a donor gun with the aim of performing a full transplant
    3. Bite the bullet, use it as spares

Option 1 is proving more difficult than I assumed. It's proven hard to find any 74U bodies, and even the ones I have found I can't 100% guarantee will be compatible. Finding replacement spring kits & dust covers have made this a bit of a non-starter. Full metal body replacement kits exist, but they cost far more than I originally paid for the whole thing. I am loathe to just use as spares, as mechanically it is top notch.

Given this, I assume option 2 is my best option. 74Us aren't particularly common, however I assume that other TM based AK would also work? Given the only part I am particularly attached to is the gearbox, I could in theory look at anything V3 based (G36's are looking mighty appealing right now... you can at least buy parts for them!).

I'm not intending to do any repair work myself, but I assume I will need to supply most of the parts to any tech myself.

Any thoughts/opinions/suggestions would be appreciated!

Many thanks,
    James

About the Author

Collapse

JDowdall Find out more about JDowdall
Working...
X