Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systema Infinity Thread

SYSTEMA INFINITY THREAD

Hi all, I’m sure I’m not the only one to have spent a fascinating/frustrating weekend with Systema’s latest high-end offering… so here’s a thread to pool knowledge/experiences/gripes!

1: INSTALLATION

Trickier than I thought. Read the manual. One point not trailed online was the need to remove a small amount of material from the inner edge of the upper receiver. Easily done with a small file, but easily overlooked if you’re in a rush, with predictably bad results!

I was using an aftermarket HAO L119A2 lower which caused to further issues. First, the need to remove some material on the right hand inner edge around the rear takedown pin which otherwise damaged the wiring.

Second (and very frustratingly at the time) it appears that the HAO magnetic bolt catch (an otherwise must-have upgrade in my view…) is *just* a little oversized on the bottom edge where the magnet sits. This gave me no end of dramas as I could not understand why the rifle would not function until I did a very careful stage-by-stage test late last night! Removing the material was very easy (less than 1mm) and took less than five minutes in the end!!

It’s also worth noting that Systema have (inexplicably in my view) not provided either gearbox retention screws or motor retention pins as part of the kit, so if (like me) you were planning to put your old inners into another weapon you’re going to be shit out of luck until you can order some more of these vital parts. Poor show in my view.

Also, whilst the kit does ship with a ‘fake motor’ piece which allows you to quickly and simply attach you old grip (as long as you have those motor pins!!) it doesn’t ship with an adapter to enable RS grips and I cannot currently find one for sale anywhere! This feels like another rather inexplicable oversight given we have seen videos with these pieces in full view, and the lack of motor in grip (and thus ability to use genuine grips) is a major selling point! Come on Systema!

2: TESTING

Geoff’s 0.28 tracer + stock 150mm barrel + stock cylinder =250fps

Same setup with ‘auto learning’ =253fps.

Equals c300FPS ON 0.2gr, as expected from online reviews.

——————

+PDI 264mm 6.04 =290fps on 0.28gr (equiv c340FPS on 0.20)

+1x3mm steel shim in cylinder =298fps on 0.28gr (equiv c355fps on 0.20)

+2x3mm steel shims in cylinder =304fps on 0.28gr (equiv c360fps on 0.20)

3: ISSUES

a) During installation dual selector lever proved tricky to align correctly and feels sloppy overall.

b) Much more significantly, during testing (after swap of 150mm OEM barrel for 264mm PDI but with no other changes) semi auto setting has become full auto with no obvious facility to change. ‘Auto learning function’ has no effect. Presumably an electronics issue but most perplexing.

4: FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Trigger response and ‘snappiness’ is incredible. As fast as a GBB without a doubt.

Full auto ROF is seriously impressive at 1100 rpm.

Balance of weapon now feels much more like RS as grip is empty.

No perceptible torque from motor.

Looks like simple upgrades (longer barrel, cylinder shims) can bring this up to MilSim type FPS without too much drama - but we’ll need to wait and see if that longer barrel is the cause of the ‘stuck on full auto’ issue.

I’m hopeful that being ‘stuck’ on full auto will be a fairly simple remedy. Time will tell. If that can be resolved then this is a seriously impressive piece of kit.

And just so other folk know….

do NOT, I say again, do NOT run the ‘self learning’ function without a cylinder in place, as this appears to properly fuck up the electronics in some way that I can’t yet find a way to recover from.

and before anyone tells me I’m an idiot (although I probably am….) I was trying to find a logical way to fix the ‘stuck on full auto’ issue….. but now I have a new (and even more fun!) issue. Joy.

EDIT

And the way to recover from this particular idiocy is to find the most piss-weak spring you have and pop that in the cylinder, then run the ‘self learning’ function - then step back up in increments to stock and then to the shimmed FPS of your desires. Phew.

it still keeps firing full auto in semi setting though… and that’s quite irritating….
    Last edited by EightRoundsRapid; 6 June, 2021, 23:24.

Comment

interesting. so this means that shimming the cylinder still works?
      is the cylinder itself any different?
      what spring the kit came with? 90 or 130?

Comment

It would appear so…. But that comes with the caveat that I’ve not put too many rounds through it yet. I’ll try and post some video when I do.

Systema says the cylinder is different - and hence not compatible with their standard gearbox and vice versa - and some minor changes are evident, including four locking lugs in the nozzle face which interface with a concentric groove in the face of the hop unit.

I *think* it ships with an M130 - which would account for the c300 FPS stock with the very short 150mm barrel.

Comment

Pics.

First is the cylinder with the material that needs to be removed from the upper.

Second is the locking lugs on the face of the new cylinder:

Lastly the concentric locking groove in the face of the hop unit:

Attached Files
          Last edited by EightRoundsRapid; 8 June, 2021, 23:36. Reason: Struggling with the picture interface!

Comment

A note on the cylinder, Kumi herself said something on Twitter about there being issues with the piston and gear rack,

It was clarified that even a slight scratch on the inner wall of the cylinder causes the rear part of the piston to be lifted by the amount of play when the groove of the piston is reduced, and the teeth in the front part are scratched.

There is no doubt that the solution is to install a dedicated Infinity piston without front teeth
            .”

She also mentioned that there might be some mechanical protection in the electronics if the spring force is greater than the system can handle,

Even if the spring tension is too strong and the current value becomes high, the over-discharge prevention circuit works to protect the board.”

Great write-up so far!

Comment

Sooooo….. the great news is that Systema got in touch with me and I think (subject to their confirming with me) that I’ve solved the stuck-on-full-auto bug.

The bad news is it’s my own stupid fault…..

Bit in the interests of no-one else making the same very expensive mistake I’m happy to fess up. With pics!

So the selector rack uses three magnets. One actually embedded in the rack itself (more on the in a moment….) and two on the surface of the board. It appears that in the rush to get everything put together (and, if I’m honest, probably the fact that my wonderful daughter was hanging off my arm half the time….) I broke not one, but two of these….

First pic is what Systema sent me, all shiny and new:

Second pic is a closeup of the same area after I fitted and re-fitted it several times whilst trying to solve the issue that turned out to be the HAO bolt catch (remember that!).

So, the moral of this story is, take your time and don’t be a fucking idiot. That, and kids and gunsmithing, even pretend gunsmithing, don’t mix.

Which means that my own fuckwittery aside, as long as you are careful on installation, Infinity looks like it has the potential to be a great product….!

Attached Files

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

EightRoundsRapid Find out more about EightRoundsRapid
              Working...
              X