Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

Making your WE L85 bolt release lever work.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making your WE L85 bolt release lever work.

Sorry guys, this may seem a bit long winded, but I'm not the greatest at compiling instructions.

I drilled a hole in the bolt catch lever cross pin (part# 84) horizontally in line with the receiver and fitted a cut down flybar from a TRex 450 heli so it lays across the top of the bolt catch proper and the elevator just behind it. I used a flybar because they are mega tough and slightly springy, plus they are threaded each end allowing you to secure the flybar to the cross pin with a couple of nuts.

If you make sure it lays in contact with the bolt catch proper (part# 117) it clears the bolt on recoil just fine. You may need to put a slight bend in the flybar to achieve this.

This will allow upward pressure on the bolt catch lever to depress to bolt catch and release the bolt. You don't get much lever travel but it works perfectly.

If you want to go one step further and make the bolt catch hold the bolt back when you push it down you need to remove the trigger group and take off the elevator piece (Part# 71) which is attached to the external left hand external bolt release.

You then need to take up the space between the tang on the bolt catch proper (117) and the elevator. I achieved this by drilling and tapping a 1.5mm hole and fitting a grub screw into the elevator.

Take your time and screw the grub screw in a bit at a time until it contacts the bolt catch but doesn't bind on full travel.

Remember to use locktite on the flybar nuts!!!

Then attach the flybar to the elevator (#71). I tried using several methods including clever steel wire loops, springs etc., but found the most efficient way was tro simply use a good quality rubber band. May sound a bit heath-robinson, and it'll undoubtably rot over time and need replacing, but it's simple and provides a small amount of springyness (is that a real word?) to the lever.

The great advatage of this method is that it is totally non-destructive apart from the hole in #84 and utilises the parts designed to hold the bolt back to do the job therefore minimising the possiblilty of breakage or damage to existing (and largly unobtainable) parts.

Piece of piddle...

Btw, I lurv this fuggly gun...:D:D:D
    Last edited by SkylinePidgeon; 1 August, 2011, 15:34.
    Don't tell the wife...

Re: Making your WE L85 bolt release lever work.

Should have added, this solution doesn't allow you to close the bolt on an empty mag when the magazine bolt hold open device is turned on.
    You can't apply enough pressure to depress the bit on the mag, but obviously you can still use the left hand side release catch.
    Don't tell the wife...

Comment

From my limited knowledge of the L85 the left button/tab was for bolt release and the right was purely for manualy locking it back.
      So as far as i can see you have it spot on mate.
      The only reason the right hand tab/button is used for both on AEGs is because the gearbox gets in the way of the other one working.

Comment

Ahh! Makes sense. My only experience with real steel L85's is the quick look I had at one when my friend brought one home "by mistake" when he came back from Bosnia years ago.

The L85 is a bit after my time. Give me an SLR, Stirling or Hi Power Browning and I'm your man...
        Last edited by SkylinePidgeon; 2 August, 2011, 00:29. Reason: spelling error
        Don't tell the wife...

Comment

Its known as the holding open catch sometimes, basically you use it to lock back the bolt manually - so it would seem you have replicated the function here. Why WE couldn't do it in the first place seems a bit odd tbh...

Comment

Rushed into production???

I'm sure this must have been discussed elsewhere, but is the foregrip properly prototypical? It looks exactly like one made by another Asian accessory producer.
            Don't tell the wife...

Comment

If you mean the handguard it has a similar design to the ICS version, but there is a difference as they arent interchangable.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

SkylinePidgeon I've been around longer than I can remember... Find out more about SkylinePidgeon
              Working...
              X