AEG vs APS Im Stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AEG vs APS Im Stuck

Having purchased an MB01 L96, i am reasonably happy with the accuracy over 20 meters (2.5 inch spread), but there is without a doubt room for improvement. I have done everything suggested in these forums with PTFE tape ect. Im now on the page of going for a 6.03 TBB, my stumbling point is AEG vs APS, I believe if I go AEG i have more choice but i need to buy a new hop unit at the same time. So the question is, can I but an APS barrel now, use my current Hop unit, then at a later date buy a PDI hop unit to fit the APS, so do PDI do an APS hop unit for the L96. I have searched ye'olde internet and found what seems to be an APS PDI hop unit, but it also says its AEG only in the advert which confuses me !

Second question, MADBULL Black Python 6.03mm Tight Barrel 499mm for APS, I think these are Aluminium ? does that cause any longer term issues, Aluminium doesn't sit in my mind as being the strongest of metals ?

Last question, can i assume the piston, piston head, cylinder head yada yada all go last if im looking for accuracy over 20 to 30 meters, or 60 to 90 feet ?

Using 0.29g BB's SRC "Perfect"

Well im using a G&G toptech 6.04 and a PDI hop (aeg barrel one) its at about 480 fps after clipping the spring from about 540. And i can hit a melon 9/10 times from prone on a bipod at 70m (before my mate messed up the zeroing on my scope) using zeroone .36 black bbs

Generic Tapatalk Signature.
    -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
    -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

Tapatalk turned my edit into a quote :/
      -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
      -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

Re: AEG vs APS Im Stuck

PDI chamber and AEG barrel is the way to go, get a PDI barrel too if you can afford it!
        Originally posted by psirus101
        I once got a player 100+ metres away by just pointing my finger and shouting "PEW PEW PEW". He took his ****ing hit!

Comment

WHats your fps? .29 might be a bit light

Originally posted by Metalbody
          pulling one off certainly feels good

Comment

Thanks for the comments everyone. I went for the Madbull AEG 6.03 and a PDI hopup with Marui Hop rubber as suggested by the retailer i purchased the other bits from. All fitted ok apart from that darn spring that sits on top of the hop levers, no matter what i did, the width of the tape was to much to get the unit into the barrel. I need to revisit. Doing some quick tin can tests its more powerful, I guess due to the less space in the barrel. But....the groupings arnt significantly better than previous, its all been cleaned down again, distance to target 60 feet, the groupings are in the 3 to 4 inch range, the question is, am I being unrealistic to expect a 1 inch grouping at 20 meters / 60 feet ? Does anyone have a correctly setup L96, they can test at that range and let me know ? error above, they are actually 0.28g BB's, Im open to go for 0.36 if that would help. On the fps front I dont have a chrono, but it goes through the bottom of a coke can, or through both the sides of same can.

An unrelated question, how come I can buy an air riffle with a steel trigger mechanism at 11 foot / lbs for £140, yet to buy a decent trigger for an airsoft riffle is also the same price ? Maybe im making dog noises up the wrong tree !!!!

Comment

Read my assembly guide for the PDI it might help you get it together. If you can't get the spring in. Use an o ring that's what i do

Comment

Or double up an elastic band. if your fps is over 350, its pointless testing groupings at 20M when you have a 30M min engagement. I site mine in for 40M, using .4s, can hit a head size target every shot

Originally posted by Metalbody
                pulling one off certainly feels good

Comment

Thanks everyone.

The Story so far, as my wife would say "you just couldn't leave it alone could you".

Having opted for the Madbul 6.03 AEG TBB with a PDI Hop chamber, it then continued to change, 300% APS2 Spring, Guarder Spring Guide 9mm, Guarder Ultra Light Aluminum Piston, PSS power Accuracy cup, PDI W hold Hop Rubber. I checked the trigger sears ect before going for a bigger spring and they are all metal.

After a little settling in of the spring, all was well for a couple of days, until this morning, the cylinder wont catch on the sear, i stripped it all down, including the trigger, checked everything including the trigger housing, no issues anywhere, all back together fired a full mag without problems, the same issue popped back up, take out cylinder, sears are all fine, back in it worked for a couple of shots then stopped again, cylinder wont catch, checked everything I can. There is no excessive wear, or damage to anything. Is it possible that the sear gets stuck forward and doesnt return to the upright position after the piston slams into the piston head when the mag is empty ?

Before i go ahead and look at a new full metal trigger, is there anything obvious, that im clearly missing, has anyone else had these types of issue ?

Comment

To be honest, if you're serious about upgrading then the stock pot metal sears probably won't hold out, I'd go all out and get the PDI V-Trigger, it shouldn't fail on you, and if it does, get some titanium sears machined
                    Originally posted by eyley
                    she was expensive, she was wobbly, she had bits on her she shouldn't have.....and she was useless.
                    Originally posted by Barlow
                    I had a negligent discharge once that I'm still paying for...her name is Sarah and she's 8 months old.

Comment

Thanks Battletecboy, I think you are 100% correct.

To close this one out, I have found the root cause. Well three actually.

1) The piston sear was sticking forward, the return spring had bent slightly, that's been fixed, but its obviously weakened
                      2) To compound the above the bottom end of the piston sear that sits against a small risen section on the trigger sear, the trigger sear was slightly worn, I took a file to it and now all is well
                      3) This is the one that had me beaten for a while, even through I knew the trigger was fine, i still could'nt engage the piston onto the sear, swapping our the spring and spring guide, all worked fine, it was only when i looked carefully at the 9mm spring guide and 300% spring combo, that i could see the end of the spring was slipping down over the raised part of the spring guide, this has the effect of making the end of the spring wider, stopping it from going into the piston when the cylinder was pulled all the way back.

Short term fix for the trigger is holding out, the fix for the spring guide is to use the old plastic guide. Its now putting in 1.5 inch groups at 20 meters, with 0.4g BB, Im unsure if the spring guide + spring issue is the spring or the guide. Lots of valuable lessons learned along the way.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Working...
                      X