Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sniper upgrades

Hi guys
    Was wondering what upgrades you think are essential for a bolt action i dont want to spend all my money on it but will have a nice sum if i can sell some of my guns of around £200
    I have an mb06 works great and all but acurracy isnt its strong point and the hop is an absolute pain to get right the power is decent and with .36s i can hit targets 60-70 metres away but what should i do about upgrading the sniper to make it more powerful or have greater range??

Thanks

Mike

Re: Sniper upgrades

well apart from the normal teflon mods you sould get a set of trigger sears before u start anythink and range and power anit everythink my vsr shoots at 400fps and can match the guns at my site if i was u i would try and n keep it a 60m else any further and your accurecy will go into
    sigpic

Comment

Hi Matey

1st thing is get a 6.01 barrel either pdi or madbull both are very good but madbull better priced at about £39
      2nd after installing the inner barrel max the fps that your site lets you play with on a bolt springer
      3rd renew sears with steel ones

as for piston and cyclinder as long as you have a good seal its good to go

Total cost £60-70 use king arms or guarder .36 and your be happy
      Dont Eat What You Cant Fry

Comment

you dont need to max the gun to you site fps ive found that a 400 fps is more reliable than a 500 as the fps is only the speed the bb will travel to the target i would try and get you gun more accurate before anythink else and a barrel alone wont make it more accurate
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Ghost View Post
          you dont need to max the gun to you site fps ive found that a 400 fps is more reliable than a 500 as the fps is only the speed the bb will travel to the target i would try and get you gun more accurate before anythink else and a barrel alone wont make it more accurate
          would be true witha 500fps aeg or gbb but its a springer. most springers come out the box at 450-500 fps.
          add a good inner barrel he will be good.

as for just 400fps i would rather have 500 fps then 400fps if i could.

many people say fps doesnt mean anything. but ask your self if you had a head wind of 400 fps and a 400 fps rifle and a 500 fps rifle which would travel through the air more. including side winds. etc etc

its great to stand in a air tight box with our hopup to full and get range but as soon as a dog farts your bb will be going with it

Comment

Accuracy and range is not about FPS, nor is it about a tighter bore on your barrel.

What you need is FPS consistency and a good hopup system. Once you have those dialed then you can worry about increasing FPS.

First step, get yourself a hollow piston-head o-ring. They inflate when the piston moves forward, creating a full airseal every time.

Next, get yourself some hardened piston and trigger sears. These aren't essential to accuracy but longevity of the rifle. You'll replace the piston sear over time, especially if you install a stronger spring, so you might as well get it right from the beginning (and it's relatively cheap so why not?).

Now that your cylinder setup is consistent and shouldn't break on you at any time soon it's time to look at the hopup/barrel system. The airseal is where consistency is made or broken. If you don't have a consistent airseal between the cylinder nozzle and the hopup unit then no amount of expensive barrels will really help you. I highly recommend buying one of HunterSeeker5's R-hop kits (available in the UK from AirLab) as it's the absolute best. And it's cheap (and there's a plethora of information about it). It takes a short while to install it, but when that translates to 90m range it's worth it. With the R-hop you can just use whatever hop rubber gives you the best airseal.

So you've got a consistent air seal, an excellent hopup system and reliable trigger system. That, if you've installed it properly, will have you out shooting most sniper rifles on the stock spring, for not very much. Be sure to use 0.3g or heavier BBs too.

After that you can get a better barrel. What you want in a barrel is consistent, high quality construction. This is where you get what you pay for. It is NOT about getting a really tight bore - decreasing the bore size will lift your FPS but will also make what ammo you can use more limited (and tests have shown that often 6.08mm gives better accuracy than 6.01mm). Get a good quality barrel for accuracy and worry about FPS with the spring.

If you really feel the need to up the FPS then ensure all of the accuracy and consistency worries are absolutely sorted first. Then get a stronger spring, but ensure you install a piston that can handle the pressure and a steel spring guide. But then you're starting to decrease the life of your sears and making maintenance more difficult. Having said that, an FPS increase on a sorted rifle, given that you're willing to maintain it properly, will allow you to use much heavier ammo and can give an increase in accuracy (due to heavier ammo, not FPS).

But in short, get your airseal and hopup sorted first. Then worry about FPS and barrel if you really have to. The former is cheaper and easier, and the latter is expensive and requires lots of maintenance. I've done the whole lot on a BAR-10 and was shooting 100m (I used a laser rangefinder) every shot.

Comment

Originally posted by mirlock View Post
              many people say fps doesnt mean anything. but ask your self if you had a head wind of 400 fps and a 400 fps rifle and a 500 fps rifle which would travel through the air more. including side winds. etc etc
              Sorry, a 400fps headwind? Do you have any idea how fast that is!? FPS is meaningless unless the rifle shoots straight and consistently firstly. Wind can be corrected for, but not if you don't know where the BB is going to shoot first of all.

Comment

Originally posted by KaRcop View Post
                Sorry, a 400fps headwind? Do you have any idea how fast that is!? FPS is meaningless unless the rifle shoots straight and consistently firstly. Wind can be corrected for, but not if you don't know where the BB is going to shoot first of all.
                i had in mind a straight shooting gun. but alot of people always say fps means nothing my example was just a example of air flow.
                if it wasnt about fps everyone would be running about with 250-300 fps.

But you are right ait flow inside the gun has to be correct first hopup seal ( not how much it upspins ) this would only come in to play at very low fps sights where you would need as much upspin as possible ( like a bannana )

where i play 370/ 400 / 500 are great values for the wood land and the trees get in the way before you would really want massive hopup

but its all down to sites played and the area involved

Comment

Just like the Warrior L96's the cylinder's bolt handle is cripmed in place. This means any high powered springs that you install will break the cylinder.

So, if high fps is what you require, along side accuracy, you'll need to get this replaced.

Ensure you replace your trigger and piston sear.

Get a high pressure piston.

If you are going over 420 fps also get a steel spring guide.

Replace hop lever for a metal one.

Comment

Sorry to revive an old thread but saves me starting a new one, I'm looking at buying one of these and I'm really interested in the results I can expect range etc using the above mods
                    Cheers guys.

Comment

Bought one!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

mike1967 Airsofting for a couple of years now and enjoy it Find out more about mike1967
                      Working...
                      X