Ares MSR upgrades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ares MSR upgrades?

Just bought an Ares MSR from a certain shop and it says certain parts are vsr compatible however elsewhere online I've seen people claiming its not at all compatible. Just wondering if anybody knows if its definatly upgradeably or not all.
    Thanks
    Matt

Re: Ares MSR upgrades?

Okies, I had a mate who I upgraded his VSR. He then decided to take all the parts out and put them in his MSR.

He used ASPUK Parts:

Piston
    Spring Guide
    M150 Spring
    SHS Trigger Sear
    SHS Piston Sear
    Black Steel Cylinder
    Black Steel Cylinder head.

I don't know anything about the hop though. I don't he's touched this yet.

Comment

Can you swap the msr hop unit out for a PDI one for the tm vsr at all?

Comment

Right got my hands on it myself so scrub my last post.

VSR pistons, spring guides, springs and cylinder heads fit.

ASPUK black VSR cylinders fit.

However, the trigger us unique. Unless ARES release steel sears then it might be possible to replace the trigger with a VSR trigger BUT a new screw hole will need to be tapped i the receiver for the front trigger screw.

Barrel and hop tbc. I plan to strip mine tomorrow.

Comment

I've seen many posts regarding the ARES MSR and thought i'd share my story.

I picked up an MS700 in a swap. The rifle was fine, no slam firing issues. The fps was 380 on a 0.2g bb so this led me to start thinking about upgrading. I run ASPUk so i'm pretty clued up on spring sniper rifles.

When taking the rifle apart there was a few things i noticed.

The cocking lever is crimped into place at then end of the cylinder rather than using pins like the TM VSR and JG clone. Although the cylinder material appears to be of strong aluminium i don't see the cocking lever staying in place for long when using a high tensile spring. Fortunately VSR after market cylinder will fit as a replacement.

I tried fitting a Laylax pink neo 45 degree piston but the white slip rings were too wide to fit in the stock cylinder. I tried both ASPUK 45 degree and 90 degree pistons and these fit fine.

The cylinder head is VSR compatible but i've stuck with stock one for now.

The hop unit is unique itself but you can use VSR hop buckings.

The barrel is 420mm in length and made of brass. You can use longer VSR aftermarket barrels as they pass nicely into the flash hider.

The stock piston is made of plastic as is the spring guide. The Trigger system is unique as are the sears which are made of pot metal.

At first I replaced the piston for an ASPUK aluminium version, steel spring guide and M150 spring along with a DeepFire 6.02mm 430mm VSR barrel but left the stock trigger in place.

I managed to skirmish for the best part of a day before it started slam firing. I removed the piston to notice very little wear on it. The sear however did show some sign of wear but not at the tip. There was a noticeable indentation halfway up the front of the sears surface.

As a test, i replaced the piston yet again. The rifle worked fine for about 30 shots and then started to slam fire again.

If you notice the top of the mag is spring loaded which potentially could leave room for a VSR trigger to be installed. You just need to drill a hole for the front trigger screw.

So, i then started looking at other triggers.

The Laylax and ASPUK triggers didn't fit. However i did manage to install a VSR trigger with steel sears and this worked.... until i placed the received back into the body of the rifle.

The actually trigger is too short, this means that when the receiver is placed in the body of the rifle only approx 1.5/2cm of the lower tip of the trigger is showing and is not able to be pulled.

Back to the drawing board.

You could Dremel the sear to make a 45 degree sear and change the piston with a 90 degree catch but as the sear is made of pot metal i'm not sure how long it would last. This does work though.

Not to be defeated TNT have just released a trigger for the MSR and I can confirm that it does work!!!!!!!!!

I'm now running a Marksman Craft 90 Zero Trigger, ASPUK piston with 90 Degree Steel catch, ASPUK Steel Spring Guide, ASPUK M170 Spring, Deepfire 6.03mm x 430mm tightbore barrel along with the stock hop bucking. FPS currently 530 with 0.2g

I've put some details on my facebook page (shameless plug) where there's a link to the trigger in the comments of the the pic of the Trigger and Piston Set.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2453697&type=3

Comment

There are now MMC Pro Triggers available, google ASPUK.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

spascat Find out more about spascat
            Working...
            X