Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vsr bolt/trigger stopper problem

Hi guys,

I'm having a problem with my vsr. After a few shots the bolt locks up and won't go all the way back into position so I can pull the trigger. I've figured out that the problem is to do with the trigger stopper and the small spring linked to it on the trigger unit.

Basically when I pull the bolt back, the trigger stopper drops down slightly until I've completely cocked the rifle and returned it to its original position at which point the trigger stopper then rises back into its original position allowing me to pull he trigger. However after a few shots the trigger stopper stays in its original position preventing me from pushing the bolt back in completely.

I then have to release the pressure on the trigger stopper to put the bolt back and then I can pull the trigger again. I hope that makes sense.

I'm not sure why or what this is catching on as it works fine for about 3-5 shots and then locks up. Anyone had a similar problem and how did they fix it?

Thanks
    Chris

Re: Vsr bolt/trigger stopper problem

Not sure this is related, but my VSR (it's actually a JG, but has the TM trigger) was having problems which I eventually traced to the trigger mech working itself slightly loose after a few shots. Mine was slam firing, as well as not being able actuate the trigger. Giving the trigger mech fastening screws an extra 1/4 turn solved the problem for me. I've since got myself a tube of blue threadlock to fasten things on the rifle down (the sling attachments kept coming off too!)

Hope it helps,
    Matt
    Sent using ones and zeros over the ether.
    --
    I appear to be highly attractive to bb's; yet highly repulsive to springs and gearbox internals...

Comment

Originally posted by Honest_Matt View Post
      Not sure this is related, but my VSR (it's actually a JG, but has the TM trigger) was having problems which I eventually traced to the trigger mech working itself slightly loose after a few shots. Mine was slam firing, as well as not being able actuate the trigger. Giving the trigger mech fastening screws an extra 1/4 turn solved the problem for me. I've since got myself a tube of blue threadlock to fasten things on the rifle down (the sling attachments kept coming off too!)

Hope it helps,
      Matt
      I had exactly the same problem on my TM. I used a lock washer to sort it, just in case I needed to dismantle it on site or in the field.

Chris, if by trigger stopper you mean the safety sear which slides up onto the the cutout in the bolt, it sounds like the spring which pushes that up is too weak. It could also be the spring which returns the trigger to the firing position which is too weak. You may want to try limiting your trigger pull, just in case it travels too far and locks up. What I'm not sure about is how this stops the bolt returning. How far out is the bolt when it locks up?
      "Unleash just one load into the enemy
      and be ready to go again straight
      away... and that doesn't happen very
      often does it lads!" - ZeroOne

Comment

The bolt isn't that far out. On the trigger unit where it says trigger pull above that is a little spring and what I believe is called the trigger stopper (according to a replacement part that I found) its this part here that seems to be catching on the bolt. The bolt gets caught literally about a couple of centimetres from being pushed completely back in for me to pull the trigger. Ill try adjusting my trigger pull but I'm not sure if that will do anything. When I initially took the vsr apart the trigger stopper had a little dent on it where it had been catching on something.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining to well the part I'm on about. I could take a photo of the part to show you which part I mea. If that would help?

Comment

I get you. Yeah, I'm not at all sure. One of the ideas I rattled off might help, I don't know. I'm struggling to picture what the stopper might catch on. Could it possibly be interrupting with the trigger sear, or a deformity on the outside of the cylinder? I hope some of this helps :/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Jarrold View Post
            The bolt gets caught literally about a couple of centimetres from being pushed completely back in for me to pull the trigger.
            When you say a couple of cm, is it really 2cm or is is less (more like 0.5/1cm)? When the cylinder is being pushed back into the home (firing) position the air nozzle has to push past a sprung loaded part into the hop chamber to load and locate the BB). I found that this sometimes causes the last push to be sticky. Can you try with the hop chamber and barrel removed, so you're just firing the piston? It would involve removing the stock and then removing the inner barrel and hop; to see if the problem re-occurs with just the cylinder assembly.

Let us know how you get on,
            Matt
            Sent using ones and zeros over the ether.
            --
            I appear to be highly attractive to bb's; yet highly repulsive to springs and gearbox internals...

Comment

Right, sorry for the late reply. Finally got round to taking another look at the vsr. There was still no improvement so I decided to open up the entire trigger mech and then rebuild it. After doing that it now seems to work perfectly (fingers crossed) may have just been a screw had worked its way a little loose and therefore everything wasn't linking up how it should. No idea. Something that seemed complicated ended up so simple. Bit embarrassing but I guess it's a lesson learnt. First thing to test is the screws lol. Thanks for help guys. Appreciated.

Comment

Scratch that last. After a fair few shots its decided to lock up again while I was testing. There's no deformities on the cylinder etc. I'm gonna take a couple of photos and upload

- - - Updated - - -

Right, this is how far the bolt is when it gets stuck. It starts to get stuff a little earlier than this but I can still push it back to here

This is where I think the problem is.

Sorry it's upside down. Basically that spring where it's says trigger pull should be down a little lower than that. That is how it should be when the bolt has been put back into the firing position. However it's going to that position before the bolt is back therefore not allowing me to push the bolt home.

Any advice would be great.

Comment

That's bizarre. I can't think what's causing that. It shouldn't be physically possible for the stopper to be in that position until the bolt handle is down. The only thing I can think of is that you could be missing the front receiver ring, or it could be worn down somehow, allowing the cylinder to wobble slightly, letting the stopper slip up into the groove along the bottom of the cylinder. That's all I can think of. If you were missing the rear ring, it would be slam firing.

Comment

Ok this is gonna sound strange but ill explain what I've done. I've disassembled the entire trigger unit again, reassembled and reassembled the entire gun. Now the vsr fires for quite a few shots before locking up but with a little slap on manages to push the bolt home. Now I place the scope on the top locks up immediately and I'm unable to slap the bolt home however remove the scope can slap the bolt home and it works good again for a fair few shots? I'm really confused. Ill check the front ring for any wear and tear as its definitely there. Other than that I have no idea. Nothing else I can think of checking?

- - - Updated - - -

The count is 10-12 shots without scope before locking up, 0 with scope on

Comment

I'm all out of ideas at the moment, I'm afraid. That is really strange.

Comment

No worries mate. Cheers for ya help.

Comment

Seen this before.

Shim the front trigger screw that holds trigger to receiver.

A thin shim will help, place between the trigger and receiver.

Also trigger stop is not required entirely. It's there to stop the bolt being fired when locked back. As a process of elimination this can simply be removed.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Chris Jarrold Find out more about Chris Jarrold
                          Working...
                          X