490fps VSR10 Pro - what weight ammo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 490fps VSR10 Pro - what weight ammo?

So I have a TM VSR10 Pro sniper rifle with all the Laylax bells and whistles including a 6.03 tightbore barrel and a M150 spring to name a few parts. I recently serviced the gun as she was down on power at around 420fps when chrono'd with a . 20 BB though shot with .28's during games.

I've now replaced the cylinder head o-ring, fitted a Firefly hard hop rubber and done the PTFE hop seal mod and she is now averaging 490fps on a .20 and so I think I could get away with a heavier round for greater accuracy but don't want to be losing much range. Can anyone suggest the ideal weight I could be shooting and what brands are recommended?

Re: 490fps VSR10 Pro - what weight ammo?

Depends on your hop, sir.

Is it standard TM hop arm? If so you may struggle to lift much over .3, .36 may be the heaviest you can go without modifying the arm.
    “If it means interfering in an ensconced, outdated system, to help just one woman, man or child…I’m willing to accept the consequences.” -Wonder Woman #170

Comment

Mmm, interesting. Can I ask how the arm affects the BB weight?

Comment

It doesn't, the BB's weight is constant.

But standard TM VSR arm has fangs, these give even pressure on the rubber but can only push down so far without modification. More pressure is needed to put more backspin on to create more lift for heavier weights. Google bic biro mod. Or you can upgrade the arm.

Are you new to sniping? It might be worth trying .3s to start with, as .4 and .42 BBs are very dark and hard to see. Get some high quality .3s, wash them in diet coke (google that), see how you get on. Then either do the bic biro mod or get an upgraded arm and try some black .42s. But you'll have to really learn you gun + have it well set up as they are very hard to see in flight.

Good luck.
        Last edited by Trouble; 23 August, 2013, 07:14.
        “If it means interfering in an ensconced, outdated system, to help just one woman, man or child…I’m willing to accept the consequences.” -Wonder Woman #170

Comment

I see. Well, after the first use on Sunday since I completed the work on the gun I'd say the arm is currently applying enough pressure, in fact too much at that point. BB's were ramping skyward at about 60 yards with the hop applied about 20%. I couldn't dial it off at all so it was clear something was wrong. Once home I stripped the gun down and it showed that the hop slider or maybe the arm was a little 'jammed' but I was able to free this by pushing a little firmer on the slider once the gun was separated from the stock. Checked inside the barrel and can see the full movement of the hop nub in the rubber and the slider is moving the full distance so I'm confident I will be able to stop the BB's ramping upwards now. My point is that due to small amount of hop that was applied at that time and the amount of lift the new hop applied to the .28's, I would think it it capable of applying enough to move up in weight but how much I'm not sure. I was thinking something in the region of .32's or maybe .36's, what do you think?

As for experience, I have been sniping for a few tears now so like to think I'm reasonably experienced though had always used the gun as it was bought when I got it second hand. It is only now that the gun has had some new internal upgrades hopefully for the better and so only now that I felt I needed the advice on BB weights.

Comment

I found with my only mildly upgraded g-spec at 410fps, it ran perfectly with 0.30g

Biro mod on an otherwise stock TM hop unit. There was one snag though, anything more than 3 clicks on the adjustment lever would cause a jam due to too much hop being applied. With one or two clicks, it would easily handle a 0.36g bb, possibly even 0.43g but I never had any to try out at the time. Since then I've lost fps and removed the biro mod and changed out the stock rubber for a nineball one which I don't think is much better.

Comment

In the long run at that fps you want at least 0.36g but more like 0.4g or 0.43g (I would try both and see but I would always try and go heavier so 0.43g) running a 490fps sniper on less than 0.4g is a bit of a waste of that extra fps (not completely mind) so I would mod the hop arm and get a hard nub if you don't already. You could get a firefly hard nub as they work the best with firefly rubber and are the best drop in hop up system. You will not lose range by using a heavier BB you will gain range and effective range up to a point (around the 0.4g BB point). If you are interested in the physics behind there are a few threads on here which mention it or google it if not then you will have to take my word on it.
              For sale:

-Splitting M4
              -MP5 Parts
              -MP7a1
              -M9 Magazine

Comment

Put a DangerWerx type B lever in it and use 0.40g bbs!!!

Comment

Maruzen .29's if you can afford the best :D
                  sigpic
                  View iTrader Rating Here
                  Looking for Kjw KC-02 Parts(Ra-tech, Kjw, etc..) PM me!

Comment

Thanks for the advice peeps. Ok, so lets say I'm going to consider .36 or .40's, are there any particular brands people recommend/favour?

Comment

Is there not a limited number of manufacturers for heavyweight BBs in the uk? I know of Madbull and King Arms of which no one seems to like. ASG do 0.36g ones, not so sure if they have 0.4s. Personally I'm using Digicon Straights due to having a virtually endless supply of them.

On a side note, aren't the Maruzen SGMs discontinued and have been for a while?

Comment

as far as I can see a UK retailer still has several boxes left, I am unsure if they will be available after they are gone though.
                        sigpic
                        View iTrader Rating Here
                        Looking for Kjw KC-02 Parts(Ra-tech, Kjw, etc..) PM me!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Babyalien Easy going fella, always up for a laugh. Crude sense of humour. Find out more about Babyalien
                        Working...
                        X