Downgrading spring by cutting coils.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downgrading spring by cutting coils.

I currently have 2 springs for my G&P m870 shotgun. Both these springs are firing at 380fps, im looking to cut one down to fire just under 350. I do know have a chrono to hand, does anyone know roughly how many coils it would take to bring it under 350?

I will be able to chrono it next weekend but I would like to get the work done before then so i'm not taking it apart at the site.

Originally posted by tisane
    Never heard such a racket, its like taking a hi cap to a rave.

Re: Downgrading spring by cutting coils.

Would not recommend, done it a few times and results vary. You could take off 5 coils and it doesn't budge and then take off another and it goes down to 250. Then it can change again once its worn in.
    For Sale
    Madbull Landmine / Black Hellstorm Gloves / DPM South African Assault Vest

Comment

Regardless of type of spring, it's essential that you close the spring correctly after cutting. You must also bare in mind that most after market springs are non linear, so the "chop one coil for X amount of reduction" is completely a ballpark figure. Coils taken from the tigger packed end will have less of an effect.
      dsgdreamteam

Comment

Personaly i would never recomend cutting springs, thats what caused my DW revolver to pull itself apart (never getting him to do work for me again). Have you tried getting a lower powerd spring??

L.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I did it on my honey badger i had a m110 and it fired 326 i wanted a bit more power so i got a m115 took the bloody fps to 397!! So i cut 5 coils off. 2and a half at a time and got it sat at 347 now and very happy!
          sigpic

Comment

Springs are coiled high tensile wire. Varying tensile strengths are used to produce springs, so cutting coils will make that spring behave in many different ways, yes, it will bring down its strength, but it will also affect in many ways you don't want it to. Therefore, purchase the correct spring would be my advice.
            sigpic
            "And this is why a two finger tap on the shoulder will suffice"

Comment

For what it costs for a new spring try it if it doesnt work buy a new spring...
              sigpic

Comment

To echo the voices of everyone else, for the sake of £10, just get a new spring , you could however, should you have some sorbo hanging around attach it to the cylinder head, reducing your cylinder volume, and in turn fps, and increasing longetivity (probably)

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Thunderfury Find out more about Thunderfury
                Working...
                X