Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a bolt action rifle from scratch

Ok guys, here's the plan!

As a project to keep myself occupied while I job hunt again, I aim to build a sniper rifle from the necessary parts, with a custom wooden stock around it.

What I plan to do is have a metal pipe/casing for the piston, spring, bolt action part, which then holds all these high powered parts. Then shoot through the hopup and inner barrel as normal.

What I need to know, is how to build this safely, and I also need a complete parts list. So far I have on the list:

Inner barrel
    Hopup unit
    Barrel spacers
    Piston
    Spring
    Trigger assembly

What else is needed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Building a bolt action rifle from scratch

What tools do you have available?

Comment

Well my grandad has a large workshop with a large number of woodwork tools available, a few metal work ones available as well. He will be helping me with this, as I'm not an accomplished craftsman myself! :P

Comment

or you having the bb's mag fed or some other method?

Comment

Aim to have them mag fed, when the mag locks into the rifle, is this usually the receiver that locks it, or the body of the rifle? So far most receiver kits I've found cost almost as much as a 2nd hand rife

Comment

Also can a mod move this topic to the projects page! Didn't spot it before. My bad!

Comment

think using an m16 mag release would work you could get the dimensions from an m4/m16 receiver and the make a box section with said dimensions

Comment

Yeah I was thinking M4 mags would be a good way to go. Woul using an m4 internal receiver actually work with a bolt action functioning piston and spring? This is my first go at a project so not 100% sure what parts would and wouldn't work. Most parts will probably be vsr parts if possible

Comment

dont see why not as the air nozzle is long enough to push thee bb up to and in the hop rubber but you would need a mag with mag lips becouse aeg mags or constent feed so find a springer m16 mag

Comment

Like a midcap m16 mag?

So in theory I can put an m4 receiver into the stock, with piston, spring etc behind that, and inner barrel and hop up unit in front?

If anyone has any sort of side on diagram of how it works it would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

Dont think a mid cap would work mate?... You would get double maybe triple feeds... I would go with a springer mag... You could even make it take springer pistol mags?

Comment

I Spode in theory I could! How do springer mags work? I assumed mid caps worked the same way as pistol mags do (excluding the gas obviously)

Just looking at pictures of the m16 receiver kits, do the gears sit inside it as well? Obviously these would need to be removed so all that's left is a piston and spring and air nozzle? Take the pistol grip away too and I'm left with a magwell, trigger assembly.

No idea how the trigger would cause the spring to release without the gears though!

Comment

Im sorry to be a downer but it may seem easy in your head but when you design and machine that parts its alot more complex. Are you trying to make a sort of VSR 10 if you are then are you going to be make the outer barrel,barrel spacers, bolt receiver, trigger unit, Bolt ? If you dont have access to a lathe,mill or tape n dies then there is no point Beacuse the thread on the receiver and barrel the tape and dies to do them cost £50 and after getting the metal and wood it will cost the same as a vsr. I only say this im making a custom Nagant and im doing it from scratch then only standard part im using is the hopup innerbarrel and cylinder.

Comment

Sam,

Not quite 100% from scratch. The conplicated working parts will be 2nd hand parts from other guns, and nodding them so they work together. I'm not going to buy the entire thing and assemble it. The plan is to take the essentials and complicated parts from other guns, and then machine a piece of wood to accommodate these parts.

So far the plan is to take an m4 reciever, remove the gears, change the spring and piston, use a metal pipe (I'm fairly sure I have some lying around that is useable) to enclose the bolt action parts, and a new hop up and inner barrel going into that m4 receiver.

The outer barrel will again be a piece of metal pipe, rather than buying ready made pieces, which should keep costs down. The only parts I'll be spending money on is 2nd hand bits and pieces
                            The trigger

Comment

Forgot to finish that last post.

The trigger will require a bit of work. I'm thinking a little sear in the casing used to hold that larger spring, will hold the piston in place, and the trigger will release it.

Thinking about it, are the pistons in all guns the same size? Finding a sniper rifle piston is wider than an age piston would ruin the whole plan!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Boo-Sabum Ben Instructor & Umpire with the International Taekwon-Do Federation Find out more about Boo-Sabum Ben
                              Working...
                              X