Is changing just the hopup worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is changing just the hopup worth it?

Last night I decided to remove the inner barrel and hopup unit of my warrior L96 and perform a couple of the little mods that are recommended on this forum. I was just cleaning, sealing the hopup rubber with PTFE tape and bridging the H nib with some wire insulation. When I had dismantled the hopup unit I was wondering why do people replace their hopups? It looks like a very very simple device that performs the job very well. I get why people replace the hopup bucking, and the nib that puches into the bucking, but why the whole hopup unit. Is it so you can run the AEG inner barrel? Is the cost vs benifit worth it?

Re: Is changing just the hopup worth it?

Better air seals is generally a factor, better hop wheels (ie tighter) as well.

CA M249 Para - TM Glock 18c - Cyma ASCU AKM (048M)

Comment

Changing how

Replacing the stock unit is worth it unless it's a tm as they are nearly perfect as as prommy neo strike units

But with the l96 clones and even the maruzen versions

The hop unit is flawed by the design as it let's too much air be lost each shot

with the pdi unit and hexegon units they are milled to a tighter measurements

The aeg hop rubbers being used in them units are alot more consistant with each shot of a bb

ptfe mods help reduce if not eliminate the minute air leaks after a shot, keeping each shot consistant

In theory yes it's better to replace the stock unit or rubber for better performing parts

But with the stock unit there is edgi rubbers and barrels that allow the use of the stock unit , but they are expensive

Comment

So, after the mods I made It was shooting nice and straight and every shot seems to go the same distance. Soon I will obtain some chrono figures and range measurements. So the question is, if one was to spend £100 (for instance) on the hopup and rubber would you see a massive improvement over just replacing the stock bucking?

Comment

Really depends how rubbish your previous hop was.
          I got a total lemon in a G36 once, and it caused me to lose 100fps, so in that case, yes, I did see a big improvement.

Comment

It's like anything, your car or hi-fi or whatever. When you upgrade you notice a big difference to begin with, then it gets to a point where the improvement is so small that the average person can't tell the difference.
            sigpic

Comment

That's a clear point to make it sound like robin

Nice words lol

Comment

Cheers mate:D

The way I look at it is the same way me and my ex-father in law looked at speaker cables. He spends about £50 per meter and claims he can tell the difference, but I only spend about £10 a meter before I can't get any improvement.

Equally, give someone with your training a well set up sniper rifle and you're going to use it to it's maximum potential whereas I never went beyond the basic training standard and would not gain from a multi-thousand pound AI product over an old accurised SLR and scope.
                sigpic

Comment

Yeah that is true mate

But you know the newbies of today , want the max and complian when they get little extra umph etc etc

Comment

Well I have been playing airsoft for years but never have i played as a sniper. Bought this gun for £70 with scope, no bi-pod. It shoots more then good enough to try the sniping game out. I think I just needed an excuse to make my own guillie suit.

Well with the mods the hop up for now is good enough and i might change the bucking sometime. But the big bucks are going to be spent on green fee's and ammo not expensive hopup units. :-) 450fps is more than enough.

p.s your signature pic is brill sniper 87

Comment

If you are getting consistent power and accuracy, that should be more than enough for most people.

OK, spending a few hundred quid on upgrades may increase the range a little, but being able to hit the same spot each time is far more important than range alone.

I'd leave it as it is if I was you.
                      sigpic

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

bob_CBR Find out more about bob_CBR
                      Working...
                      X