BB weight/ range/ zero'ing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BB weight/ range/ zero'ing question

Im trying to get my head around optimal bb weights compared to ranges etc.
    Currently my gun is near 500 fps on .2s, i use .4s and im hitting targets at a measured 71M.
    Question is, when setting bolt actions up for long range shooting, what happens when engaging targets closer? I normally set up and zero scope to 40M as thats where most of my shots take place at local site, but then if i go for a longer range shot say 70M, i dont have enough hop.
    If i set hop for 70M then it flies over the 40M target.
    Whats the correct/best procedure???

Also, on a simlar note, will a .28 go further than a .4 with correct amount of hop in a 500fps weapon????

Originally posted by Metalbody
    pulling one off certainly feels good

Re: BB weight/ range/ zero'ing question

have you considered, using 0.3g bbs and setting your rifle to shoot 50/55m but whilst zeroing your scope etc mark out 40m and work out a way of shooting at different distances so in either case you can get both??

just a thourght

Comment

Not really experimented with different weights yet, i use .4s and they seem easy to track as travelling slower and seem very accurate

Comment

Just set it up to shoot as far as you can....

It's a BB so even if its set up nicely for 70 metres and you take out a atarget at 30 metres, there will be hardly any difference in terms of where the bb goes according to your cross hairs, atleast not that i have noticed.

You may end up with the bb being a centimetre below or above the cross hair at most but you will end up getting used to this :/

Just a case of experience, and remember from it.

Comment

but is it going to shoot further with a .28 or a .4? Gun is fully upgraded and i mean "fully"

Comment

a .4, hte .28 will just go sky high usually and accuracy will be poor.

stick to 4's for anything over 450 fps.

Comment

I found .4's get the most distance tbh, also i found a thread somewhere on google (forgot how i found it) and it had a table of weight-fps-distane and the table showed 0.4s getting the most distance... Also im shooting over 70metres with .4's and my vsr only shoots 450fps :S

Comment

Originally posted by Airsoftsniper2011 View Post
                I found .4's get the most distance tbh, also i found a thread somewhere on google (forgot how i found it) and it had a table of weight-fps-distane and the table showed 0.4s getting the most distance... Also im shooting over 70metres with .4's and my vsr only shoots 450fps :S
                This the one?

http://mackila.com/airsoft/ATP/

Comment

when setting your hop, you should be adjusting it so it travels flat, not so it travels up then dips down to get more range

this will solve the missing at shorter ranges

as for weights, its personal preference i find. i use .28's in my 450 ish fps vsr as i still get the accuracy (can hit a mess tin at 60m on a breezy day 75% of the time) but the bb still travels fairly fast. If it travels too slow, then depending on the colour you might find people trying to dodge your ammo

Comment

Originally posted by JapaneseWookie View Post
                    when setting your hop, you should be adjusting it so it travels flat, not so it travels up then dips down to get more range
                    This.

Why is it so difficult for the thousands of mainly younger airsofters who browse youtube all day to understand this?

Youtuber "THIS DUDES RIFLE IS 600FPS, IT HAS THE BEST RANGE."
                    Normal person "No, the hop's been adjusted to hit 400 feet, which is no good in an actual skirmish"
                    Youtuber "LOL, YOU CANT MAKE A RIFLE GO 600FPS SO STFU"

But now there's a fly annoying me so I have to deal with it...

Comment

Originally posted by Cerbo Knight View Post
                      This.

Why is it so difficult for the thousands of mainly younger airsofters who browse youtube all day to understand this?

Youtuber "THIS DUDES RIFLE IS 600FPS, IT HAS THE BEST RANGE."
                      Normal person "No, the hop's been adjusted to hit 400 feet, which is no good in an actual skirmish"
                      Youtuber "LOL, YOU CANT MAKE A RIFLE GO 600FPS SO STFU"

But now there's a fly annoying me so I have to deal with it...

not going to lie but i dont get this lol

Comment

If you go on youtube and disagree with anything anyone says, you instantly get a million 10 year olds who are incredibly mad commenting on your post saying how little you know about airsoft, implying the poster of the video is a god of some sort.

Comment

ahh good old ten year olds in airsoft

btw PP i wasnt implying you're an idiot with my post

Comment

Originally posted by Cerbo Knight View Post
                            If you go on youtube and disagree with anything anyone says, you instantly get a million 10 year olds who are incredibly mad commenting on your post saying how little you know about airsoft, implying the poster of the video is a god of some sort.
                            This. Especially COD videos. I once said that COD was the shittest game Ive ever seen, and I stick with halo. The amount of abuse I had from children was obscene. The video was someone doing 360 no scopes time and time again, and raondomly hitting people. Not a single normal kill in the video. Just retarded lucky shots.

Comment

Off topic much? :P

Anyway, think about the weights of BB likes this...

You can throw a ping pong ball further than a Cricket ball if you are weak, however if you are stronger you can throw the cricket ball further.

Its the one bit of airsoft I couldn't get my head around, someone said the above and it helped.
                              "I'm proud of my invention, but I'm sad that it is used by terrorists .. I would prefer to have invented a machine that people could use and that would help farmers with their work — for example a lawn mower." - Mikhail Kalashnikov

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

private parts Find out more about private parts
                              Working...
                              X