Running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running

So, im surprised there is not a running thread on the first page of the sport forum.

Any runners here? Whether it be the crazies that wear spandex and do marathons or just us normals that wear shorts and t-shirt whilst doing the bare minimum.

Re: Running

I'm in stubbington green running club, been a member for about 6 mths now. Nothing more than half marathons though
    sigpic

Originally posted by Savaged Wolf

Snowdrop - hes quiet but always there ! like a jedi

Comment

Ive been doing a couple of kms a week training for army selection not the greatest ran 5.87km in 22 mins :/
      After cheap project guns and various bits of kit

Comment

Fuzz, have you got a date for selection? You will need to push out way more than a couple of miles. Bft used to be 1.5m in 15 grouped, followed straight after with 1.5m in under 10m 30s best effort, age dependant. The RAF was bleep tested. Someone else might be able to advise better.
        sigpic

Comment

i already passed pre selection and its 1.5mile best effort under 14 minutes for my entry and this was up hills aswell and measured by an app on my ipod so not 100% and full selections not till 29th may
          After cheap project guns and various bits of kit

Comment

1.5m under 14 mins? Standards are slipping!!
            sigpic

Comment

What reg r u joining wen i did selection it was mile and half in under 10 1/2 mins but i was joining the infantry (stafords) each cap badge has a diff standard to reach para's and marines have to do it in less then 10 1/2 mins i think wen you go into training they start u off slow n low miles and bulid u up but doing a few miles a day will help alot

Comment

Running, ewww disgusting :p

Comment

Doing my first 10k tomorrow for fun, hoping to get it done in about 45 minutes. Haven't really done any long distance before but been enjoying the training, even if my knees haven't!
                  "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - Napolean

Comment

10km isn't long distance, it's a reasonable training run. 45mins? That's a good 7 min mile pace. Think you can do that?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Snowdrop View Post
                      1.5m under 14 mins? Standards are slipping!!
                      They are indeed! I remember 1.5 mile squad in 15 mins, then individual 1.5 mile in under 8.5 mins!

That was a few years ago mind, would struggle a bit now lol. Still enjoy running, especially when I can get into the zone with it...but I agree HunterAndy, the knees grumble a bit these days

Comment

started running a few months ago, used to be fit in my teens and twenty's but i'm in my 40's now and over weight after giving up smoking...
                        i have dog's and started power walking instead of strolling then moved on to jogging the flats and down hills and extending the distance a little at a time, still walk some of the uphill bit's but then i live on the downs and the hill's are steep.will keep on but it's getting no easier, was expecting a greater improvement in my stamina and speed but i guess it takes more time when you are older.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzhead View Post
                          Ive been doing a couple of kms a week training for army selection not the greatest ran 5.87km in 22 mins :/

I'm sorry but that post with your signature gif gave me a hilarious mental image.
                          Originally posted by spetsnazdave87
                          It just annoys me that M79s are in MW2 when everyone else is using stupid futureweapons.

Derbyshire- apparently the secret training grounds of the Russian special forces.

Comment

Current PFA (BFT for you oldies) is:

800m warm up in no more than 5 mins (run, walk, mobility stretches etc)

No more than a 10 second wait before the main run. It is still a minimum standard of 1.5 miles (2.4km / 6 laps of running track) in under 10mins 30secs for the youngsters. 11mins for 30-35yrs. 11min 30secs for 35-40yrs.

You still have to complete up too 55 years old whereas after 40 you just used to turn up.

Anyway - I hate running. I need to do it for work and I know it has it's benefits, but the boredom kills me. I did the Fleet half marathon a few years back. One training session of about 4 miles, hung over and my MP3 player broke in between the gun going off and actually reaching the tagged start line That was a shitty day!

Comment

The raf prefer the bleep test. Age dependant but generally for blokes it is around the level 10 mark for a pass, then 1 min each of sit ups and press ups. Forgot the targets.
                              Bleep test is bobbins, knackers your knees with all that turning and whilst the distances work out at around the 1.5min 10 mins it is, I think a bit harder as you have to do it at the tests pace.
                              sigpic

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Rifleman93 Likes: easy women, drink, fast cars, arrse Hates: fridgid women, civvies, journos, crabs, London, expenaive bars, HMYOI Reading Find out more about Rifleman93
                              Working...
                              X