What do you find most important

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you find most important

Doing a bit of business research for the Taekwon-Do School I run, and would like a bit of information from Joe Public if I may!

Id like to know what you, the public, look for when you look at a martial arts school.

Of the factors listed, please pick one, and then in a post give your own top 5 things that you look for.

All help is much appreciated.
    Instructor background
    56.25%
    School size/number of classes running
    12.50%
    Discipline/sport
    25.00%
    Affiliated organisation
    0.00%
    Website presentation
    0.00%
    Gallery content
    0.00%
    Class times of day
    6.25%

The poll is expired.

Re: What do you find most important

I would say,
    1. instructor background
    2. Times of day
    3. Affiliated organisation
    4. Discipline/sport
    5. School size/number of classes running
    Traded with me? please leave feedback as will I http://www.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=104161

Comment

i've only ever done 3 for more than 1 or 2 lessons.

the first class is always important i find, first impressions and all that.
      K98 sale ----> http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...43#post1216243

Comment

Firstly, due to work I'd need to be able to attend a class with a specific timing.
        Secondly, I'd want to know about the background and qualifications of the teacher/tutor/instructor.
        Thirdly, I want to be able to watch the class inorder to guage the relationship between students and instructor.

Aslong as I could tick the above boxes and be happy with it I wouldn't look into anything else.

Comment

Most of the Trainers I have worked with around the world, would all say discipline, secondly to be successful you need recommendations, I know some new karate schools have opened and been huge within 3 months due to recommendations and location of the school.

I also know of some Muay Thai schools that have been running for years and gone down the pan because they became so popular, that the class sizes got too big and pupils werent getting enough one to one training.

So my top 5 would be :

Who recommended it to me and do I value that persons view.
          Discipline
          Instructor background

Comment

Cheers for the feedback so far guys.

Id like to throw another thing out there now!

How much, on a percentage scale, would a special offer (such as a groupon voucher) entice you to join? (0% = totally not interested still and 100% being yeah id definately go for it)

Comment

Originally posted by Boo-Sabum Ben View Post

How much, on a percentage scale, would a special offer (such as a groupon voucher) entice you to join? (0% = totally not interested still and 100% being yeah id definately go for it)
              50%. A voucher doesn't make someone forget about the five points you have already made. The voucher is a gateway to the first lesson, after that its up to you to keep them interested.
              King Arms "King of Arms Builders 2013" Winner
              https://www.youtube.com/user/crasstoe
              www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

Originally posted by Boo-Sabum Ben View Post

Don't give discounts to people, work out the cost of the uniform and either offer free uniform after so many lessons, that way you give an incentive to keep coming back. If you give them discount to start they won't wanna part with more cash ..

Comment

for me it would be
                  1) the one dependant thing would be specific times of sessions
                  2) disapline/sport - i wish i had gone to a more serious school when i used to kick box, i completed all the black sylabus and LOVED the competitions but they were annual and quite small sized
                  3) class size - i'd say 20 maximum for 1 instructor, 30 maximum if there is more than 1 present
                  4) instructor background - my thought on this is the same as in competitive clay pigeon shooting. More often than not a top class shot is a shoddy instructor, whereas as a top class instructor does not HAVE to be a top class shot. If the instructor knows their chosen martial art well and can connect and convery their ideas well, i would rather that than someone who can fight like G S-P but has no social skills
                  5) not too pricey! some schools seem to like to rack up the prices purely because business is thriving and class sizes are large - in the end driving away more people over a long term period
                  Team Ballin' - "It sounds dirty because it is"

Comment

Ideally:

1: Instructor background. I had a Karate instructor as a child who actually went to Japan to compete in tournaments and he was brilliant. My Wing Chun teacher is actually Chinese and was taught by a real Chinese master.

2: How long it takes to progress through the ranks. Anyone who knows anything about martial arts knows the problem of so called "Black Belt" factories. A Black Belt should take years and years to work for no matter how "good" you are.

In reality though its often:

1: Price

2: Time

LOL
                    For Sale (price dropped):Chrome WE 1911 + extras
                    Check out my other sales!

Comment

For me it was more aimed on how varied the training was on each night. But it was also the ability of the rest of the group as if you're aiming to compete and everyone else goes for some 'fun fitness' you are not likley to get the experiance you need.
                      "God is only airborne, because he failed the commando course"

Armoury - M4, M3 shorty, Mac11, M9
                      Ex Armoury - MP5A4, G18c

Comment

Maybe it's just me , but after 4 years of combat jujitsu
                        If I didn't finish a lesson hurt I hadn't learnt anything , i trained 3 nights a week and I was pushed every min of it , my instructor wanted me to learn(RIP)
                        I've been to other classes and it's ether money orientated or very softy softy. Not good

Am starting krag maga soon thoug

Lastchancers.co.uk
                        Lastchancers.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Trigger Last Chancer View Post
                          Am starting krag maga soon thoug
                          You mean "Krav Maga". Its Hebrew for contact combat. I'd love to learn it but never seen anywhere in this country teach it.

Comment

Loads of places in the south bud , were are you based

Lastchancers.co.uk
                            Lastchancers.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Trigger Last Chancer View Post
                              Loads of places in the south bud , were are you based

Lastchancers.co.uk
                              Ah I live oop north, Yorkshire. I'd love to give it a try.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Boo-Sabum Ben Instructor & Umpire with the International Taekwon-Do Federation Find out more about Boo-Sabum Ben
                              Working...
                              X