Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

Silicone Oil for Metal to Metal Lubrication?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silicone Oil for Metal to Metal Lubrication?

I've read that silicone oil should not be used for metal to metal lubrication, is this true?

Thanks.

Re: Silicone Oil for Metal to Metal Lubrication?

Use either graphite lubricant, or lithium grease, in my experience.

Just a simple rubbing with a black graphite pencil will improve the movement massively.
    sigpic

Comment

as the above post, if you use silicon oil or grease for metal to metal lubrication it will vastly increase wear on components use on plastics only
      m14/l1a1/thompson/sten/sig552/kac pdw/svd/l85a2/mp40/m16vn/car15/type56/mac10/scorpion/m79/m1 carbine/m60vn/stoner63/vfc bar/xm177e2/grease gun/ar57/m1911/uzi/aksu/mp5 b&t/ppsh41/mpl/diy sog rpd/acm m500/galil/

Comment

Originally posted by screwdriver View Post
        as the above post, if you use silicon oil or grease for metal to metal lubrication it will vastly increase wear on components use on plastics only
        Love to know the science behind that??
        For the most part oil is oil, as for any oil actualy CAUSING wear on metal parts, load of balls!!

Comment

lol...I have both Silicon and Lithiam grease.

I also use both on gear sets. I find the silicon one is my fav but Im running out so bought some lithium to replace it.

In my opinion the silicon lubricates better as it stays wet and stcky. Lithium on the other hand dries out and I have the decent lithium white grease from a cylce shop.

Out of the two doesn't lithium contain ferrous propperties??? Anyway I have not noticed either causing wear.
          Gun tech.

AIRSOFTERS.........Load of Balls.!

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...r-Offizier-M41

Comment

read this link to a silicone manufacturer bottom of the page, in reference to silicone grease or oil being used in metal to metal applications.
            http://www.acc-silicones.com/applica...brication.ashx
            m14/l1a1/thompson/sten/sig552/kac pdw/svd/l85a2/mp40/m16vn/car15/type56/mac10/scorpion/m79/m1 carbine/m60vn/stoner63/vfc bar/xm177e2/grease gun/ar57/m1911/uzi/aksu/mp5 b&t/ppsh41/mpl/diy sog rpd/acm m500/galil/

Comment

That's for metal to metal high load bearings......Can't really see that applying to our toy guns...Can you???

Just out of interest ...What is a metal to metal high load bearing?
              Gun tech.

Comment

if you look on any airgun or firearm forum it will tell you silicone grease should not be used on metal to metal bearing surfaces .
                silicone is not a metal to metal lubricant, metal to plastic or rubber okay.
                it was only designed to lubricate plastics and areas where nitrile orings would be affected by mineral oils.
                castrol lm grease as sold in halfords in 0.5litre tubs is perfect for bearings and can be used on nylon and nitrile orings (same as we use ).
                bearings and high bearing surfaces include the mesh area between gears and metal to metal sliding parts.

Comment

So have you noticed this wearing by any chance?..lol...

Half a litre will last about 10 years how much we use.
                  Gun tech.

Comment

i havnt noticed the wear because i wouldnt use it due to all the warnings given on every airgun and firearm forum i use.
                    even abbeys website say not to use it.
                    http://www.abbeysupply.com/product12.html

Comment

Been using silicone oil and grease since forever and never noticed any adverse effects.
                      Its an oil, oils are for lubricating end of.
                      Its like Fords scare tactics over what oil to use in "zetec" engines, i use bloody diesel oil in mine, runs like a dream.

Comment

You might not notice the wear, however its there. Certain greases and lubricants are designed for certain aspects, Lithium grease in what we do is best for metal to metal, however, get it near the seals and it will destroy them. Just because you dont believe it it doesnt mean its not true, it is.
                        I work with oils and greases everyday, so know a few things about them, also using the 'Ford scare story' isnt even close to the same reason, they do it to scare people into going into Vospers and spending a fortune on oil and a service.
                        section 24 of the 1968 Act
                        Supplying imitation firearms to minors
                        1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
                        2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

Well im happy using it and i suppose thats all that matters

Comment

Yeah Silicone lube was just not designed to lube metal or metal. It may seem really odd and nonsensical but weird non expected stuff can happen in the realm of lubrication.

Comment

I've actually been using 'Abbey Silicone Grease' on my metal GBB slides for lubrication for a long time now. I've never actually noticed any negative effects (which is not to say they aren't there...). About a month ago, however, I read somewhere that (as has been mentioned) silicone grease is not recommended for metal to metal use.

As a result I bought some 'Abbey Gunlube SM50.' I've not actually had a chance to try it out yet, but does anyone know what 'type' of lubricant it is considered to be (e.g. silicone based, lithium based, etc.)? Or does that not even apply to this product?
                              102nd Chairborne Rangers - "Intelluctus VCRAus recte"

Keyboard Commando - "He who argues until the other person gives up and goes away wins"

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Oldcoldbellybadness Find out more about Oldcoldbellybadness
                              Working...
                              X