X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhodesian SAS captured ANC Para FN FAL Build

My latest project:

Rhodesian Para FN FAL!

I spotted this Rhodie over at FAL Files and its provenance and history inspired me to attempt the most 'arduous' build I've done to date.

The fascinating history of this gun can be read in full here. If you love guns, you'll love this...

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288963

Video for Rhodesia truth here:

What follows are the salient points taken from the above:

The rifle is a FN FAL 50.61, i.e. folding stock with standard barrel length, and in this case has a Type 2 receiver [not possible to reproduce in airsoft form]. It is a Belgian FN-manufactured as opposed to a licence built version, such as the South African R1 which were used extensively in Rhodesia.

This FN has some interesting markings. The serial number “5061” is found throughout, except for the different serial found on the magazine well (“878549”). I’m not certain of the reason for that? The main serial is also apparent on the book image (2nd Edition), and confirms the rifle is one and the same. Also, the rifle has the markings “A.N.C. 1970”, i.e. “Armée Nationale Congolaise” (+ date). In other words, the rifle can be traced back to the Congolese National Army. This presumably ties in with information on the acquisition of the rifle by the Rhodesian army (captured during a raid - see later on). It is interesting to note that the rifle does not have a Rhodesian Army “RA” serial number.

Information gleaned from the previous owner (as previously stated; himself a RhSAS veteran of the Rhodesian bush war), is summarised as follows:

“The rifle was acquired following a Contact in Rhodesia in 1977/78 in which 20 to 30 Terrorists were killed. Only a few ‘folding butt’ FNs were captured and later used by the SAS.

The rifle was placed in the SAS armoury to be used as and when required as was the case with several other captured weapons of various manufacture. It was subsequently used by several different people in the SAS from time to time. It is unlikely that there are more than one or two surviving weapons of its type from the Rhodesian SAS.

This particular weapon just happened to find its way into South Africa through the military as most of the Rhodesian SAS and other Regular Rhodesian Forces were offered positions in the South African Defence Force (SADF) after the change of government in Rhodesia in 1980, that brought in the Zimbabwe era.

It was then licensed as a personal firearm in the normal process as an imported weapon.”

There is some evidence to suggest that security force personnel considered para FNs to be prized acquisitions. In “SAS Rhodesia”, aside from the use of a variety of Eastern Bloc weaponry by the SAS, by the far the majority of soldiers carried fixed-stock FN/R1s. In all images in the book where para FN versions can be seen, these repeatedly seem to be carried by one or other of the more ‘known’ operators, notably Chris Schulenberg, Andy Chait and Dave Berry.

The following excerpt from Dr J.R.T Wood’s book, “Counter Strike from the Sky” – The Rhodesian All-Arms Fireforce in the War in the Bush 1974-1980 (p170), also gives some support to this. The following refers to a joint RLI / SAS cross-border operation against Zanla (“Operation Dingo”) at Chimoio in Mozambique, November 1977.

“The search of Pasindina 2 yielded only one body but a number of documents.
    At 08.37 Stop 1 reported their search of the wooden buildings of Pasindina 2, the convalescent camp, had yielded a body and a quantity of documents. They did not mention the two prized folding-butt FN rifles found by Tony Coom. Lieutenant Mark Adams appropriated one and Coom retained the other, and would use it for the rest of his service in 3 Commando.”

So, that's the history; here's the build. I'm pushed for time right now but hopefully these pics will tell the story.

I actually got in touch with the owner of the RS rifle and he's been most helpful during the build; even supplying some repro paint which he'd got made up earlier.

Getting the engraving done was a bit of a bind but it worked out ok. The worst part was having to buy THREE FALs; two King Arms and one Quality Power OSW (just to get the correct front and rear sights)!

It's by no means 100% accurate but I think I've "captured the spirit" of the original with this build.

Now Rhodie FALs are an acquired taste... those of a nervous disposition should look away now!

The Real Steel:

One of the donors (note wrong sights, wrong gas block, wrong flash hider, wrong handguard, no carry handle (or cut-out for one), wrong outer barrel length etc etc).

All had to change, be manufactured, bought:

The build:

Test plate (just as well - the engraver spelt it wrong!):

Built (note RS 'Rhodie' handguards and carry handle):

Painted:

Last edited by Panoptes; 12 July, 2012, 22:41.

Re: Rhodesian SAS captured ANC Para FN FAL Build

Sir I love that !
    Please do not advertise on this forum

Comment

Absolutely stonking - well done. For a while now I've been building a Rhodesian 'Sanitized' R1, and was despairing about how I might get the correct gas block and flash-hider (I looked into the real-steel rules and regs but flash-hiders at least are a VERY grey area). Now that I know the QP has the correct close eared gas block, my build can continue! I've already had a custom steel outer barrel made to some dimensions kindly provided by a member of the NRF.

Comment

Cheers.

Yes, flash hiders and gas blocks are Section 5 parts - and therefore illegal without a relevant FAC. Also, if a flash hider can fit on a RS weapon, whether it's made from steel, aluminium or cardboard it's also illegal. Fact™

Yes, helpful chaps on NRF. Good forum, too.

Comment

The law certainly is a minefield! Well, I'm off to hunt for a QP OSW so I can get this damned gas block. And another KA so I can get the correct flash-hider. The things airsoft does to us...O_O

As soon as I've got the old girl finished I'll put her up - whether or not she lives up to THIS remains to be seen (I doubt it).

Yes the NRF chaps are great as are the FAL Filers - I spend as much time on those sites now as anywhere, researching my Rhodesian build/loadout details and then sniping up the appropriate parts in the FalFiles Marketplace.

It's an expensive addiction.

Comment

Wow, that really is stunning. I've wanted to make a rhodie rifle since discovering airsoft but just never had the cash or time to sink into a project. Do you Mind me asking how well the ka an sa58 parts fit together? Was there much of a difference, I always thought they were completely different designs an incompatible for some reason.

Well done again for making such a great rifle, really am impressed.

Comment

Thanks!

The only part I used from the OSW was the gas parts/front sight and the rear sight. It was a bitch to get the front sight to fit over the front sling loop retaining rings on the KA outer barrel but that was the only major 'engineering' required. I had to file them down a bit to get it to slide over. Other than that, no real headache apart from building up the rear sight and cutting the slot for the carry handle; itself a surprisingly easy task (I thought it was going to be a nightmare but two vertical cuts with a hacksaw and a bit of Dremel action and it was done). The hanguard pin positions aligned and fitted fine, too.

The more observant among us will note the original has a type 2 receiver (see the 'arched' cuts). That wasn't going to happen easily so I just ran with what was achievable without breaking the bank or pushing my Dremel skillz well beyond my ham-fisted limits!

If you have the cash spare, you can get the three donors and it's a relatively easy 'chop and change' build. I understand that KA are re-issuing the FAL full length soon but may just be rumour control. I didn't have the patience to wait and see. You can always sell-off parts to partially recoup your costs as I did. I didn't mention that I had to get an outer barrel extension too (75mm) but that was easy enough from PMechanics.com. I suppose you could manage it with just a KA FAL Carbine and a QP OSW but you'd need to do a fair bit of work extending the outer barrel. Can't really comment further as it's not the route I chose.

I'm a picky, fussy, minutiae-obsessed git at the best of times but this bad boy has me grinning like a cheshire cat!!!
              Last edited by Panoptes; 17 July, 2012, 01:48.

Comment

...missed the edit window:

It was a very satisfying project in terms of doing not only something that's not available off the shelf in airsoft but also a tribute, if you will, to an individual, historic and documented firearm.

Comment

Amazing Pan :D

Comment

Stunning work as usual Pan.

CA M249 Para - TM Glock 18c - Cyma ASCU AKM (048M)

Comment

That has to be one of the most orginal builds I have seen. Lots of people make realy impressive customs and my hat goes of to them, but this is impressive. I realy love it.
                      Talking to yourself is fine, its when you talk to yourself, argue with yourself and then refuse to talk to yourself that you need to worry.

Comment

Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
                        If you have the cash spare, you can get the three donors and it's a relatively easy 'chop and change' build. I understand that KA are re-issuing the FAL full length soon but may just be rumour control. I didn't have the patience to wait and see. You can always sell-off parts to partially recoup your costs as I did. I didn't mention that I had to get an outer barrel extension too (75mm) but that was easy enough from PMechanics.com. I suppose you could manage it with just a KA FAL Carbine and a QP OSW but you'd need to do a fair bit of work extending the outer barrel. Can't really comment further as it's not the route I chose.

I'm a picky, fussy, minutiae-obsessed git at the best of times but this bad boy has me grinning like a cheshire cat!!!
                        It's good to know that a full length KA might be back in the works, I happen to have one of the really short tactical ones. It's completely shagged and been sitting in a cupboard for years half assembled. I have been hanging onto it for that one day I get some cash and time together. Been thinking recently of a project using parts from one of the new(ish) SA 58 Clones to lengthen it an add a barrel extension, but didn't rate my engineering skills enough. Though from the sounds of it I'd be better off waiting for the KA one to re-appear. Thanks for the pmechanics.com tip and well done again.

I bet the grin will stay for a while too. Do you happen to have a Rhodie kit to go with it? It strikes me as very hard stuff to get old of.

Comment

Fantastic work and attention to detail Pan! Almost makes me want one...

Comment

Originally posted by troutsniffer View Post
                            Do you happen to have a Rhodie kit to go with it? It strikes me as very hard stuff to get old of.
                            I wish!!! :p Can't find original stuff anywhere.

Comment

Pan, you have probably the best builds out there.

Nice one, can't wait to see what you're going to pull out of the bag next!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Panoptes Gunnoisseur [n] pron: ['gun-uh-sur', -soor'] [Purveyor of fine taste in firearms]. Find out more about Panoptes
                              Working...
                              X