1911 Build/ Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 Build/ Discussion Thread

There seems to be a lot of chat in the "Pictures" thread and there are already a tonne of separate questions in the technical section so I thought it would be easier to amalgamate everyone's knowledge into one nice and condense thread. I know there are plenty of people with 1911 build experience on this forum so feel free to post build ideas etc as well as new people to ask questions.

Please add pictures if you have them as they are useful.

Have fun!
    Last edited by Gaffa; 26 December, 2011, 14:50. Reason: Cleaning
    WTB: TM HI-CAPA 5.1! CASH WAITING! PM ME!

Re: 1911 Build/ Discussion Thread

Right first question:

What will a Tanio Koba Twist be like in a TM M1911?

Comment

Originally posted by Orion1 View Post
      Right first question:

What will a Tanio Koba Twist be like in a TM M1911?
      Lovely, they work well, however I have always been more of a fan of the "Uprated hop rubber + tightbore" persuasion, but each to their own.

Bladerider: True, but what that wonderful man is good for is sound advice, whether or not you buy that way is up to you, your Mrs and your bank balance

Also, does anyone know where/if you can get display stands for TM 1911s, I have seen them for WAs but never for a TM and my baby needs to be on display. Preferably in black!
      Last edited by Gaffa; 26 December, 2011, 14:43. Reason: Cleaning

Comment

Anyone had much experience with a full sized recoil rod on a 1911?
        I need to finish rebuilding my Wilson Combat and make it a wee bit more modern.

I also need to find a mainspring housing pin

Comment

@Ben - True, it is good work but it is also expensive, I agree with both and have both used his services and turned them down so each to his own!

@Matt - Sorry buddy but never used one in mine I'm afraid!

@EVERYONE! - I have found an "Airsoft Surgeon Springfield Operator kit" in the UK, they seem to be out of stock/discontinued everywhere else, but it is £310 for just the kit! Is that too much for what it is or do you think the rarity justifies this?

Comment

I'm willing to say no!

On the topic of 1911 builds. Best place to buy real 1911 polymer grips that ships to the uk?

Comment

Originally posted by Boo-Sabum Ben View Post
              I'm willing to say no!

On the topic of 1911 builds. Best place to buy real 1911 polymer grips that ships to the uk?
              Depends which type of grips, if you want the Pachmayr ones they will ship them straight from their website.

Comment

Question....

Is it worth upgrading a TM M1911 internals? I am going for looks more than preformance.

Comment

Looking for ones that are polymer, with thumb indents, and varying patterns. But can't find many like that!

Comment

Originally posted by Orion1 View Post
                    Question....

Is it worth upgrading a TM M1911 internals? I am going for looks more than preformance.
                    If you're going with metal upgrades then perhaps upgraded hammer and recoil springs and maybe hi-flow valves, that's what I use in mine, plus I like to whack a tightbore in there, but that's not needed, just preference.

Comment

Originally posted by Boo-Sabum Ben View Post
                      for all my 1911 grip needs i use hogue inc (getgrip) or hogueauction. the former have lots of grips including the soft rubber type, the latter is awesome for the much cheaper 'cosmetic seconds' section.

when u say polymer, do you mean the soft rubber type grips or hard polymer like the fake ivory grips available?

for example these are the fake ivory type on a (well used) plastic bell 1911a1, they're an off-white hard polymer material, and they're cold to the touch

these grips are so called 'cosmetic seconds' and cost about £20 ish inc shipping

Comment

Originally posted by mad.matt View Post
                        Anyone had much experience with a full sized recoil rod on a 1911?
                        I need to finish rebuilding my Wilson Combat and make it a wee bit more modern.

I also need to find a mainspring housing pin
                        Just get a rod and new through type (hole in it 4 rod) plug, no mods needed. 20 secs to fit it.

RS is same size iirc or go to the DENnis Trinity for a sheriff steel pin set @ $16, uk retailer or local shop will get/have spares just prob not listed on their sites so ring around.
                        Western arms pistol parts needed please pm me
                        Any Full Metal WA pistols? Sell me them!!

Comment

Originally posted by TB-Stalker View Post
                          @EVERYONE! - I have found an "Airsoft Surgeon Springfield Operator kit" in the UK, they seem to be out of stock/discontinued everywhere else, but it is £310 for just the kit! Is that too much for what it is or do you think the rarity justifies this?
                          How much are they in hk?? It depends how much you want it really

Comment

Originally posted by bladerider View Post
                            Just get a rod and new through type (hole in it 4 rod) plug, no mods needed. 20 secs to fit it.

RS is same size iirc or go to the DENnis Trinity for a sheriff steel pin set @ $16, uk retailer or local shop will get/have spares just prob not listed on their sites so ring around.
                            Cheers dude,

I have a full sized Recoil Rod (stolen off my Dragon Hicapa) it's finding the through barrel plug by itself that's proving to be a ballache.
                            Bushing wise, I was planning on the Punisher Compensator.

Will get in touch with my local to see if they have/can get any. If not, I'll speak to my friendly machine shop, should cost £2 IF THAT!

Comment

Originally posted by mad.matt View Post
                              Cheers dude,

I have a full sized Recoil Rod (stolen off my Dragon Hicapa) it's finding the through barrel plug by itself that's proving to be a ballache.
                              Bushing wise, I was planning on the Punisher Compensator.

Will get in touch with my local to see if they have/can get any. If not, I'll speak to my friendly machine shop, should cost £2 IF THAT!

If you have a engineering place near you bring the rod and old plug and get them to turn you one with a hole or drill the one you have come on bro you were going there for a pin anyway lol.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

TB-Stalker Running a small upgrade service for people looking to build themselves a DMR. Find out more about TB-Stalker
                              Working...
                              X