• Show
Clear All

• SRC XM8

So guys

im not replacing that young chap that continues to ask questions

ive had a look and couldnt see anything

tried searching to and nothing came up

Ok,

So im looking at getting an SRC XM8 for an MGS4 load out of foxhound (gamer Geek)

has anyone got any first hand experience with said gun? does it have a rail on the bottom?
    If you ever need any weightlifting, protein or gym advice let me know.

Re: SRC XM8

Google "SRC XM8 review". There are loads of reviews on YouTube too.

IMO it looks great and should be usable. I haven't used one but going by the reviews you could do worse.
    King Arms "King of Arms Builders 2013" Winner
    https://www.youtube.com/user/crasstoe
    www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

Cheers matey

was just checking on here first as the good old server locked off youtube

Comment

Yeah - I have one in Olive Drab and love it. Make sure you go for the Gen3 version (this refers to the version of the gun rather than the gearbox. Gen3 is the newer one with the upgraded gearbox etc..) - the same rock solid internals as the SRC G36 Gen3 that most people recommend No rail under the foregrip, but you could mod one on. You do get a rail under the scope, so you can replace the scope with something else if you don't like it - it's more for looks rather than actually functional.

The only think I've found is that it's a bit fussy with hi-caps. The SRC one feeds great, but a TM one doesn't feed at all so you may need to test a few.

Comment

I hope you really like the sound of creaking plastic. CREEEAAAAKKKKKK. Whilst they are a very capable gun out of the box, being internally rocksolid, ROF is a bit slow but thats just the stock SRC motor (10 rounds per second on an 8.4v). The 3x scope is well made, heavy and solid but really unusable unless you have all the time in the world to aim as it's tiny and doesnt have great eye relief. Luckily you can remove it and there a 20mm rail underneath so you can put a reflex red dot on or a stubby Eotech. The flip up iron sites are actually very usable without any optics on, but then the gun is extraordinarily light when no scope is attached. You can quite happily one hand the gun even with the scope on. Also keep an eye on the black plastic part on the bottom of the grip as it likes to warp and break, nothing a bit of Tape around the join to the rest of the gun won't stop.

But dear lord that creak. They've improved the old GWS design its based off (Which I have sitting in my draw in pieces) quite a bit with the use of thicker, polymer body and an extra pin where the carry handle meets the foregrip. You could, by being a little bit savy stop a fair amount of the creak by adding a thin layer of adhesive like Aryldite where all stock and forgrip meets the Main body, wait for it to dry and then reassemble. This would make for a snugger fit and allow for less movement.

Also mag wise, I found if you buy the ARES/Star mids caps you need to file a small amount of the triange protrusion on each mag down a bit so it plays nicely with the XM8's mag catch. This does not effect how they work in other guns and can post a picture up if you want.
          "For us, it keeps parenting essentials, a phone, a digital SLR camera and pistol magazines all neatly organised and accessible" - 5.11 Review

'Basically, Airsoft is Prom Night' - Brother Captain Ryan

Comment

Cheers guys for all the advice so far

im trying to find a Gen3 somewhere and im assuming though the zeroone ones are a gen 3 model?

haha i dont mind creaks living in a victorian house you get use to it :p

Comment

Originally posted by woody549 View Post
              im assuming though the zeroone ones are a gen 3 model?
              ring them up they properly could get you one =)

hoarder of ksc glocks currently 11+ parts and counting

Comment

Originally posted by woody549 View Post
                Cheers guys for all the advice so far

im trying to find a Gen3 somewhere and im assuming though the zeroone ones are a gen 3 model?
                There you go:

The SRC AEG MP40 are currently Gen 3
                The SRC AEG G36K are currently Gen 3
                The SRC AEG M4 Micro are currently Gen 3
                The SRC AEG XM8 (Black) are currently Gen 3 <<<<<<<<
                The SRC AEG XM8 (Tan) are currently Gen 2
                The SRC AEG G36KSK are currently Gen 2
                The SRC AEG G36C are currently Gen 2
                The SRC AEG M4 SD are currently Gen 3
                The SRC AEG AK47 RPK are currently Gen 2
                The SRC AEG G36E are currently Gen 2
                The SRC AEG G36KV are currently Gen 2
                The SRC AEG G36MG are currently Gen 2
                The SRC AEG MP5K are currently Gen 2
                The SRC AEG MP5K U are currently Gen 2
                The SRC AEG MP5 A5 are currently Gen 2
                The SRC AEG MP5K PDW are currently Gen 2
                The SRC AEG MP5 AU are currently Gen 2
                The SRC AEG MP5 SDU are currently Gen 2

Comment

Cheers matey tan isn't a gen 3 sad times I may do an order maybe I could get one in

Comment

Give them a shout, there may be a vaild reason although given that Tan doesnt really work in the Uk black is still better

Comment

Haha it's where I'm going to sound really fussy but it needs to be tan for the load out :p

Comment

I understand hehe Give them a call and see whats what!

Comment

Worst case you get a black one and spray it :P
                          King Arms "King of Arms Builders 2013" Winner
                          https://www.youtube.com/user/crasstoe
                          www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

I think Akiba (In MGS4) uses the XM8 and their team (RAT PT 01). Snake uses a M4 SOPMOD.
                            "I am still ready to shake hands with anyone who designs a better assault rifle than mine." - Mikhail Kalashnikov

Comment

Those whole foxhound Unit uses them in 4 and yes snake uses a Sopmod

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

woody549 Chilled as a panda in the zoo Find out more about woody549
                              Working...
                              X