Is the Ares G36 family any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Ares G36 family any good?

As the title states I’m looking at the Ares G36 Family of guns. I may just be naive but I can’t see there being too much difference internally between the C, K and G36. So are they any good? I’m preferably looking at the K or the G36.

All opinions welcome as I’m after a reasonable priced gun, something between the £200-£300 mark and I am a fan of the G36. But what are your guy’s/girls opinions on the Ares?

Cheers
    Glenn

Re: Is the Ares G36 family any good?

Yep, pretty much the best you can buy. I will say though that ARES' poly-fibre receivers have been less than impressive of late; reverting to almost TM-style shiny ABS plastic...

Comment

I suspect that I am one of the very few people to have a bad experiance with my old Ares G36. It was a quality gun, the build was second to none but.... second time I ever took it out the gearbox was toast. Gear teeth shattered all over the place. I had to buy a 2nd hand Star gearbox and replce all the internals. Not happy!

I think I will be the exception to the rule as they are usually pretty solid.

Only advice I can give you if you decide to buy one is diconnect the blow back (very easy to do, just check You Tube etc) as it's all noise and show but just makes the gun more sluggish if using 8.4V batteries.

Comment

What can I run it on? I’m going to guess I won’t be getting a 9.6 in the Hand guard?

Comment

Yes and no... I love the ideas in them, but star/ares are notorious for terrible internals, and the ones I worked on have shown nothing to disprove that.

Both of the g36s I've seen had the piston head shatter in such a way that I actually couldn't find much trace of the o-ring in there afterwards... I mean, HOW?!

The hop/nozzle assembly on them is proprietary and the air nozzle doesn't have an oring. On one of them, the fact that the PH shattered lead to the gearbox case breaking clean in half on one side... from the rear of the cylinder window down past the rear of the trigger. The fiddly little springs in them are fragile and break easily. And the less said about the micro switch the better really (has really bad bouncing issues, causing excess wear on the motor, and blowing/overhating many mosfets, whilst only being rated for 15A. An airsoft gun can easily reach 30A in a mildly stressful setup). Oh and the motors Ares use in general are pants, both in performance and the fact that they break really quickly and easily. I even had some of the screws just shear off their thread before the case was even close and the heads on them are easy to warp.

So its a shame really. I mean, the quick change spring system is lovely, the 1-screw detachable blow-back is great and their externals are fantastic. But you look inside and see that some parts are worse than in your <$100 china gun. For a £350-400 rifle? Really? Lets hope to god they don't interfere with Beta-Lab's upcoming rifles or seriously up their internal quality. Because until they do, I refuse to buy anything with their name on.

Don't get me wrong it CAN be a good gun, but needs some serious mods to get it to actually last. That's new motor, new piston head, new custom nozzle, sorbo padding, new (custom) trigger assembly often even new gears. THEN and only then, is it the fantastic gun it should be.

Comment

My Umarex G36KV is pretty nice, although its been in the shop for a bit being repaired as it gets stuck on auto. Not really a big issue though.
            Coventry University Airsoft Society - "Rock Up Late, Fuck Shit Up, Go Home"

Comment

Originally posted by Watson25 View Post
              What can I run it on? I’m going to guess I won’t be getting a 9.6 in the Hand guard?
              9.6v's fit fine in the hand guard, plenty of room. But as above, the internals seem a bit of a weakness so maybe better not to push them too hard!

Comment

fire selector jamming is a big issue with them ,had two with the same fault ,internals are not very good either and not compatable with with very much for upgrades .src version 3 box guns are better or jg .much stronger and cheaper to buy

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Watson25 Names Glenn. I like to Airsoft. Find out more about Watson25
                Working...
                X