advice on upgrading r85a1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice on upgrading r85a1

Hey there guys I've just recently started airsofting and have just got my license and am loving it. Years ago I bought a ARMY R85A1 and thought I'd test it out again with the hope of using it in future games. Unfortunately I am having a few problems with it. The ROF seems to be descent but the accuracy and range are pretty crap. Every 20-30 fired I'll get a really accurate and ranged BB but its very inconsistent. I was thinking of adding a tighter barrel and new hopup system to sort this out but I thought I would get someone else's opinion with more experience before I bought anything. What parts are compatible with this model and is it worth upgrading or getting a newer rifle???

Re: advice on upgrading r85a1

Hi there,

Yes a decent hop rubber and tight bore barrel will increase fps a bit bit will increase your range and groupings alot.
    If the rifle has been sitting for a while make sure the hop is lubed a bit with silicon spray will sort that out.
    sigpic

Comment

cheers buddy any recommendations on hopup and barrel make to go for? and what will fit in the r85. I assume most will?
      Last edited by andy2626; 8 May, 2012, 20:34.

Comment

Best upgrade for any ARMY gun is to put it in the bin :P

But failing that, sounds like you might have some airseal issues.

Take it apart if you can, silicone grease all the O-rings on the piston/cylinder, PTFE tape the cylinder head and hop rubber. That should be a good start. Im not sure what type of hop unit a R85 uses, dont know if there is an upgrade available, but as for the hop rubber itself, cant go far wrong with a Guarder clear silicone rubber and a madbull black python V2 barrel.

Comment

double poooost

Comment

cheers yer I was thinking that lol but seeing if i can do some mods to it without buying a new rifle, however if it does remain a pain i guess I'll have to invest in a new rifle

Comment

Mad bull mk3 6.3 mm inner barrel, I wouldn't go any tighter than that or you risk bb's jamming in the barrel.
              Systema or mad bull shark hop rubber, these come in different rubberness and you would need a medium not a hard hop rubber, my friend put a hard hop rubber in his Sa80 and it was to strong for an aeg and kept jamming.
              sigpic

Comment

would it possibly be worth buying a better quality hop up unit altogether?

Comment

I'm not sure of the hop in a R85 wether it's a dile or slide configuration, if the hop stays as it is set under fire then I'd only change the hop nub tbh.
                  sigpic

Comment

i run a g&g green rubber in my r85 , standard v2 sector gear, standard v2 piston , 10.45mm piston spacer , g&P hop unit , and a standard brass barrel 6.06 or 6.07 cant remember and it rocks , might get a tbb but the range and accuracy are great as is
                    you may be a king or a lowly street sweeper , sooner or later you all dance with the reaper

Originally posted by Barlow

alcohol + man up + lowered amibitions = lots of sex^2 = ex-who?

Comment

thanks that is most useful. Think I may invest in another rifle for reliability, and have this as a project rifle, gut it out and stick some higher quality internals in it.

Comment

ICS make a very good L85. I would just buy one of them as it will be a much better rifle even without upgrades.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

andy2626 Find out more about andy2626
                        Working...
                        X