Gbb rifle yay or nay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gbb rifle yay or nay?

ok so i am thinking of changing and getting a gbb rifle something like the scar-l just wanted some help to see if they really are worth getting i have seen some videos and they look awesome.

1st time venturing into GBBRs?

Comment

Re: Gbb rifle yay or nay?

yes

Comment

woodland in the summer yay!! winter and or urban.. nay.
        most urban sites ban then as some are wildly inconsistant.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I can only tell you my experience and opinion, but the current gas in the mag GBBr’s don’t work for me and the way I like to skirmish.

I’ll justify that by explaining how I play and what I would want from a GBBr. The way I prefer to play is to be a assault player, normally right in the middle of any action. I like using full auto, because I find it a lot of fun. Due to the British weather gas in the mag GBBr’s just don’t work for me. If you are the type of player that likes to hang back, or only takes the odd shot, GBBr’s will be fine. I know a lot of people have good experience with GBBr, they are great fun, nothing is as much fun as shooting with a GBBr.

I use external air powered GBBr’s and they are fantasic. The give you all the positive points of gas in the mag systems, but they are usable for full auto fire and are not effected by cold weather. There is a down side, and that is the hose.

Comment

GBBR Upsides:
            1. Realistic Dimensions. Not having to pack a motor into the grip or a battery into the foregrip or stock means that the ONLY 100% dimensionally accurate guns are GBBRs.
            2. Recoil. Though TM's Recoil-Shock guns are good (some discussion about whether the recoil is in the right direction or not) it's really not the same thing at all. GBBRs are pretty much the most fun you can have with airsoft guns.
            3. Noise. Instead of making a noise like a broken sewing machine, GBBRs actually make a passable 'bang'. OK, so it's not much louder than a GBB pistol, but it's a significant improvement.
            4. Trigger Response. Instant; there is no gearing to wind.
            5. Variable Power. Using an NPAS, you can vary your weapon between regular <350fps up to >450fps, which allows you to respond to temperature changes and also to changes in role (e.g. to a DMR).
            6. Rarity. Full-size GBB rifles are still quite uncommon.

GBBR Downsides:
            1. Maintenance. GBBRs take a considerable amount of work to tune, and then regular maintenance to run well (mostly cleaning and greasing). They're MUCH more maintenance-intensive than AEGs.
            2. Reliability. If you DON'T perform regular maintenance you can expect your gun to foul, misfeed and generally underperform. Even if you do scrupulously maintain it, if you run it on propane without properly upgrading it parts will wear out. (Parts will probably wear out anyway.)
            3. Inconsistency & Cooldown. Gas guns will never be as consistent as AEGs or springers, and are (some models worse than others) prone to cooldown during automatic fire.
            4. Cold-Weather Performance. Like any gas-fuelled gun, GBBRs don't like the cold. As mentioned above, if you use an external rig (which can be as simple as sacrificing a magazine to be tapped etc.) you can completely avoid this problem, as well as the problems of cooldown. Alternatively, some GBBRs have CO2 magazines - these should work just fine in cold weather.
            5. Legality. Quite a large minority of sites won't let GBBRs play, owing to concerns about inconsistent power output. You may be able to persuade them otherwise if you can demonstrate your gun chronos at a safe level.

All in all GBBRs are amazing weapons, but definitely not your ONLY weapon. There will be times when you won't be able to use it, so make sure you have a backup AEG. Otherwise - go for it, they're awesome.

Comment

so could i have say an external air powered we scar?

Comment

Yeah. You could do it in one of a couple of ways - either by tapping the body for an external air hose (neater, but irreversible) or by tapping a few magazines (very easy, gun itself is not changed at all, but hose is very obvious and can get in the way). Then, you need a rig - a cylinder, a regulator, and a hose.

Comment

Pure hows that Sig?
                  If you ever need any weightlifting, protein or gym advice let me know.

Comment

It's excellent, thanks for asking. I fitted Nineball's tightbore, hop-rubber and piston lid a few weeks back, and it's just been treated to a real-steel SIG Sauer mainspring housing, to allow me to fit Hogue Extreme-Series Aluminium grips (matte-black, chequered). Also just fitted a Prime dummy firing pin (v.2) which is the shiznit. Now waiting on my Trijicon SG-01 tritium night sights, my custom extended VFC CNC-steel threaded outer barrel (got a MadBull Gemtech Trinity to go with that) and a Streamlight TLR-2, when I can find one. I'll update the review.

Comment

Originally posted by PureSilver View Post
                      GBBR Upsides:
                      1. Realistic Dimensions. Not having to pack a motor into the grip or a battery into the foregrip or stock means that the ONLY 100% dimensionally accurate guns are GBBRs.
                      2. Recoil. Though TM's Recoil-Shock guns are good (some discussion about whether the recoil is in the right direction or not) it's really not the same thing at all. GBBRs are pretty much the most fun you can have with airsoft guns.
                      3. Noise. Instead of making a noise like a broken sewing machine, GBBRs actually make a passable 'bang'. OK, so it's not much louder than a GBB pistol, but it's a significant improvement.
                      4. Trigger Response. Instant; there is no gearing to wind.
                      5. Variable Power. Using an NPAS, you can vary your weapon between regular <350fps up to >450fps, which allows you to respond to temperature changes and also to changes in role (e.g. to a DMR).
                      6. Rarity. Full-size GBB rifles are still quite uncommon.

GBBR Downsides:
                      1. Maintenance. GBBRs take a considerable amount of work to tune, and then regular maintenance to run well (mostly cleaning and greasing). They're MUCH more maintenance-intensive than AEGs.
                      2. Reliability. If you DON'T perform regular maintenance you can expect your gun to foul, misfeed and generally underperform. Even if you do scrupulously maintain it, if you run it on propane without properly upgrading it parts will wear out. (Parts will probably wear out anyway.)
                      3. Inconsistency & Cooldown. Gas guns will never be as consistent as AEGs or springers, and are (some models worse than others) prone to cooldown during automatic fire.
                      4. Cold-Weather Performance. Like any gas-fuelled gun, GBBRs don't like the cold. As mentioned above, if you use an external rig (which can be as simple as sacrificing a magazine to be tapped etc.) you can completely avoid this problem, as well as the problems of cooldown. Alternatively, some GBBRs have CO2 magazines - these should work just fine in cold weather.
                      5. Legality. Quite a large minority of sites won't let GBBRs play, owing to concerns about inconsistent power output. You may be able to persuade them otherwise if you can demonstrate your gun chronos at a safe level.

All in all GBBRs are amazing weapons, but definitely not your ONLY weapon. There will be times when you won't be able to use it, so make sure you have a backup AEG. Otherwise - go for it, they're awesome.
                      Really good post, and I agree with everything when you are talking about gas in the mag systems.

For External air versions I would say that it has all the upsides, and you can remove 1,2,3 & 4 from the downsides too. You will have to add the hose as a downside, but it's a price I think more than worth it.

Comment

thanks for the help guys really helped :D.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Kurt 3213 Find out more about Kurt 3213
                        Working...
                        X