Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marui 1911 Gas consumption

Hey guys,

Wanted to do something ive been puttin off for ages, which is build myself a lovely little 1911 to skirmish with.

Now I'm used to hi Capas and guns with big thick mags, and the 1911 mags are a lot smaller.

I'm not too fussed about how many shots I get from each mag. As long as each mag can reliably empty itself of rounds, then that's fine with me. How many shots do you realistically get from each full mag? I read a lot of people don't even get off a full mag

Also, I would probably be going for a set of 40 round mags, what's the gas consumption like on these?

Cheers!

Re: Marui 1911 Gas consumption

When I had an MEU it could get 26 shots off ok, just about, with Guarder gas and slow shooting, but only around 20 with faster fire or lesser powerful gasses.

Comment

You were doing well...

Originally posted by Boo-Sabum Ben View Post
      I'm not too fussed about how many shots I get from each mag.
      ...up until this point...

As long as each mag can reliably empty itself of rounds[.]
      Reliably emptying itself of rounds depends on how many rounds you plan on loading, for one thing. If you only load 7+1 rounds in the magazine, I'm pretty sure the standard mag will reliably fire all shots and lock back the slide. If you fill the magazine to capacity, you will be pushing your luck. The problem with single-stack 1911s is their comparatively small gas reservoir and no amount of finesse, lightweight parts or polishing the action can change that. A standard TM 1911 will, in warm weather, empty its magazine and lock back almost all of the time. In colder weather you will be restricted to fewer shots if you want the slide to lock back on empty, rather than fizzle out or vent. I'm afraid I don't have any experience with the 40rnd magazines.

When you say 'build', are you talking MBK-build? Metal and single-stacker magazines means fewer shots; maybe even 10 or less in cold British weather. When you say 'little', are you talking figuratively, or do you mean a Commander, sub-compact or Detonics-size gun? Do you have a preferred brand of base gun?

Comment

The plan is to have a plastic body.1911, but lots of different external parts from other pistols like the foliage warrior and night warrior and have plenty of different options when it comes to external looks.

With regards to the mags, when I say will it empty a full magazine, what I mean is a mag full of gas, and full of bbs.

Comment

The plan is to have a plastic body [1911]
          So, 5" plastic. That's much more gas efficient than metal, so you're going in the right direction.

With regards to the mags, when I say will it empty a full magazine, what I mean is a mag full of gas, and full of bbs.
          Going from owning a Hi-Capa to a 1911 is a bit like going from owning a car to an ocean liner; you don't get miles to the gallon anymore, you get gallons to the mile; instead of getting multiple magazines to the fill, you're now going to be getting multiple fills to the magazine (well, a slight exaggeration). A single-stack 1911 will not in my experience consistently empty a full magazine and lock back unless conditions are warm and shots are spaced out. The traditional solution to this problem is to under-load your magazines to a small capacity which more accurately reflects the gas reservoir's size. I don't know about your 40rnd magazines, though.

Comment

Sorry forgot to add that as well. Back when I had my PTP 1912, the mags were 14 rounds. I'd probably fill these with 15 rounds.

I know they aren't as well performing as hi Capas, but unfortunately everytime I get a hi capa, I get bored of it and end up getting rid, because I'm not 100% settled on the look, and the only parts available for externals turn them into race guns, which I don't want. It's also a pain in the arse to get a serpa working decently with one.

Comment

15rnds should be fine even in cold weather with rapid fire, so don't worry. You will almost certainly get more, but better to have low expectations and have them exceeded than high and be disappointed. Personally, I think Hi-Capas are ugly and look like they belong in IPSC, not on a battlefield. Unfortunately I like my guns all-metal, which for 1911s is pretty much the kiss of death. Still daydreaming about a dehorned all-Shooters-Design-aluminium Detonics as a last-chance defensive gun, though...

Comment

Sorry forgot to add that as well. Back when I had my PTP 1912, the mags were 14 rounds. I'd probably fill these with 15 rounds.
                I'd have no worries of a 5" Single Stack, especially plastic built, shooting out 15 happily. I loaded mine with 20 and that was fine for rapid use.

Comment

Okay I shan't worry then. I'll still try and go for 40 round mags as I love he extended look anyway.

I may even get a metal kit, but I would only ever use the lower frame really!

Comment

That's what's such a COLOSSAL pain in the arse. While there are any number of metal slides around, buying just a metal frame is almost impossible (even for 1911s). It's inexplicable. The ONLY 1911 frame even insert-major-HK-retailer-here is willing to sell is on its own is a Detonics. Given that with a Tanio Koba slide part about the size and weight of a 5p coin you can use any Hi-Capa slide on a 1911, there must be easily 200+ slides available by themselves but not one full-size frame to go with them.

Comment

Well it would probably be just a Guarder kit, wouldn't want to spend £150 just for the frame! But that's not a priority just yet!

Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by PureSilver View Post
                        That's what's such a COLOSSAL pain in the arse. While there are any number of metal slides around, buying just a metal frame is almost impossible (even for 1911s). It's inexplicable. The ONLY 1911 frame even insert-major-HK-retailer-here is willing to sell is on its own is a Detonics. Given that with a Tanio Koba slide part about the size and weight of a 5p coin you can use any Hi-Capa slide on a 1911, there must be easily 200+ slides available by themselves but not one full-size frame to go with them.
                        I bought a Guarder 1911 frame alone on here for £40 and turned out pretty nicely.

Comment

It's pretty nice, but it completely illustrates how much money someone like Shooters Design (that is, halfway competent but not horrendously overpriced) would make selling a generically trademarked 1911 frame to be sold separately. At present, if you want a new metal frame to go with your slide, you have to buy a whole kit and discard the slide, probably eating 2/3 of its value. (Your Guarder lower, I guess, was originally part of a full kit?) It's a big gap in the market, firstly because every other 1911 part is already on sale and secondly because in cold places when people want metal for their guns they might want the frame alone, so they don't mess with their gun's cycle.

Comment

My full metal TM MEU gets about 15 shots out at full power before it starts to cooldown. Its easily solved, just load 15 rounds into the mag.

40 round mags are the same only get about 30 out of it.

Guarder kits are good just take more DIY to get it fitted. Especially if its silver -

Sorry about the darkness round the light.

Comment

I did see a video by CKinnerly who managed to get something like 35 rounds out in december, with a metal kit on, and didnt seem to suffer any cooldown problem! weird!

Anyway, got myself one of the new ser 70 models coming this week, and gonna get 2 of the extended mags and pick up lots o standard ones as i go! cheers all!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Boo-Sabum Ben Instructor & Umpire with the International Taekwon-Do Federation Find out more about Boo-Sabum Ben
                              Working...
                              X