Full face mask materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full face mask materials

Im planning on making my own full face mask after i've made the mould im confused about the fibreglass bit is it strips and then a resin over it or what if so could you pm me possibly to ebay or something

Thanks fuzz
    After cheap project guns and various bits of kit

Re: Full face mask materials

fibre glass comes in 3 parts, the resin, the hardener and then the glass fibre.

The resin is a 2 part affair, mixing the 2 together, starts off the activation process and it starts drying.
    The glass fibre comes in all shapes and sizes, but more often than not comes in a small roll, or in sheet form.

If youve made a mould, make make sure you use release agent before you start applying the fibre glass, as youd never get it out of the mould.

Its just a case of applying some resin, then a layer of glass fibre, while you stipple (not brush) on a layer of resin on top, then apply another layer of glass fibre, followed by more stippling (by that i mean tapping the resin on with a paint brush) this gives you an even coating, and presses the resin and all the fibre into all the gaps and limits air bubbles.

You need to build up sufficient layers to make it strong and bb resistant. Id buy a cheap starter kit (about £12) and have a play about, experimenting with thicknesses ect then have fun shooting it.

Comment

where abouts can i get the stuff from dude thanks

Comment

halfords would be your best bet, or any local diy store. I sell it in mine, think its made by Davids, called FastGlas

Comment

while im at it as you probably know whats best after ive plaster of parised what material is best to make a cast of the insides ready to cover in the fibreglass ?

Comment

After you've plastered what?

Comment

my head dnt worry ill cling film myself

Comment

id seal it first, something like PVA glue will do, just mix it 5 parts water to 1 part glue, and paint it on. that will create a water proof barrier as well as a smooth surface to paint the release agent onto (you dont get the release agent in the fibre glass kit) as most kits are designed for car and boat repair not for moulds.

Comment

I use wall plaster ,the fine stuff for finishing

Comment

not a bad idea. finishing plaster is far cheaper than plaster of paris.
                    £2.59 for 5kg in my shop, compared to £6.49 for 2kg PoP.
                    make sure you stick straws up your nose.. dont want to be reading in the miss informed papers of a man dying by covering himself in plaster as a form of arrousal.. :p

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

The wall plaster is purely for pouring the mould, and plaster bandage for taking the cast. The other thing I like about it is you can mix it up into a clay and sculpt/shape the mould where needed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL...layer_embedded

Comment

ok that seems simple enough

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

fuzzhead Find out more about fuzzhead
                        Working...
                        X