Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearboxes

Hi guys,

looking to buy a new gear box, due to my current one needs new gears new wires as one snapped new spring and some moron mate drilled the piston. so i decided it be cheaper to just get a new one :P as i cant do the work my self. few questions though.

1. how many rounds should gears last before needing replacing. as in are we talking 5-10 thousand roughly speaking and i know totally gear depended. i know the one im looking at has 4k shot with them they are G and P standard gears.

2. what sort of price for a gear box m4-v2 2000 rounds through it and the gears swapped in have seen 4000.

manny thanks in advance guys.

Re: Gearboxes

drilling a piston has advantages in lightening the piston increasing RoF and decreasing the time it takes to do one full shot (stroke cycle), not always a moronic thing to do.

I can go though 5000bbs in a day easily, id put the figure at 100,000-200,000 before id even consider replacing them. Ive got a stock AK that's 7 years old and still all original.

Personally i wouldn't buy a new gear box, id learn how to fix one myself. wires, a set of xyt gears, spring and piston could be got for less than £25.
    And "i cant do the work myself" should be type "i cant be arsed to learn myself" unless youve got no arms.. and physically cant do it.. but then you couldn't shoot a gun so wouldn't be on this forum

Comment

as in im new to airsoft, opened up the gear box to learn and bits flew everywhere and couldent get it back together if im honest :P ahhaha the other gear box price wise what would u think its worth? for a G and P standard gear box with like 1 days skirmishing through it ? with a magpul hop up and barrel fires 248 consistantly. what do you think

Comment

i stripped my first airsoft gun before i shot it, as i couldnt afford a battery or charger, nor BB's lol
        I couldnt put a price on a gear box as ive never bought one complete. Do you mean 348? as 248 is very very low.

Comment

248fps consistently?
          Avoid, it requires work.

Check out the wonderful world of the internet, a place called mechbox.com is a wealth of information and Im sure many budding and professional airsmiths alike have used it at some point.

Price wise for a gearbox, ACM ones go for about 45-50 quid, however the reliability might not be there or it might need work to get it tiptop to start with. Slightly higher end gearboxes can go for 60-90 quid. High end will go for 100+ quid.
          Seriously, its cheaper to learn how to do it yourself, its not hard once you know where things go and how to take it apart properly.
          section 24 of the 1968 Act
          Supplying imitation firearms to minors
          1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
          2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

sorry i do mean 348 was a typo ! ! does this change the view ? i just know the current gear box has seen alot of action as so is my understanding is fairly knackered. and when i look at the parts ( new admittedly ) it seems alot. is a g and p gear box anygood ? as in will bt w better then the CA sportline currently being used. ?

Comment

Originally posted by seansamurai1 View Post
              248fps consistently?
              Avoid, it requires work.

Check out the wonderful world of the internet, a place called mechbox.com is a wealth of information and Im sure many budding and professional airsmiths alike have used it at some point.

Price wise for a gearbox, ACM ones go for about 45-50 quid, however the reliability might not be there or it might need work to get it tiptop to start with. Slightly higher end gearboxes can go for 60-90 quid. High end will go for 100+ quid.
              Seriously, its cheaper to learn how to do it yourself, its not hard once you know where things go and how to take it apart properly.
              Words of wisdom! Sean is 100% spot on. Learn how to do them, they are not hard. Will also save you a fair wack of money.

Comment

G&P gearboxes Im sure many will agree differ............Wildly.
                Some people have a really good time with them and no issues, others fire 100 rounds and the gears fall apart.
                1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
                2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

will do ! great advice guys as its only wireing and gears i need to replace i hope this wont be to bad any advise on which wires ? i guess wireds just go as cheap as possible. but gear sets to get would be a great great help

Comment

To make it easier, buy something like an Element high capacity switch block, you can buy them with the wiring loom already attached and all the connectors as well, cuts down on a bit of work. Gears wise, its difficult really, it all depends on if you want to go high speed, high torque or just keep it fairly standard.
                    For a beginner I would say keep it simple and try and find SHS gears with 'standard ratio' on them. You could maybe drop to 18/1 ratio gears but theres other things you have to start thinking about on that front.
                    The lower the first number in a ratio, the faster the gears are, so 13/1 is quick, real quick. 32/1 would be considered high torque, slower but able to handle higher spring loads.

Comment

i can deffo recommend the DIY approach. until very recently, i'd never been inside a 'box....( )

but then the GB on my primary gun went kapput last skirmish - something clearly broken inside

i was going to get the local gun tech to sort it out, but curiousity got the better of me and so i opened it up myself. it's a Systema GB, so i was apprehensive of ballsing it up. However, i quickly discovered that the tappet plate & piston were both damaged (beyond repair).
                      I ordered replacement parts and fitted them myself, and only took two attempts to close the GB back up properly (AR latch!). All in all, probably took me about an hour.

Gun now back to 100% and a great sense of satisfaction knowing i did it myself.
                      since then, i've downgraded another gun, which also worked out real well

give it a go
                      h e y d r i c h
                      L T F S

tm ngrs scar l | tm ngrs ak102 | g&g arp556 | g&g arp9 | tm spas12 | we xdm | well mp7

Comment

And 30 quid richer I'd imagine, that's about average gun tech charge isn't it?
                        Tends to be a flat rate as well.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

simonob Find out more about simonob
                        Working...
                        X