Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FPS Limits and Adjustment

Hi everyone,

I'm planning on going to GZ's urban site, for the first time, on the 18th. The website advises that the FPS limit is 328 and absolutely no more! I bought my AEG in August and was told that the FPS was reduced to approximately 330 FPS so that I could visit some of my local sites. However, I haven't actually had it tested since it's been in my possession.

Of course, I'd much rather have it fully tested before I go and ensure that it's suitable for GZ's urban site but, unfortunately, I don't know anyone with a chronograph.

A friend mentioned that, if your FPS is just over the limit, you can adjust the hop to decrease your FPS. Is this correct?

Many thanks ...

Re: FPS Limits and Adjustment

While it's true that adjusting your hop all the way up will probably reduce the FPS, most sites will (or should) insist on you turning your hop all the way off before you chrono, so that isn't really an option. I'd advise finding a shop local to you and getting it chrono'd - if you're lucky they may be able to get it cut down as well.

If you absolutely can't travel, you could try the Coke Can test (A youtube search will help here), but I can't advise it.

Comment

Well turning up the hop causes more friction and slows down the bb at the trade off of creating a cushion of air beneath it, so it WOULD decrease FPS but it seems to be bending the rules a bit.
      Originally posted by Lt. Macka
      big black shapes draw the eye.

Comment

Posted in the wrong fu**ing thread
        sigpic

Comment

Edit: Information Incorrect. Disregard.
          -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
          -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

@Jonny, the rules on the website state 328 maximum, 329 won't be allowed. It not a 328 allowing for variance.

Comment

Really? I was told otherwise. I shall be having words! Cheers psirus. Disregard my last
              -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
              -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

Originally posted by Smintheus View Post
                While it's true that adjusting your hop all the way up will probably reduce the FPS, most sites will (or should) insist on you turning your hop all the way off before you chrono, so that isn't really an option.
                I'd have a problem with that.

The hop at chrono should be set as it's going to be used. Some people have reported fps INcreases when putting the hop from fully off to the usable position (something about the hop temporarily restricting the movement of the BB, then as the pressure builds behind it, it "bursts" through at a higher speed than if had been free to move from the start).

Plus, it's a pain to adjust the hops on some guns, and if you've taken the time to get it right, it'd be a bitch to have to turn it off because of flawed chrono procedure.

My local's chronos fire into the game zone and the marshals watch the shots to check for excessive hop settings.

Comment

I'd agree with sonuk. I insist hop ups are set to " combat ready" settings before chronoing them. Any gun that sounds suspicious gets tested for hop effect. Turning up the hop to get a hot gun under chrono is, at best, cheating, some can drop by 30+ pfs by jamming the hop fully on. There are many sites that will give you an instant kick off site for doing that if not a ban.
                  Dropping the hop all the way off can also lower fps in some cases ( my old dboys spr did this) but generally it will cause a higher reading and as you say, it means every player then needs to set up their hop again (just dont insist on it at a PTW owners meet )

Comment

If you think the gun may be slightly hot then run a few hicaps through it, which may well drop the fps a bit, or leave the spring compressed for a couple of days may help as well. However until you get it chronoed you will not truly know. Some places I buy from actually give you a fps sheet in with a new gun so you can see what fps it is shooting at when it arrives. Normally this is hop off, so it will be a bit lower when you set it for "game" hop levels. I tend to set up all my guns for 320fps on .2's so I don't have to worry wherever I play.
                    Raven's Claw: bug*er this just charge

Comment

I wouldnt go with the "jamming the hop on full" method. It's bending the rules to their extreme. Most stores will have a chrono, try theirs.

OR do what I did. Hope to hell it makes it!

What gun is it buddy? IIRC, most G&G's come in at about 310fps. (Mine was 310, my bro's 297). I'm not sure on other brands and its not always gonna be true across every G&G but it might offer peace of mind.
                      Upcoming Games:
                      None

Armoury: G&G GR15 Raider-L, KJW P226, Cybergun M3, TM MP5 (x2)
                      Gear: British MTP, Warrior Assault Systems RICAS, Magnum Elite II Boots

Comment

Mickydoos, it's an ARES G36. The FPS was meant to be have been reduced to 330 to give me a chance to use some of my local sites.

From what I've read here, chronos are so unreliable (from site to site) that it's probably just worth me turning up and hoping I get in.

Comment

Some sites do look at the direction your rounds are going and if they can tell its over hopped they'll stick it back to something remotely normal. Aslo the actualy fact as you said, sites use different chrono's, the only chrono worth actually checking against is the sites one! Maybe pop down there the weekend before and ask to check it?
                          Upcoming Games:
                          None

Armoury: G&G GR15 Raider-L, KJW P226, Cybergun M3, TM MP5 (x2)
                          Gear: British MTP, Warrior Assault Systems RICAS, Magnum Elite II Boots

Comment

if its an ares g36 it might be worth getting hold of an m90 spring, as if its too hot on the day, you can then use the quick change spring system to bring it down.
                            and if it isnt hot, then just sell the spring on as it will still be brand new and un-used.
                            to change the spring in the g36 you just remove the cover form behind the folding stock, remove the large securing screw, and remove the spring guide by turning it through 90deg. really easy and shouldn't void any warranty as its a feature of the gearbox to be able to do this.
                            For Sale!
                            TM M870 with a load of stuff
                            A&K massada sniper spec
                            Chronograph
                            leaving airsoft so everything must go

Comment

Thanks! I'll look into getting an m90 spring.

Turns out, we're now going to check out the CQB Tactical site in Swindon. There's an FPS limit of 350 there so I shouldn't have an issue there but, of course, the m90 spring might come in handy at other sites.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

deldalton Find out more about deldalton
                              Working...
                              X