Why do AEGs stop firing on semi-auto?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do AEGs stop firing on semi-auto?

So I prefer semi to full when playing. But on every gun I've used, with a variety of brands, old, new, etc if I pull the trigger too rapidly it stops firing. No motor sound or anything. Then when I fire a shot on full-auto and switch back to semi it'll be fine. What's the reasoning behind that? Is is to protect the motor from overheating? Am I not letting the gun cycle fully? Would a MOSFET solve it?

Re: Why do AEGs stop firing on semi-auto?

Its because its very old technology (1990s) and its all mechanical. Hence why if you don't pull the trigger all the way it all locks up (the cut of lever gets jammed if Im correct). If you get modern trigger mechs like ASCU's and Raptor's then this wont happen.

I hope this helps.

Comment

Certainly. jambwow is correct. What you are experiencing is a "gearbox lock up".

ASCU's and most mosfets have programming to make sure the gears do a full cycle. However, if you want a simple fix of this issue, just up the voltage and discharge (C rating) of your battery. LiPo/LiFe batteries are good at doing this while remaining very small.

I use in most of my guns (as I like a bit of semi-action) a 7.4v 2200mAh 35C continuous discharge LiPo battery (that's a total of 77 amperage in a full discharge!) only cost me about £33 for two brand new from a certain welsh shop of components.
      sigpic

Comment

Or just use a 8.4 or 9.6v Nimh batteries and make sure your positive on all your trigger pulls ( pull it fully back )

I have a Ares Tavor
        G&G L85a2
        G&G M16

All these I use a minimum of 8.4v Nimh but prefer to use 9.6v I play most on single shot and I rapid fire all the time and don't suffer with lock ups but my friend will use my gun and it will lock just make sure you pull your trigger all the way back

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Dantakular View Post
            ...make sure your positive on all your trigger pulls ( pull it fully back )...I rapid fire all the time and don't suffer with lock ups but my friend will use my gun and it will lock just make sure you pull your trigger all the way back
            I think this is the problem you're having.

If you release the trigger too soon the piston won't have moved all the way back, so as the gears haven't fully cycled it will stay back and not fire.

Yes, it's a form of lock-up, but not one caused by a mechanical fault but by not allowing the gearbox to fully do it's job before letting go of the trigger.
            sigpic

Comment

Basically, the gearbox has a cutoff lever which cuts the power after one shot on semi.

If you pull the trigger too quickly then you don't let the gearbox complete one full cycle and the it stops at the point where the cutoff lever engages, permanently cutting the power (until you change to full auto).

Solutions include always waiting for the whole cycle, using a more powerful battery, otherwise upgrading your gun for a higher rate of fire - or just living with it.

Originally posted by Caveira View Post
              I think this is the problem you're having.

If you release the trigger too soon the piston won't have moved all the way back, so as the gears haven't fully cycled it will stay back and not fire.

Yes, it's a form of lock-up, but not one caused by a mechanical fault but by not allowing the gearbox to fully do it's job before letting go of the trigger.
              Hmm, not fully cycling the gearbox isn't an issue (it will just carry on the next time you pull the trigger) - unless it stops with the cutoff lever engaged as I explained above.

Comment

Just to ask, especially the OP, are we talking about semi as in 'you have to have use it' due to an indoor site or semi in the case of 'I just like to use it'?

If it is the latter then why not just stick the gun to full and fire single flicks of the trigger or short 2-5 round bursts. Often in airsoft the first round wont always hit unless you are very close, so I find a quick burst helps keep things easier and it cycles the action fully each time rather than just going semi auto then having a jam and having to drop to full to clear it.

Just a thought.

'FireKnife'
                68 Pistols and counting in over 8 years of airsoft.
                Got a spare 10mins or are bored? Check out my film reviews: http://200filmsbeforeyoudie.wordpress.com

Comment

It's not that full auto always cycles the gearbox fully, it's just that on full auto the cutoff lever has no effect so the gearbox can stop in any position and always be able to fire again next time the trigger is pulled.

Comment

Either way, unless you have to use semi only just drop the ROF a bit a use full auto bursts or a quick flick of the finger to get a single shot and there you go, no lock up issues.

'FireKnife'
                    68 Pistols and counting in over 8 years of airsoft.
                    Got a spare 10mins or are bored? Check out my film reviews: http://200filmsbeforeyoudie.wordpress.com

Comment

Or use a GBB >:D

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

temp89 Find out more about temp89
                      Working...
                      X