Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusty airsoft gun

Hi
    If my gun was to get wet and rust (it hasn't but just for future reference) what could I use to clean the gun without damaging it as I have heard that you can't use WD40 on them
    "Peace cannot be achieved through violence, it can only be attained through understanding." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yeah should be fine on metals

Comment

Re: Rusty airsoft gun

There aren't many airsoft guns with enough steel in them to rust.

Comment

Your gun will only rust through damage and neglect.

You would need it to be damaged to expose any ferrous metals, and assuming you don't give it a wipe and a dry when you get home, it may start to rust.

Provided you you dry it off at the end of the day, you can play in a torrential down pour without too much concern to your gun rusting - it takes a while to happen!

Comment

Only parts like mag releases and triggers tend to rust. Hammerite is a good cure if you do get a spot of rust in the future.
          King Arms "King of Arms Builders 2013" Winner
          https://www.youtube.com/user/crasstoe
          www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

You can generally get rid of a lot of dust with a wipe down with a cloth sprayed with silicone oil. That usually does the trick for me.

Comment

Keep WD40 WELL AWAY from Airsoft. It will corode any rubber parts.

Use silicon, nothing should rust as most airsoft is Ali

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Comment

Many guns will have some kind of ferrous alloy as a basic material and all metals will oxidise/corrode without any form of protection. The speed at which this happens is based on the conditions it is stored in though.

Unless you have a damp, salty gun locker, you probably won't suffer from much other than a little surface "rust" or oxidation on any exposed metal. Bolt and fixing heads are the usual culprits for this.

The general consensus is that WD40 should be completely avoided on guns which to an extent is true. WD40 is a very light oil, but what it will generally do if sprayed into any mechanical workings, is displace all the moisture and existing lubrication in place. It'll probably work smoothly for about 10 minutes until the fine oil is worked off, then everything will start grinding.

In short, externally you are fine to use WD40 really. Internally, keep it away unless you are totally cleaning, degreasing or stripping down a gun and intend to properly lubricate it again with a more suitable product.

Easiest thing to do is to get some silicon spray, spray some on a rag and then give the whole schebang a wipe down.

Comment

i have one spot on my outer barrel and one head of a screw that just loves to rust, i could do something about it,but it adds character to my main weapon,also i dont mind rust on my RS type 56, but i wont allow any on my pistols, as they get a good spray n rub down on a regular basis
                  VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
                  trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

Originally posted by sparrowhawk View Post
                    i have one spot on my outer barrel and one head of a screw that just loves to rust

Comment

Wait, you don't want it to rust?

And yet you get forums of people going on and on about that 'battle damaged look' and how amazing it is. :p

I find that a good wash, to the few parts that will rust, works for me. Then again I like my guns to look battered, bruised and well used, so I welcome a little cosmetic damage.

'FireKnife'
                      68 Pistols and counting in over 8 years of airsoft.
                      Got a spare 10mins or are bored? Check out my film reviews: http://200filmsbeforeyoudie.wordpress.com

Comment

Like most have said, it's unlikely parts of your gun will rust apart from those being Ferous alloys.
                        Expeptions being guns with a high level of Steel Parts, Recievers etc. e.g - Real Sword, LCT.

For my Real Sword Type 56-2, I always give it a wipe down with Abbey Gun Oil after every skirmish. It's a rust preventative oil with a simple light wipe on and wipe off.

As a side effect, your gun smells AWESOME :P

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

fraservigrass Find out more about fraservigrass
                        Working...
                        X