Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tightbore barrels

Hi
    I have a Tokyo Mauri L96 which I am slowly upgrading: High preasure piston and a 150% spring (both laylax). What effect do tightbores have on performance.
    "Peace cannot be achieved through violence, it can only be attained through understanding." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: Tightbore barrels

They focus the air compressed from your cylinder behind and around the bb better giving it more range/accuracy, particularly tight barrels may compromise range for more accuracy.
    Originally posted by Lt. Macka
    big black shapes draw the eye.

Comment

They can also increase fps as less air escapes around the BB, thus more of it propels the BB forwards.

Comment

what diameter would be optimal for balanced range and accuracy. My gun fires at 360-370fps with a 0.28g bb
        "Peace cannot be achieved through violence, it can only be attained through understanding." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

6.03 is the most-popular choice.
          Originally posted by psirus101
          I once got a player 100+ metres away by just pointing my finger and shouting "PEW PEW PEW". He took his ****ing hit!

Comment

Worth reading up on the benefits of 6.04. Big thing about it on another forum devoted to sniping.

Not sure it is a commercial competitor to zero one, but won't link just to be safe. Google is your friend.

Comment

The bore of your barrel has little to no effect on the range of your gun. A tighter bore will give you more FPS (less air escaping around the BB) but lower accuracy. A wider bore will give you better accuracy but won't boost your FPS. I hear very good things about PDI's 6.05 mm barrels. As there are other ways of increasing FPS I personally would go with a wider bore to get accuracy.

Comment

Tighter bore = better accuracy at closer ranges, loss of accuracy at longer ranges.
                Wider bore = loss of accuracy at closer ranges, better accuracy at longer ranges.

More fps in tighter bores because less air escapes past the bb in the barrel.
                Originally posted by psirus101
                I once got a player 100+ metres away by just pointing my finger and shouting "PEW PEW PEW". He took his ****ing hit!

Comment

Milo, how can a bb gain accuracy once it has lost it? Surely once the accuracy of a bb has depreciated it cannot improve?

Please do not interpret this as a confrontational, this is a genuine question. Perhaps I have missed something but I honestly cannot work that out.

Comment

For me I would always recommend the tightest possible. So look to get a 6.01.

Comment

And then there is the mythical TK Twist to consider!

Comment

Originally posted by iNK View Post
                        Milo, how can a bb gain accuracy once it has lost it? Surely once the accuracy of a bb has depreciated it cannot improve?

Please do not interpret this as a confrontational, this is a genuine question. Perhaps I have missed something but I honestly cannot work that out.
                        what i believe he was trying to interpret is that with a tight bore at close range, the accuracy is greater but has a dramatic shorter distance. where with a slightly wider barrel you do lose a bit of accuracy but what you lose in accuracy you gain in distance.

Comment

Originally posted by Figjam View Post
                          And then there is the mythical TK Twist to consider!
                          I thought TK barrels were designed for the Japanese market, so were configured to run at around 328fps - losing accuracy as power was increased over that threshold...

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmikey22 View Post
                            what i believe he was trying to interpret is that with a tight bore at close range, the accuracy is greater but has a dramatic shorter distance. where with a slightly wider barrel you do lose a bit of accuracy but what you lose in accuracy you gain in distance.
                            Might be you have the reverse... The way I understand it the tighter barrel gives the better seal, so would give you the range, while the air escaping around the side of the BB going down the looser barrel cushions the BB from the edges of the barrel reducing the random element that arises from barrel bounce. Thus the guys I know who are crazy for sniping seem to be hitting on 6.04 as the sweet spot for 500fps setups.

Originally posted by brooxy View Post
                            I thought TK barrels were designed for the Japanese market, so were configured to run at around 328fps - losing accuracy as power was increased over that threshold...
                            Might have been I was being a little bit mischievous dropping that into the conversation... But its an interesting idea that follows on from the cushioning effect. Always wanted to have a little play with one, but never had hands on. You are correct though, it is really only for 1j setups.

Comment

Right the accepted theory on many forums, including a certain sniper one (which is one of only 2 I trust for real tech advice) says that there should be at least a .02mm gap around the bb to allow the air to spread evenly around the bb. The tighter the bore the more inconsistent the movement of air behind the bb is but due to the greater pressure you get increased fps. They are also more accurate up close than a 6.03+ because the bb has less space to move around in the barrel so close range hits the target more often. However.. Airsoft guns have hop ups and at longer range the slightly wider barrel doesn't effect the hop ups backward spin input on the bb so much giving a better accuracy at long range. Remember the hop up is applied at the beginning of the barrel. So that perfect backward spin is destorted in a 6.01 as its bouncing of the barrel walls and altering the hops effect on the bb. .... This is my opinion and its highly possible I'm wrong......

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

fraservigrass Find out more about fraservigrass
                              Working...
                              X