Scopes and sights.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scopes and sights.

I've bought a CYMA M14 with a scope mount and I'm kinda wondering how scopes and mounts work? Are scope mounts a one size fits all kind of set-up or are scopes spectific to certain mounts?
    Hi, I'm a newb

Re: Scopes and sights.

Originally posted by Charlievil View Post
    I've bought a CYMA M14 with a scope mount and I'm kinda wondering how scopes and mounts work? Are scope mounts a one size fits all kind of set-up or are scopes spectific to certain mounts?
    Depends entirely on the type of scope you want to use. I bought a normal air rifle SMK 4x50 mildot scope for £20 from Trago Mills. You will need 20mm RIS mounts, whether high or low profile is your choice, Id reccoment low profile for the M14 as high profile puts it waaaay off.

In my experience most scopes use a 1inch mount (this refers to the width of the scope at the middle section where you put the mounts), but check your scope first

Comment

There are many different types of scopes.

Most telescopic sights are 20mm in diameter and will usually come with a set of 20mm weaver mounts, which will attach right onto a standard weaver rails. (Same as the rail on a M4/M16 under the carry handle) You can also get 30mm scopes, there is no difference in performance between the two types.

You can get all sort of magnifications and styles from scopes. For Airsoft anything more than a 6x zoom at most is usually over kill. I use 3-9x40's and 3-9x50's on most of my rifles, and they are perfect. They have 3x to 9x magnification so I can use them for spotting and zooming in to check any team markings at a distance and not give away my position.

When you first get a scope you will need to scope your rifle in. Best way to do this is find a place that has little or no wind, and is nice a big. Set up a target about 20 - 30 meters away, depending on your rifle's range and what sort of distance you will be engaging targets at.

Take 5 shots at the target to get and idea of where they are landing and adjust the turrets on the top and side of the scope, after each adjustment, take 5 more shots until you get it dead on centre. It can take a while, but once you get it set perfectly it should be fine out in the field. This is what I usually do, so other people may have different ways of scoping in rifles.

You will find, if you take the scope off the rifle, you may need to re-scope it, and it may over time need adjusting here and there as changes in temperature will change it.

Hope this can help!

Steve
      Last edited by Sci Fi Steve; 14 January, 2010, 19:32.
      My Armory:
      ARES M110, ARES SVD-S

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Charlievil Find out more about Charlievil
      Working...
      X