Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

Importing from US to UK - How should I expect to be contacted from Customs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing from US to UK - How should I expect to be contacted from Customs?

As the title suggests, I've ordered something from the US and know that it should finally be on it's way now. I expect it to take a while to finally reach the UK but when it does how should I expect to be contacted by Customs (as I'm expecting to have to pay some tax)? I've been making the assumption that I would receive something in the post but I saw a thread earlier with someone receiving an email from them.

Of course, they can only email me if they've been provided with that information from the company I've ordered the product from but is it likely that they will have?

Ultimately, it doesn't matter how they contact me (just so long as they do and the package arrives!). But, I'm just keen for it to arrive!

Re: Importing from US to UK - How should I expect to be contacted from Customs?

You'll usually get a note from the delivery company telling you that you owe customs charges... and then them for paying said customs charges on your behalf.
    Coventry University Airsoft Society - "Rock Up Late, Fuck Shit Up, Go Home"

Comment

Originally posted by Tariq182 View Post
      You'll usually get a note from the delivery company telling you that you owe customs charges... and then them for paying said customs charges on your behalf.
      Oh okay. Well, I'll just wait for that note then.

Thanks! ...

Comment

As Tariq has said, most of the time the couriers will pay and you will pay them afterwards. If it is seized by customs however, expect a letter. This should only be if it is a prohibited or restricted item (RIF), in which case you will need to prove a viable defence, but again that should be by letter.
        King Arms "King of Arms Builders 2013" Winner
        https://www.youtube.com/user/crasstoe
        www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

Ive bought from Hong Kong a few times now and the first time i got an email from ups and i just have to fill out a form with whats in the packages and ukara number and thats all i ever recieve. Just to warn you, i hope you havent ordered anything expensive, First order i only bought a pistol and some other bits to make sure it all worked and i could get them over and spent about £200 and got charged £30 customs which i didnt think was to bad so the next time i spend £400 getting some things team mates wanted aswell and the customs charge comes in at......... £150 so i learned my lesson never spend alot because customs rape you.
          what do you mean a valid defence ?

Comment

i brought some RS items from the states about a month ago now and they came to about $137 posted (£84) and all i got was the items ,then about 2-3 weeks later i got a letter saying i have to pay DHL for paying my customs fees of a grad total of ......£18

i have something else coming from the states with in the next 2 weeks (hopefuly) that costs $85 (£52)
            i will update on the fees for that one

Comment

Depends entirely who the courier is. Hong Kong and United States postal services parcels generally end up in the hands of Parcel Force once they're in the UK (post customs inspection), in which case they send you out a something that looks like a pay chit with perforated edges containing a demand for cash before they give you your stuff.

TNT usually send a paper bill later on down the line, UPS and FedEx again will have their own methods. One of them generally asks you for payment at your upon point of actual delivery, can't remember which though.
              REMF Tacticool - Facebook, YouTube & Instagram

Comment

Thanks for all of the responses.

The package (including postage) come to around $72 (approx. £40), so I don't expect the additional charges to be much more than £15. I worked all of that out before placing the order, because it was the first time I'd ordered anything from outside of the EU and didn't want to be surprised when I discovered the import charges/tax. Let's just hope the courier doesn't add too much on top of the charge for them paying for it upfront.

Comment

It depends what the item is, when I ordered some RS pistol sights (50 quid plus postage) they didnt tax me one jot :P You may get lucky!

(I know in the last month or two ive placed three orders for over 70 quid from HK and not one has been taxed, one was internals, one was an 11 inch rail system and one was a new barrel/gas tube assembly)
                  Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

Originally posted by CKinnerley View Post
                    Depends entirely who the courier is. Hong Kong and United States postal services parcels generally end up in the hands of Parcel Force once they're in the UK (post customs inspection), in which case they send you out a something that looks like a pay chit with perforated edges containing a demand for cash before they give you your stuff.

TNT usually send a paper bill later on down the line, UPS and FedEx again will have their own methods. One of them generally asks you for payment at your upon point of actual delivery, can't remember which though.

This is true & to add on. Anything sent VIA Express Mail Service (EMS) will end up with Parcelforce/ Royal mail. They are the ones that operate the International EMS hub. During the olympics, nearly all parcels were checked and taxed for "security" reasons, and they have continued that through since. It seems like nearly all items are being taxed, as parcelforce get to charge their lovely admin fee on top, I spent a lot of time researching this for purposes of a recent purchase, and was taxed £40 for a £300 order (including parcelforce's charges)

If you're trying to dodge customs, not advisable, then you really don't want to be using EMS.

Private couriers like TNT UPS FedEx are a ton safer, and the added bonus is that they will deliver then invoice separelty later. Whereas PF and RM will hold your parcel until you pay the invoice, which means added unnecessary waiting time. (Minus the time from customs holding it)
                    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - Napolean

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

deldalton Find out more about deldalton
                    Working...
                    X