Which one to go for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which one to go for?

Now, this is something I've searched for on here and can't find an answer to, so was wondering if anyone here could shed some light on? Apologies in advance for length/number of questions.

First things first, I've pretty much decided on an M4 platform for my first purchase (at the end of Jan, when I get my UKARA) after playing around with a couple at my local site (friendly bunch at TWA Anerley!) and am going to go with a G&G, seeing as they seem to be the best value for money (and I'm not too concerned about trademarks etc). I've also found somewhere that does the Top Tech series for a reasonable amount (not naming names, I know the rules :D) so figured I may as well go for one of those seeing as they are full metal, tight bore barrel, upgraded wiring etc etc...

...now the bit(s) where I'm stuck.

1. Do I go with a carbine version or a CQB setup? I mainly play at Anerley at the moment, which is CQB, but want to branch out to woodland etc in the future (Battle Lakes, UCAP Sandpit). Now I realise the longer barrel isn't going to make it much more accurate at this range/velocity, but is it worth going for a TR-16 Carbine over the TR-16 Carbine Light for example (only difference I could see is the barrel length, which ends just after the front sight on the light). Is it that much of an a**e to swap over the front end for a short barrel setup? It's a 20-ish pound difference between the two (Shorter-barrelled is more expensive) - so I could pick up a mag or two instead if I went for the long barrelled version. Or is the trade-off in manoeuvrability not worth it?

2. Should I go for a front end with a RIS (e.g. a TR15 Raider or a TR4 CQB-R) over the two I mentioned previously with the rounded fore grip? Realise it gives a bit more flexibility in the future in terms of bolting goodies to the front, but again - is swapping the front end for a RIS version a pain? Also, is it going to cost me more than £50 if I do it later? Because I figure I'll eventually want to switch, so might be best just to do it now. Also - is the Raider rear-wired, and can you swap out the RIS front end at a later date for a rounded front end, because as far as I can see there's no D-Ring setup, but that might just be me being a complete newb.

TLDR : Do I go balls-out and pick up the RIS'd CQB-R or save £50 and go with the TR-16 carbine, and pick up a bunch of mags + a spare battery instead?

Re: Which one to go for?

Mags and spare battery! Honestly with a shorter barrel you're saving all of 6cm which isn't anything, certainly not a life-saver from what I remember at Anerley. And regarding the RIS, it depends if you like the look or not as £50 could get you a really nice one off the classifieds, but if you don't need light/grip space, £50 could get you a LiPo charger and a 9.9v LiFe battery which should run pretty nicely in a toptech!
    Originally posted by Lt. Macka
    big black shapes draw the eye.

Comment

Get the batteries and chargers for now - 50 quid can get you a very nice rail system from the far east when you are inclined to upgrade (check out dytac, i am a massive fan of their kit)
      Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

but for the sake of spending the £50 later on, you may aswell buy the railed one.
        -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
        -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

I'd personally get the railed one (I did, GR15 Raider L) Then you dont have to bother swapping your front end about. Having rails can't hurt can it, even if they're not used?
          Upcoming Games:
          None

Armoury: G&G GR15 Raider-L, KJW P226, Cybergun M3, TM MP5 (x2)
          Gear: British MTP, Warrior Assault Systems RICAS, Magnum Elite II Boots

Comment

AND it will save a lot of messing about when you buy a rail set that doesnt fit.
            -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
            -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

Argh. Now I'm really stuck does anyone know of a rail that'll fit a g&p m4 well?

Comment

WE and ASG spectre rails fit them perfectly, not sure if/where you could buy them new though
                For Sale!
                TM M870 with a load of stuff
                A&K massada sniper spec
                Chronograph
                leaving airsoft so everything must go

Comment

Within our team we have a variety of M4's, G&P, and G&G raider. For the money the G&G is excellent. If I recall correctly just be carfeul as the entry models the front scope isn't removable, diecast part of the outter barrel, hence if you want to remove you need to change the barrel as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Proto View Post
                    Honestly with a shorter barrel you're saving all of 6cm which isn't anything, certainly not a life-saver from what I remember at Anerley
                    Sorry to burst your bubble, carbine is over 10cm longer than CQBr.

I think this point is down to personal preference, I've had no trouble at urban with a carbine, but you won't know until you try it.

I will be at the NAE 27th-30th August and replies to messages may be slow, bear with me!

Comment

Hmmm. I currently play with a G36 (rental) - is the M4 carbine going to be a lot longer than that?

Comment

Yeah the M4 carbine is bigger, G36c is smaller by far.

G36c is 500mm folded, 720mm extended

m4a1 extends to 860mm IIRC or that may be it at its smallest.

I will be at the NAE 27th-30th August and replies to messages may be slow, bear with me!

Comment

Unless it's a sniper rifle most people will notice little difference with the length carbine vs CQB. Probably a better consideration is the weight, reliability, accuracy etc! Plus the x factor being do I like it

Comment

As far as I've heard the top tech's are pretty reliable, accurate etc (apart from maybe needing a new hop rubber?), and I definitely like them having had a play with one last time I was out, think I'm going to go for the carbine simply because I like the look more, and may as well go for the RIS'd version for an extra £50 I guess.

One last q - 7.4v LiPo or 9.6v NiMH? Going to be any noticeable difference? I don't have outside space in my flat apart from a wee balcony so if the LiPo goes wrong during charging that could be a bit of an issue

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

biscuitninja Find out more about biscuitninja
                            Working...
                            X