Fan Assisted Goggles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fan Assisted Goggles

Do they do the job? Also are they completely un-tactical with noise etc when the fan is on?

Re: Fan Assisted Goggles

They're pretty good. I'd only really recommend goggles if you wear wear them over specs. I ran with a pair of ESS Turbofans with a thermal lens when I wore glasses. The fan is quiet on low mode but quite loud on high. That said, anybody more than a couple of meters away wouldn't hear it. I tended to have them on low mode most of the time. I now use a pair of wrap round glasses which are much more comfortable.
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional...

The tinkering tale of an airsoft addict, wargamer and book fanatic at http://ocdairsoft.blogspot.com/
    It even gets updated occasionally... Quite recently even!

Comment

I use mesh goggles at the moment but they really obstruct my sight and in the sun they are ridiculous as it reflects the sunlight. I have tried antifog spray / wipes etc but i guess im just a sweaty faced person lol! I have looked on ********* who are doing a pair of fan assisted goggles for £20. Obviously they wont be the best make at all but for that money i'm willing to cut losses. Just wondering if they are gonna be worth bothering with

Comment

I use one of the TM style Fan masks, modded with mesh to allow breath to flow more easily and with forehead protection (sick of being hit there - hurts!). I only use one battery and have it installed backwards so the fan blows fresh air from above down into the visor rather then drawing warm sweaty air from your face up through it.

Mask fan mod.jpg

SAS

Comment

Most people I know that use them just turn the fan on intermittently when the fogging actually becomes an issue, that way you're only making noise a small amount of the time. If you use some sort of wipe/spray then you probably don't fog up the instant you step on to the field (I'm guessing anyway?), so just give the fans a blast every now and then to clear the mist and you're sorted.
          REMF Tacticool - Facebook, YouTube & Instagram

Comment

I had a set of ESS turbo fans and they were ok. I am a proper sweaty Betty and ultimately they did fog up usually after a run then staying still for a few minutes. Once they fogged it took ages to clear, don't get me wrong, they were a vast improvement on normal goggles.
            I have been using mesh goggles for a few years now, and mesh lenses in an S10 gas mask for cqb and I will never go back to normal goggles. Yes the sun reflecting off the mesh is a pain, yes in low light it's not amazing but your eyes get used to it. You have to ask yourself the question do you hate the fogging of normal goggles more than down sides associated with mesh.
            In summary in my opinion fan assisted goggles are a vast improvement on normal goggles but for me they are not a patch on mesh.

Comment

When I started playing I tried a gaggle of different eye protection options, glasses, goggles, mesh, Tokyo Marui fan etc.etc. Based upon what's comfortable for me I hot swap wrap around glasses. I always carry a spare and when safety allows I change. If like me you don't like using a face mask I've jsut started using a nenoprene 1/2 face mask. This I keep around my neck but only raise when doing CQB. So far so good. If your a junior player obviously most sites require you to wear a full face mask. Hence if you have the cash to blow TM Fan mask is good, noise isn't an issue TBH, u only switch the fan on when necessary.

Comment

ESS turbofans run a little noisy, particularly if you use a headset (MSA Sordin, Peltor Comtac), when they run on high. The Oakley SI fan goggle is very quiet even on high speed. The quietest of all is the Smith Elite Outside The Wire fan goggle, really very impressive. But the downside is cost; they are pricey. ESS ones are around £130, and the Oakley are £230, Smith OTW are £165. On the plus, they give brilliant protection.

However, a good quality pair of protective glasses that are designed for real world military use will have a proprietry anti-fog coating. Combine this with a decent anti fog treatment like Oakley Hydrophobic lens treatment applied regularly, and you'll get nearly as good fog protection. Trust me, I'm an Optometrist. This is what I do.

Don't forget that wearing a helmet or hat holds heat generated, so your head will be sweatier, and your glasses more likely to fog.
                Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Gaheris Find out more about Gaheris
                Working...
                X