X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Completely New to Airsoft - Some questions

Originally posted by GhostDivisionAirsoft View Post

3 - Two-tone guns

I really wouldn't bother with buying one. If you buy one then play 3 games and get UKARA registered, you will soon find yourself wanting a 'real' looking one and painting a two-tone will not have the same effect. Instead, I reccomend going to a UKARA registered site, playing your games and getting registered, then buying a non two tone RIF.
    *Three Games in no less than two months.
    If you ain't first, your last!

Comment

Originally posted by Fyei View Post
      Hi all,

Airsoft is something that has interested me for a long time, potentially as far back as when I was in school. That said, I'm now 23 and I've still not given it a go, even though it sounds like something id really enjoy doing.

With the new year and a new(ish) job that will never have me working weekends, I've decided I no longer have any excuses and I'm going to jump in. I've got a few questions that id like to ask before I go ahead though, and this seemed like a good community where I might be able to ask them. If anyone has time to take a look, id really appreciate it.

I've found a few Airsoft sites within an hour drive of where I live (I live in Gosport, near Portsmouth on the south coast) and they all look to have their pros and cons. Can anyone tell me what it is I should be looking for most when selecting a site?

Also, I've noticed that not all of them participate in the UKARA scheme. Getting my own RIF will be a priority for me if I decide I like the game as I won't want to be paying the hire costs every time I want to play, plus I like having my own equipment that I can mess around with and look after myself.

With this in mind, should I ideally be looking for one that IS UKARA registered? I've seen that some sites have their own VCRA defense ID cards which require annual fees, but I'm not completely comfortable with the idea of these as most online retailers seem to specify UKARA only.

Finally - can anyone here recommend good sites near Portsmouth? (I've got a car so getting to them is no issue)

2 - Etiquette

This could be a bit of a weird question, but is it normal for people to show up on their own without people they know to Airsoft games? I've got friends who might be interested in joining me, but they all live all over the place and getting them together could be tricky. If I like it, this is something that id really like to get into on a weekly or bi-monthly basis, so attending on my own is something that I expect will happen pretty often.

3 - Two-tone guns

How common are two-tone guns at airsoft games? Id rather wait for UKARA registration so that I can get a non-painted gun, but I'm still curious about how common they are.

4 - What should I budget

I've read in some places on this forum that its quite possible to get a starter set of equipment for about £200. Is this really realistic? The cheapest rifles I've seen around and about look to be atleast £120 and I'm guessing that as they're the cheapest of the cheap, then they're not going to be that good. I could be completely wrong with this assumption though.

What do you guys think would be a realistic budget? Also, what should I actually be looking to buy? I've already got a good pair of waterproof boots, so that's £50 I don't have to spend already.

That's everything I can think of for now. If I have any more questions I'll add them to the thread.

If you've gotten this far, then thanks for reading - I look forward to reading your responses!
      Glad another person has turned to airsoft.

I live in Northern Ireland so wont be able give you any site reviews but I myself am a new airsofter, and have only been playing just under a year.

1. I would be more inclined to look for a site that is UKARA registered as it should help in the long run, with things like renewals. I would also be asking questions if a site wasn't to be quite honest. Once you have narrowed down abit, try them all. See what you like and which one is the best run for a day's gaming, as a poorly run site would put you off airsoft. I like a good mix of cqb and woodland which is basically all the sites where I live, although I do know people that only play Indoor CQB. Its just personal Preference.

2. I started airsoft with my dad, who has had to take on a second job with the way things are at the moment, so I attend on my own at the start. Once I had found a good site I liked, I just got talking to guys. Most people I ever encounter anyway, so when your put in your team we will have a quick chat and get tatics sorted. Even if you do go with a friend you might end up in a different teams so going alone is no issue. I got so friendly with people I am now part of the sites team, and I can count all on it as a friend. I also work at the site, so my hobby has literally become my job haha.

3. Personally I have only seen two tone guns with guys and girls who are under 18 and can't get a UKARA but it is no issue. I was lucky as I sed my dad's guns but once I turned 18, my boss signed mine off as I had already been playing for 6 moths or so when I came off age. The color of the gun will not affect performance at the end of the day. There is a guy in England that has a Pink Hello Kitty gun, but still owns people on a weekly basis.

4. Before you look at rifles get a set of camo and some eye protection. You wont have to wear a crappy mesh mask and a overall that might not even fit. Use the rental guns at sites and get a feel for different types of guns. Talk to guys about there wepon and most will let you have a shot of it. I love the M4 platform but some prefer the AK. Its again down to personal preference. Once I had UKARA I bought and sold every platform under the sun, M4, G36, AK, MP5, Sniper etc.The only thing I still have is my pistol as I love it to bits and it was my first gun.

If you are dead set on getting a rifle then think about what rile you want to play. I love sniper and my JG Bar 10 G-Spec was only £110 before the upgrades were done. £200 is a good budget and with the guys on here, you wont be steered wrong and should get a good package.

Wish you all the best with your airsoft future!

Jack

Comment

I personally will vouch for the G&G guns. I have a G&G GR15 raider L and it's a top bit of kit. The only difference between the GR15 and the CM16 is the GR15 has a pneumatic blowback which makes a noise. It's really a gimmick, but I like it lol.
        Upcoming Games:
        None

Armoury: G&G GR15 Raider-L, KJW P226, Cybergun M3, TM MP5 (x2)
        Gear: British MTP, Warrior Assault Systems RICAS, Magnum Elite II Boots

Comment

Honestly airsoft is an expensive sport/hobby. There are loads if different makes and a few types of guns. AEG are most common types..dont go for GBB rifles (gas blow back) cus its a lot of work and they are seasonal guns.
          Dont go for sniper rifles cus IT DOES NOT WORK in airsoft! You are limited to 350/500ft the most and its a BB not a bloody bullet soo noo way! Secondly if theres a look you like, go for it! It might take loads of time to perfect but when over the years you have saved up, you will have a look that turns heads! As a starter gun for a make thats reputable and not some cheap junk!
          Assumption is the mother of F*&% Ups!

Comment

I can vouch for ucap bunker. I have attended 2 games there now and will be on my 3rd on the 6th. Then I will apply for my site membership. The marshals there are very helpful and the regulars are very friendly. With ucap a new site opening in feb in gosport it will be on your doorstep!

Comment

Originally posted by dj2l8b View Post
              Dont go for sniper rifles cus IT DOES NOT WORK in airsoft!
              Doesn't work, or you didn't have the patience for it?

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Fyei Find out more about Fyei
              Working...
              X