Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

M4 help!-upgrades, M16 conversion or a new gun???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M4 help!-upgrades, M16 conversion or a new gun???

Hi

I have a G&G Combat machine M4 blowback and am having a few thoughts/issues.
    The gun is completely stock and shoots 325.

I mainly play at a woodland site with a generous FPS limit of 370 max. At this site the M4 performed well but there were numerous occasions where I felt out-ranged/gunned.
    I would also like to play at another local urban site (Urban Assault) which is indoor/outdoor urban (not 100% cqb), which has a 345 upper fps aeg limit.

I'm looking to own 2 AEG's and a side arm. One for woodland and one for Urban/CQB.

I also own a JG G36c (330 ish FPS, basically stock bar TM hop [In bits atm])- Currently going to be the Urban/ compact gun but I might sell/ part ex for an MP5

----------

My main question is what would guys recommend me do about my woodland gun?
    As mentioned, my M4 felt outranged (though i believe the blowback versions come with 6.04 tightbores).

SHOULD I?:

Upgrade my M4's internals? (If so suggest what please| looking for range, accuracy and a bit of an fps bump, not massive ROF)

Convert it to an M16? (for barrel length etc)

Accept it's not a woodland gun and for a similar price of upgrading, buy a new gun? (Again, suggestions please)
    ------

I should also note I'm going for a vague early 90s/00s SAS ish loadout (inspired by the afgan pics). I'm not into hi tech looking guns, hence the desire for an oldish M4/diemaco or M16

Thanks in advance

FF

Re: M4 help!-upgrades, M16 conversion or a new gun???

If you want to keep the upgrades cheap, the minimum you can do is swap out the hop rubber for something like the madbull blue, you'll start seeing improvements right off with that. On top of that, maybe a tightbore and though the stock G&G hop is good, there are better out there. Google the teflon tape hop mod and combined with the tightbore that will help boost your FPS by a little bit, a spring upgrade isn't neccessarily required here.

Comment

how tight (bore) do you recommend. I hear lots of bad press about jams from 6.01s, i can't find any 6.02s and is a 6.03 going to make much of a difference over the 6.04 stock barrel?
      What hop unit brand would you recommend?
      What would a spring upgrade entail?

Would the M16 length barrel make a large difference?
      (Sorry for the pile of questions)

FF

Comment

barrel length wont make a difference. its a common mistake given to us by american airsofters. anything over 300 shouldn't make a difference really. its not so much the diameter of the barrel but the quality and consistency. personally i think the prometheus barrels are the best followed by the stainless 6.02 deepfire barrels. madbull black python 2's are also very good and almost half the price. If you plan on increasing the fps to 345 and not 370 then a spring isn't necessary as a tightbore barrel will give you a slight boost in fps (10ish) and if you get the airseal good then maybe more. As far as the hop up units go the best is the prometheus neo however its very expensive. the standard king arms hop up is a direct clone of it and about 30quid (you might get a few fps increase as well as they have o-rings in them) the madbull and pro-win are also very good. id first experiment with the hop up rubbers and nubs as they make the most difference and are only a few quid.

Comment

Hi Fearless

I guess you play at close action as have i. great guys there.

what i do

either tm m4 sopmod recoil or a clone get the gun running nice inside nice gears promotheus kit etc then.

just change the spring from m110 to m100/m90 (gun has a quick change set up )when changing sites you can also quickly change inner barrel size by just adding a silencer or taking off so you could have a cqb m4 and then just add the silencer and change inner barrel/spring and your rdy for woodlands .

so you could sell your other stuff but i would keep a gun as back up incase of a fail so not to stop play. and just have 1 nice gun to be proud of.

i find it hard sometimes playing with others guns im a 1 gun guy when i play just feels right.

so cost here would be gun new 500-200 depending clone or not
          upgrades which dont have to be done straight away £200 thats gears / piston / head the whole lot
          plus £10 for each spring get all 3 m90/100/110 you can have a m120 aswell but thats if you wanted to go DMR 400 fps semi only so with the 1 gun you have 3 guns.

or you can buy 2nd hand alrdy upgraded look at our 2nd hand boards loads are flying about. may sound alot but once you sold other guns it only a small reach.

food for thought anyway

as a round up
          1x sopmod recoil aeg ( upgrade internals as you feel fit) with either cqb outer barrel or normal
          1x madbull 6.03 inner barrel 363mm
          1x m90 spring
          1x m100 spring
          1x m110 spring
          1x quick change lipo battrey adaptor
          1x 2400-3000mah lipo battery
          if cqb barrel on gun
          1x madbull 6.03 inner barrel 300mm
          1x new hopup unit ( to save changing that all when changing barrels )

later on when you fall in love with your gun you can but super recoil kits for it etc

if you do want any advise on this platform just shout me i know it like the back of my hand

Last edited by mirlock; 14 January, 2013, 05:42.
          Dont Eat What You Cant Fry

Comment

You dont need a bigger barrel or higher FPS, neither of those have a significant impact on range.

For a cheap start, without needing to fanny about taking the gearbox apart or anything like that, get a guarder clear hop rubber (about £5 or less from anywhere decent) and a madbull black python V2 6.03mm barrel (about £25-30), with both of those you should notice a significant performance increase. I wouldnt bother swapping the hop unit itself unless its absolute pants, in which case you might want to consider either a TM hop unit, or the madbull "ultimate" hop unit, though personally I wouldnt bother unless the stock one is terrible.

Comment

Why do people think more power equals more range and accuracy. My SOPMOD shoots at 305fps and out ranges and has higher accuracy than any of my other rifles including my 385fps semi SR15.

Speak to a qualified tech at your local retailer or one you trust and ask them about range issues, you do not need more power.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys.
                I do play at close action Mirlock.

I'm a budget airsofter (I play when I can) so a TM Recoil + mega upgrades is too much for me, but thanks for the extensive advice.

I think I'm going to get a new hop rubber and the madbull 6.03 barrel as a start.

Should I use 0.2s or 0.25s?

- - - Updated - - -

Also

this barrel
                http://www.************.co.uk/product/lct-pk-129-602mm-inner-barrel-for-aeg-365mm

or the madbull?

Comment

Depends how much your hop works! If you can overhop before all the way on using .2s then a switch to .25s will make better use of your hop up, though your bb will obviously take a little longer to reach.
                  Originally posted by Lt. Macka
                  big black shapes draw the eye.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew March View Post
                    Why do people think more power equals more range and accuracy. My SOPMOD shoots at 305fps and out ranges and has higher accuracy than any of my other rifles including my 385fps semi SR15.

Speak to a qualified tech at your local retailer or one you trust and ask them about range issues, you do not need more power.
                    power = velocity = able to push more through air
                    lower velocity will give you more side movement when the air around is moving
                    Dont Eat What You Cant Fry

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

FearlessFred Find out more about FearlessFred
                    Working...
                    X