Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

The Law, What should I do? (another noob)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Law, What should I do? (another noob)

Hello there,

I don't want to be an annoying 'noob' but I'm a bit stuck regarding the law.

I've done all my reading about the law and legislation regarding Rifs and Ifs, age limits and two toning but can't seem to find what I'm looking for either on Google or using the search bar on this forum so I was hoping that someone could help or confirm what I'm thinking please.

My situation is that I am 18 but don't have a defense and am looking to buy some gear, probably a G&G GR15 Raider two toned. (Please don't tell me to wait and rent until I have my defense as I have friends who already play and know exactly what I'm after and really don't care about having a two toned gun) But this is not my problem..

Years ago, when i was probably 13 or 14 I asked for a BB pistol for a Birthday present. My dad got me a Spring Powered air soft pistol In Black!!!
    It was not until I started reading around air soft with the interest of playing that I realised that this pistol could be a problem.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are allowed a RIF if it is given as a gift... if the 'giver' has got a defense? and if you are under 18, allowed a gift only if it's two tone? Well my dad doesn't have a defense so I'm not sure where I lie. From the research I have done, supposedly this is illegal? My dad isn't a crook, and probably wouldn't have been aware of this fact but I'm not sure whether I should two tone the gun just to be safe?

I want to use the gun as a side arm to start with on sites so any advice in confirming that i should two tone it or not would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and sorry if this is just another annoying question, but we all have to start somewhere

Wilkes

Re: The Law, What should I do? (another noob)

You owned it way before this legislation was brought in, you have zero problem using it or owning it right now.

Use it, enjoy it!

Comment

if anything here was illegal (which it isn't) the only person who would have committed a crime would be the person selling your dad the pistol.
      For Sale!
      TM M870 with a load of stuff
      A&K massada sniper spec
      Chronograph
      leaving airsoft so everything must go

Comment

as long as your 18 you can have a 2 tone gun. and with regard to the hand gun you can use it without two toning it
        sigpic

Comment

When you were 13 or 14 the defence was not needed, or was just coming into effect then, i think it was late 2007-2008 when it was implemented.

To my knowledge giving an age restricted product to an individual of a lesser age is not a crime. consider the drinking law, its 18 to purchase alcohol, but there is no age limit on consuming alcohol.

As regards to RIFs and gifts, is not a crime. The item has been given to you, so no crime has been committed. You dont have to be of age or have a defence to use an airsoft gun, otherwise all rented guns at a site would have to be two tone also.

Comment

The law changed in 2006 (October i think)

Anything before then doesn't count.

Comment

it was later than that, as i was 18 in 2007 (jan 1st), and airsofted for about 6 months+ before the defence was brought in. ( as i bought as many guns as possible as i know i wouldnt survive that 3 month wait without being able to get a new one!)

Comment

Errrr.... The VCRA 2006!

Comment

Although it is the VCRA 2006, it didn't come into effect until 1st Oct 2007, this normally happens with acts/bills given that the UK parliament couldn't agree on the colour of sh*t.

Comment

Yeah thats when the violent crime act was introduced but that didnt have an immediate effect on the ******* *****.

Either that.. or the largest UK airsoft store broke the law and sold me guns under age and non two toned for a long time before they decided to mention to us about signing up for UKARA

Comment

Wow, thanks for the great responses!

And I will enjoy it Clot!

Feel a bit of a numpty now! But thanks everyone for putting my mind at ease.

I take it that I won't need to prove that I got it before that date, and that like Sir Stephen said: it would be the person selling that is liable.

And just out of interest, what would be the situation if he bought be the same gun as a gift now? Would he have to have a defense?

Sorry, I'm just trying to get my head around the ins and outs of everything!

Cheers again

Comment

Don't worry about it, you have done the right thing by asking and as already mentioned no law has been broken. The only stupid question is the one that didn't get asked.

Comment

I think all round answer is you cant buy a rif without a defence . no law about owning one over the age of 18

sorry its it been said alrdy
                          Dont Eat What You Cant Fry

Comment

Also, don't know who will see this but a bit more advice needed please

If i wanted to put a set of covers over 20mm rails on the front of the GR15, would this class as a permanent change?

Ie. The rails would be green from the two toning so i guess covering them up would be 'illegal' .... could you potentially wait until you're at the ground and then put them on? I have no idea how easy they are to fit.

Cheers again

Comment

Rail Covers just slip or clip on so no big problem but as they are an Accessory and not an integral part of the Gun I doubt if they would count under the 50% rule.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Wilkes 1875 Find out more about Wilkes 1875
                              Working...
                              X