Polished pistol slide advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polished pistol slide advice

I want to take my metal slided glock 19 from a black finish to the mirror/sliver (whatever people call it) finish.

Can anyone with experience of polishing any slide give me advice on the best way to do this?

It'd be much appreciated

Cheers

Mark

Re: Polished pistol slide advice

Paint remover (nail varnish remover often works well) is the starting point. If you have to use sandpaper, go for the finest you can get away with and then get finer to finish it off.

Due to the generally crap materials used in airsoft guns, don't expect it to stay shiny for long. It will oxidise unless you give it a coat of clear lacquer.

BTW - than you so very much for not mentioning chrome. There are far too many idiots on the forum who think that polishing is the same as chroming!!!
    sigpic

Comment

As Caviera has said tbh

Some people prefer just polished sides of slides (so you aren't blinded by your bling top slide glinting in the "sun"), so in that case just take a sanding block, with fine grade wet and dry paper - P600 and a dab of water/soap.
      Work in a linear direction and work your way up grades i.e 800, 1000, 1200

If want a deep polish, get some autosol or similar metal polish and wax on...wax off, until you're happy

If you keep it unlaquerred, you will need to do this when the metal greys a little...

Comment

You can get rubber metal polishing bits for dremels, being rubber it removes paint but doesn't mark the metal.

That was Pre polish.
        section 24 of the 1968 Act
        Supplying imitation firearms to minors
        1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
        2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

Done an entire Guarder Kit for my 1911A1 (see below) and that was done by removing the paint with a 600 grit paper that was wet, then once the bare metal was on show, go to a 1200 paper to try to remove the hairline scratches if there was any. then once done with that, go to 2000 and finally 2500 (keep them all wet as it gives a better finish and less scratches)

Then oncve you are happy with the look, get a dremmel with the polishing wheel (you can get a cheap copy one from wilkinsons for like £15) and some Autosol, then apply dabs on the frame and polish it. Dont polish off the Autosol, keep it there till the wheel naturally throws it off, stop immediatly and buff off with a cloth and repeat till desired finish is achieved. If you can get a proper block of metal polish, do so! Any more advice, dont hesitate to ask.

from this

To this

WARNING. Post may contain traces of sarcasm. If you do not understand this, I pity your existence.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

The colonel Find out more about The colonel
          Working...
          X