New player, new kit...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New player, new kit...

Hi all. I had my first skirmish last time around and am happy to say its my new hobby. I bought my own gear with that in mind but suffice it to say, I wasn't deterred or disappointed by my experience at GZ.

However, among my equipment, was a JG Skorpion, in that electric blue two-tone as is their fashion. I never brought it with me because it doesn't seem to work. After handing it to my buddies to take a look at, they reckon the Hop Rubber is constricting the passage of BBs into the barrel - thus preventing them from actually firing.

So I was wondering, is it at all possible that someone out there has a spare hob rubber for the JG Skorpion, or knows somewhere I can get one from?

I did contact the suppliers, they suggested that it was a dry hop rubber and that I should put silicon spray down the magazine well, but I haven't tried that yet. However, I have surfed around for spare parts and this hop rubber thingy is pretty tough to find. Any pointers?
    "A shooter of limited skill, but dangerous enthusiasm."

Re: New player, new kit...

Hello and welcome to the Sport. :D

There are a couple of things you need to try before trying to replace the hop rubber on that thing.

1) Check that you have the Hop set to the off position and see if the gun fires.
    2) Check that you have wound the magazine or that the magazine is feeding correctly.
    3) Shine a light down the barrel in a darkened room, Can you see any light from under the gun where the BB's go? If not you may have a blocked barrel. Refer to instructions for cleaning the barrel.
    4) Did you load the Mag?

These are some of the basic things that may be responsible for the gun not firing. If it is not one of these I suggest you contact the retailer/seller and get then to sort it for you.

Get back to us if this does not fix it. :D

Comment

I tried all of this (except the barrel/light trick, I shoved a cleaning rod down there instead) before doing anything else. The magazine is feeding rounds into the mag well fine, in fact, I've even placed a round into the well and tried firing it upside down to see if it goes anywhere - but it doesn't.

Now, when I stuck a cleaning rod down there, it met resistance as if there were something sticky or dry that slowed the progress of the rod down the barrel, about where the hop rubber is. The suppliers (Actionhobbies) suggested it might be a dry hop rubber, in which case I should lube it with silicon, but having seen for myself when my mates took it apart, the Rubber definitely seems to have contracted to a less-than-adequate size.

Maybe its salvageable? When I fire the thing, all the bb's that obviously haven't gone anywhere just fall out loose when I take the mag out. It's not a feed issue, its definitely something stopping them going down the barrel.

Comment

im inexperienced too but did you turn off the hop before you cleaned the barrel?

Comment

Yeah, tried it both ways. unless the hop switch is jammed or otherwise malfunctioning, in which case I genuinely wouldn't be able to tell since normally I don't fiddle about with the hop.

In the manual it stated that sometimes the guns are supplied NOT in default hop-off setting, so bearing that in mind I followed the instructions and returned it to what I hope was the default setting. In any event, I've tried it both ways. There didn't seem to be any difference. Maybe it's that? If the hop affects how tight that rubber is, and the hop switch isn't doing anything, maybe thats my problem?

Comment

If the hop is all the way off, and nothing is happening send it back.

Sounds like AH are trying to fob you off. If they sent something that does not work when it arrives, then it's going back.

Soon as you try any DIY on it, they'll then have a reason to refuse the return!

Comment

AH does seem a bit dodgy recently.... my friend bought a dodgy deagle ( :P) from there a few weeks ago that seemed/seems to choose when it does and doesn't want to fire.

Comment

Interesting. They want me to send it back so it can be fixed, but this makes me wonder, who is paying the shipping on that? And if I am, why should I when I wouldn't have to if they supplied a working darn-tootin' gun?

That said, all the other stuff they've sent me is fine - I got my GR-16 from there and its a doozy. Bit wonky with its aim, mind...wait, maybe its just me

I'm reluctant to send the entire thing back over something so small. I have a horrid feeling this can just be fixed with a little tweak or some such, but obviously, I wouldn't know what to do or how.

Comment

If you have manually put a bb in the gun and it still wont fire then it is almost certainly more than just the hop. One last thing you can try is this. Put some tissue paper on a cushion or pillow then from an inch or so pull the trigger. Is there any air coming out of the barrel? If there is no air making it down the barrel then you have a compression issue that will take a lot more to fix.

Contact AH talk to them and explain that you have tried to get the gun to fire but it simply wont and ask them when will They be able to arrange collection for the gun. Don't argue with them just ask when. AH are quite reasonable people and it is there problem to sort out. If they flat refuse then lets us no on here and we will all call them and ask why they wont fix it. :D

Comment

Originally posted by ThatblokewiththeScar. View Post
                    Put some tissue paper on a cushion or pillow then from an inch or so pull the trigger. Is there any air coming out of the barrel?
                    Ahhhh you big softie! Put your hand by the end to feel it!

Live life on the edge :D

Comment

Originally posted by jagillham View Post
                      Ahhhh you big softie! Put your hand by the end to feel it!

Live life on the edge :D
                      Yeah i did that and now i have a welt on my finger from the coke can test
                      bravery pays

Comment

Originally posted by LtPurcy View Post
                        Yeah i did that and now i have a welt on my finger from the coke can test
                        bravery pays
                        See!!! Safety first... :p

Comment

Funnily enough I did try it, and yes, air is coming out!

Ah, I like the idea that if Action Hobbies won't pay, I can send "The Boys", or Ground Zero, to break their legs about it...Delusions of grandeur are a hobby of mine, sorry.

Comment

Forum Mafia!!!

Comment

From a bloke with a scar, no less. I bet your real name is Tony, or Vinnie, or Paulie, or something...

MAybe not Paulie. As ferocious as mafioso's called Paulie usually are, they are also comically small. Poor Joe Pesci :D

I talked to the post office, they said I'd be shelling out for it unless they can send me a reply slip or some such...but I don't know if they will or not. Added to the fact that I saw on GZ's shop that they're selling the same gun, without the beatnik paintjob, for £35 a piece...well, lets just say the nerd rage is building.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Waco475 I play airsoft. I don't live it. Find out more about Waco475
                              Working...
                              X