Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well I got my sopmod....but now I want to tinker

Hi chaps,

Well I've got a list of things I want to alter but I'm finding it hard to find the stock:-

M90 spring
    Firefly hop rubber set
    Prometheus 6.03 barrel.
    Laylax Hard stock piece
    Prometheus gold contacts
    Prometheus hard locking ring

I understand that I need to buy a specific length spring. Does anyone know what length? Also what length inner barrel do I need?

Can someone suggest what I need to replace the iron sight at the end of the barrel, I want to just have a euro tech sight and would like less clutter at the end.

Finally for a complete noob how easy is it to install the parts I want. Should I just get it done by a tech locally, I live in Swindon btw.

Cheers

Mark

Re: Well I got my sopmod....but now I want to tinker

id suggest changing your gears while your at it. Tm's gears tend to swish cheese on anything more than the stock fps. SHS have just released a range of tm recoil gears.

if youve never tackled an AEG before.. i suggest you swat up on youtube. open it wrong, and before you know it youve got gears springs and shims spread around a 10ft area.
    Last edited by CK; 14 February, 2013, 09:11.

Comment

Dont worry too much about the gears, they happily pulled an m100 for me. Decent bearings are a must though as TM nylon bearings are shocking and probably the cause of many gear failures. There is a place that makes the springs which someone eagled eyed enough could find. I also got ride of that rear wiring crap and rewired forwards with a peq box whichallowed decent batteries. Wish I had done that from day one.

Comment

I've got the locking ring and stock piece if you want one? I was going to fit them but have now decided to sell the gun. Drop me a PM and I might have some gold contacts somewhere I can't remember if bought any.

Comment

TM recoil gears will do and commonly fail quite quickly under anything beyond the regular spring. I've never one known a solid plastic bushing fail.

Comment

I've got one with a 110 spring here with a couple of coils clipped, it's still going strong granted I don't play on full auto since I only really play CQB.

Comment

You will definitely need a new gear set. Hornbill ones at £25 work perfectly well, and were much smoother than TM gears in my old Socom. I didnt swap the bushings, as they arent plastic in the Socom!?

Google recoil specific springs, as they are a different length than normal ones. Put in a standard aeg spring, and youll wreck the gun

Comment

In terms of spring you can use any aeg one however will need to cut it. Just cut it the same length of the one you replace
                “A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

Comment

theres absolutely no point doing that. recoil gun springs cost the same as standard aeg springs!?

Comment

Originally posted by Boo-Sabum Ben View Post
                    theres absolutely no point doing that. recoil gun springs cost the same as standard aeg springs!?
                    And if you were too cue a spring it wouldn't be rated at the same strength it was in the first place.

Comment

Just put a tight bore barrel in it don't mess with the rest there is absolutely no need whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by Boo-Sabum Ben View Post

And there's only one place that stocks them and he probably doesn't have everything on that shopping list in stock so why pay two lots of postage?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew March View Post
                          Just put a tight bore barrel in it don't mess with the rest there is absolutely no need whatsoever.
                          Im with Andrew.
                          Out the box whilst not the most powerful thing (40fps isnt going to buy much if any extra range) its still wickedly accurate.
                          section 24 of the 1968 Act
                          Supplying imitation firearms to minors
                          1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
                          2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark D View Post
                            Well I've got a list of things I want to alter
                            As a SOPMOD owner, the most important (and useful) upgrades are, in order:
                            1. First Factory Hard Inner Stock Block: If the original in your gun is broken yet, I assure you it will be soon; it's just not very well designed. Once it's broken it can cause misalignment of the contact bars in the stock resulting in arcing and poor power delivery. The replacement is milled from billet POM, so it's essentially indestructible and it only needs to be done once.
                            2. Battery Upgrade: The standard TM 8.4v QD batteries are bluntly pants. They're way too expensive, they take forever to charge (and will only charge reliably with the OEM charger, which is expensive), they're of low voltage and mediocre capacity (1300mAh) and they're NiMHs, so they start to go flat as soon as you take them off the charger. Since they take forever and you'll need three to guarantee a full day's play, by the time you've finished charging the third the first will be substantially reduced. They should be replaced with LiPos; Hot Power's 7.4v 3000mAh is sufficient and really you'll only need one (though buy two for surety of mind; they'll still add up to less than one OEM battery). While you're in there...
                            3. Deans Connectors: The supplied TM QD system is a big power bottleneck. The OEM system has four unsoldered connections eating into your electrical efficiency; removing it and simply soldering a Deans pigtail to the end of the contact bars eliminates all four and can grant you somewhere in the order of 2r/s all by itself. If you want, buying the Prometheus contact kit allows you to remove and store the original system unmodified to sell with the gun in case the next owner wants to return it to factory condition.

Only after you've completed those three should you bother opening the gun up, because that is a proverbial can of worms. For example, you will never need a hard locking ring if you never remove the stock tube, which you don't need to do unless you really take the gun apart. Personally, I would fit the Prometheus tightbore and Firefly bucking, and see what FPS you get. It may be that you're happy with it after just those improvements; remember, once you change a spring in a TM NexGen box, you end up having to change the gears, the cylinder and the cylinder head in fairly short order (so short, in fact, that you might as well do them at the same time).

If you are going to do those sort of upgrades, assess your skills and your tools. To complete the first three you'll need some screwdrivers, cable cutters, a wirestripper (or any knife and some care), a soldering iron, some flux and solder, and some patience. It's eminently the sort of thing you can do without experience; if you want detailed instructions PM me, I did a quick write-up for another forum. However, if you're going to start buggering around inside the gearbox, you'll need professional assistance in shimming, setting AoE - possibly even with disassembly and reassembly. The SOPMOD is way too expensive to be messing around in if you don't know what you're doing.

Comment

Thanks for the responses folks.

I think I will keep it simple and go for the firefly hopup and the tightbore. But firstly sort the battery out.

Anyone know the inner barrel length?

Cheers

Mark

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Mark D Find out more about Mark D
                              Working...
                              X