Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spare Parts Warranty

Originally posted by FlangTal1ty View Post

I understand the general feeling is just to buy a new one and take it on the chin (maybe that is what I will have to do), but isn't this attitude the reason why its so hard to fight your corner when it comes to these problems. The law should be on the consumers side but people seem to think that "its airsoft....just accept it" as if airsoft parts/guns will ultimately fail anyway and we should just keep shelling out money on an already overly expensive hobby.
    This is pretty much already covered under the law, less than 6 months and it's upto the manufacturer to prove there isn't a fault, after it's yours to prove there is. You are after so it's up to you, had this happened a few months ago and the responses should have been different.

My thoughts on this would be imagine it's a part someone has bought for their lawn mower, they fitted it and after 7 months it broke, they only cut the grass 6 times, same laws and is a part of a machine.
    sigpic

Comment

The best bit is, if you read the warranty, it will say something along the lines of 'only covered for intended use'.
      Now many people buy Airsoft stuff to shoot each other, kind of the point of Airsoft really.
      Now read the manufacturers terms or instructions, it clearly states (normally in comedy picture form) that you are not supposed to shoot anyone else with it.
      Warranty voided the second it's been used at a skirmish.

The motor issue is a bummer but 8 months it quite a long time, car manufacturers don't cover things like clutches, disks/drums and pads, its general wear and tear items, which sadly most of the components of an Airsoft gun fall under that.
      If the motor hasn't been fitted by the shop, its deemed as tampering, warranty voided (even if you can do it better yourself).
      The sad fact is, the nature of Airsoft guns means that warranties stand for nothing other than workmanship but proving you haven't tampered with it is a mission.
      section 24 of the 1968 Act
      Supplying imitation firearms to minors
      1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
      2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

Funny you mention that chimp. This is exactly why I was so gutted with the retailers responce, I deal with warranty claims for parts and whole goods on a daily basis and the example you mention is something I have claimed for on behalf of my customers and it they have been taken care of.

I put in a parts warranty once for a 50p bolt that sheared and took a £200 gearbox with it. Claimed for the lot and the customer didnt pay a penny! Maybe thats the differnce when dealing with a company like John Deere then expecting the same from a small time retailer.

I have given warranty replacements on plenty of parts for customers on good faith, if they keep coming back over and over I would question their technical knowledge and get our workshop to help, I just find it quite offensive/funny that an airaoft retailer can question my ability to install a motor when all that is involved is some shimming and motor height adjustment....

Comment

But the motor is a wear and tear item. Try claiming a new clutch plate for a car!
          Whilst you can do it correctly, how does a retailer or manufacturer know this? I reckon most returns on stuff is due to the owner cocking up on install.
          Don't forget to take into account, John Deere is a multinational, multi billion dollar cooperation. An Airsoft retailer isn't.
          The warranties on these components covers initial test (does it work straight out the box?). If yes then that's it, if the pinion failed in say a week, I reckon you would have got a replacement but let's be fair, 8 months with no definitive proof of how many rounds have been put across it (sadly, your word doesn't count as definitive).
          Most ACM stuff doesn't even come with a warranty anyway, so its left to the retailer who has no comeback on it.
          section 24 of the 1968 Act
          Supplying imitation firearms to minors
          1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
          2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

Originally posted by seansamurai1 View Post
            The best bit is, if you read the warranty, it will say something along the lines of 'only covered for intended use'.
            Now many people buy Airsoft stuff to shoot each other, kind of the point of Airsoft really.
            Now read the manufacturers terms or instructions, it clearly states (normally in comedy picture form) that you are not supposed to shoot anyone else with it.
            Warranty voided the second it's been used at a skirmish.
            Nope IMHO!

VCRA states that they are selling them to us for use in airsoft skirmishing, so to say that skirmishing voids the warranty would be illogical. Also, if they don't expect us to skirmish with them then selling them to us in the first place would have been illegal, so they can face a civil claim under SoGA, or criminal prosecution under VCRA. I'm more than ready to make a claim if one I buy new goes wrong.

Originally posted by Sir Stephen View Post
            you may know you only used sub 10,00 rounds, unfortunately, unless you can prove this you cant argue a case of reasonable use.
            But, unless there's a number of rounds clause written anywhere, that's up to a court to decide and not the retailer.

Originally posted by Sir Stephen View Post
            its a shame airsoft isn't more profitable for retailers, as if they could afford it im sure they would all offer a full years warranty on a lot of items. as it stands though, with the amount stuff does break in airsoft, they just cant do it.
            Irrelevant in law. SoGA applies regardless of the profit margins.

But the motor is a wear and tear item. Try claiming a new clutch plate for a car!
            I have and they paid out. I've also made claims for a faulty gearbox and bad quality brake pads - all paid.

The advantage I had, though, was that I had them fitted professionally. On that subject, qualifications aren't the only way of proving competence, so a person who opens gearboxes for a living at an airsoft shop would be seen as just as believable as someone with a masters in aeronatical engineering, perhaps more so.

Most ACM stuff doesn't even come with a warranty anyway, so its left to the retailer who has no comeback on it.
            And that's why I look at anything bought from HK as a potential write-off. If you buy ACM from the UK, though, the retailer is legally obliged to cover repair/replacement/refund costs under SoGA regardless. The good ones do, the bad ones just try to bluff it.

I've been to small claims court 4 times and won every time. It's what the law says and what you can prove to the balance of probability that matters; you don't need to prove that the other person is wrong, just that you're more likely to be right.

Still, in this case, the initial cost may not be worth the hassle. Having said that, if it went to court the cost of getting another shop to write a report would be an expense that could be added to the claim. The retailer who sold it may well pay out just to avoid the hassle of going to court and the risk of being ordered to pay for the motor, court costs, the report, interest on the value of the motor, loss of earnings and expenses in attending the court case and potentially the difference in buying it from elsewhere. I was given £153 on top of the £60 refund when I sued a supermarket over a faulty DVD player!
            sigpic

Comment

Caveira is wise, heed his words!!

my points where that if number of rounds used was the way of proving acceptable use, he would have a hard time showing how many he had actually used.

my point about the profit margins was more to point out a reason why so many retailers try to avoid such refunds. as you said, the law is the law, but they would be much faster to oblige if it was a bit easier for them to do so. as it stands, they say no the 1st few times, they win. its only when osmeone such as yourself comes along that they do what they should have done in the 1st place.

with regards to qualifications comment, it was more of a point to say that if the retailer where to try and use the "experienced airsoft tech" line, that would be my reply to them.

dont get me wrong, i may have all the qualifications i need for my job, but when my airsoft stuff breaks i still prefer to send it to JohnyJ.
              For Sale!
              TM M870 with a load of stuff
              A&K massada sniper spec
              Chronograph
              leaving airsoft so everything must go

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

FlangTal1ty I like guns and enjoy shooting people, all you need to know :-) Find out more about FlangTal1ty
              Working...
              X