Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

how to achieve a weathered look on a plastic gun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to achieve a weathered look on a plastic gun?

I'm looking at weathering my G&G cm16, just so it's a little different.

Obviously weathered looks can be achieved much more realistically on metal guns, so how would you go about it on plastic surfaces?

Re: how to achieve a weathered look on a plastic gun?

get some model paint in silver and do the edges, if you look up warhammer painting guides youll see what i mean, you could alwats just get a metal gun or body?
    -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
    -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

Originally posted by jonny lovegrove View Post
      get some model paint in silver and do the edges, if you look up warhammer painting guides youll see what i mean, you could alwats just get a metal gun or body?

Thanks for the reply, I did look at some metal bodys, but didn't really see the point getting one for a fairly cheap gun

Comment

maybe I should have said an 'aged' look instead of weathered.

Comment

just rough it up a bit. changing the look of a plpastic gun isnt too easy short of painting it and then aging/weathering that
          -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
          -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

Silver coat and then black on top. When the top coat of black gets worn it will show silver.

My shotty done this way:

sigpic

Comment

Other option is dry brushing. Basically get some silver paint on your brush then remove excess paint from the brush onto a piece of paper (until the the amount of paint coming off it is barley visible) then brush the raised areas or he areas you want to age in criss cross motions and it will give the appearance of wear.
              First and Only R.A.F Upper Heyford Site Operations Manager

Comment

Thanks again for the replies, May try the dry brushing method

Comment

Dry brushing with some gun-metal grey or silver paint looks great.

Comment

just a question on the dry brushing method, I did painting and decorating for a while, and have some aluminium wood primer, which is grey/silver. I'm not sure if this would lay on the plastic too well though? suppose it's worth a go really

Comment

get a tin of tan spraypaint and dust it over...

Comment

As I've made a few gold medal scale models . I'd go for the dry brushing method, as said before easily done, I'd use a humbrol tinlet of paint.
                        1) don't stir paint
                        2) use something to dig/ scrap out the paint pigment at bottom place on lip of tin
                        3) using a wide flat brush (1/2 or 1 inch)
                        4) dip tip of brush in pigment on side of the tin you just put there
                        5) using a rag rub brush over rag until just a little is left on brush
                        6) just brush over area you want weathered

Just take your time practice on anything that has a raised surface. Another way is to use a sponge green or metal scrub pad same method used but dab instead of brushing.now here's one you may not heard of and that's MAMITE don't laugh but I've seen this done at model show and was gob smacked
                        1) spray area silver/aluminium leave to dry
                        2) dab marmite over silver area (don't not touch)
                        3 spray black over this leave to dry
                        4) using warm soapy water wash off area you just spray
                        When marmite has been washed away you left with silver underneath
                        Hope this helps just take your time

sigpic
                        OHHH BEHAVE!!
                        GETSUM! GETSUM! GETSUM!
                        YEAH BABY YEAH

Comment

The easiest way to approach this is the same way you would approach weathering a model kit, silvering can be acheived using graphite or dry brushing metalic paint, the same for dusting. Obviously if you are using graphite pencils you need to seal it using a matt clear coat over the top. Try a google search for weathering model kits tutorials. You should get a few hits.

Comment

To me the main problem with dry brushing is that it puts wear where you think it should happen, and not always where it happens naturally. I've used it plenty of times on models, but as our guns get knocked about when we're using them it makes sense to me to let the wear and tear happen as normally as possible.
                            sigpic

Comment

I agree but when we are talking about plastic bodied AEGs like the OP normal weathering won't happen, obtaining good reference material will help a lot which is exactly what I would do if i were painting any other model kit.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

trigger happy Find out more about trigger happy
                              Working...
                              X