Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TM G3 SG1 modding advice, please.

Hi,

Was thinking of potentially upgrading a TM G3 SG1 with tight bore barrel and was hoping for advice on whether I should mod, which barrel would work, where to buy it and any other helpful words on modding it or links to videos etc.

Thanks

Re: TM G3 SG1 modding advice, please.

Very very mod-able gun the G3. Have you decided why you want to upgrade it or what you want from the end result?

The inner barrel if memory serves is around 460mm so it wont be the cheapest barrel to buy anyway. Assuming you don't want to go silly then stick with 6.03 .04 .05 These diameters will give you a little added push and will tighten up the groupings at distance. Don't expect extra range from a tight bore as they don't work that way. There are a few makes to try from Prometheus to Element. I had a Systema in mine back in the day and that worked beutifully, however I have Madbull, Classic Army & Vanara's in variouse guns and on the whole they all perform the same.

If range is your goal then you should seriously look at the TK Twist barrels. These are quite amazing and do in most case's give significant improvements in standard power guns. There are a few reviews and guides in the tech section.

Always look at using better ammunition when upgrading, Heavy ammo is not just for snipers, plus there are things you can do to the hop unit as well like H-Nubs and harder Bucking's. Don't go mad do each upgrade one bit at a time and get used to how the gun shoot's in between upgrades.

Comment

Just gathering info on simple upgrades (ones I can do) that will improve it at a sensible cost. I guess better grouping is what i'm after and maybe more fps, which I think as stock is about 280-290, but it is old, so guessing 360-370 (yet to chrono).

Also, if anyone knows how to fix the plastic squeaking/creaking, then please let me know.

Comment

Well if accuracy is you're game then start with the 6.03 barrel of your choice. If it is an older gun then it might be time to replace the hop Bucking get an original TM version to start with. I have Element H-nubs in most of my guns and they work wonder's. And depending on how trigger happy you are spend a little more money on your ammo. Madbull, KSC-Perfect etc.

Changing the barrel and hop on the G3 is a fairly straight forward affair. Look on YouTube and you will find many video guide's.

Then just take time to set it up correctly and make sure you keep the barrel and hop clean and in good condition.

Don't worry to much about power. Unless the gun crono's at 200fps then leave hiking the power up until you have the gun shooting more consistently with your chosen upgrades.

If it's a list you want then.

MadBull or Vanara's Barrels for value for money.
        Systema or Prometheus if you have deeper pockets.
        Stock TM Hop rubber or again from personnel preference Element V-Hop rubbers and H-Nubs.
        MadBull perfection 0.2g BB's or KSC Perfection 0.23g.

Originally posted by Bad_Intel View Post
        Also, if anyone knows how to fix the plastic squeaking/creaking, then please let me know.
        That's one of the great unanswerable airsoft questions my friend.:D:D:D

Comment

Actually, just pad out the inside of the foregrip and most of the creaking goes, I think I Had an old american flag in mine for a couple of years, didn't fail. I also tried foam and scrim netting, basically if it makes your hand grip difficult to squeeze on, the creaking goes down alot.

Barrel wise, If you want accuracy and are not too fussed about extreme range, go for one of the better made barrels, preferably steel because they allow smaller tolerances, which is what you want for a more consistent airflow, and less variance in BB flight...

By this i'd say any of- Prometheus, PDI, KM (KM are very fussy about the hop up sleeve you put over the barrel for a good airseal however) and get either a prometheus, guarder clear, or systema sleeve for guaranteed workability.

Firefly , madbull shark and KM rubbers that have the notches inside whilst very good when they work, are inconsistent from rifle to rifle, but more importantly wear out quicker too.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - Napolean

Comment

For the body, the generic TM body is plastic, to be honest, if this is something you don't like you might be better off getting a JG metal or CA metal ones and starting from there. I spent a lot of time and effort on mine and trying to find a metal body for the G3 is suprisingly difficult as they aren't a lot around.
            "It is better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it!"

Armoury:G&G GR300, ICS MP5 SD5 CA.TM hybrid G3 SG1,TM PX4, KSC G34, WE M92L Airsoft Surgeon Tiger Cat, VFC KAC PDW RA TECH version

Comment

Hey martin.

just a little more info on the gun mate. As for being old I only used it about 7 or 8 times since new so internally should be almost as new. Plus with the recent clean and service I had done to it you will probably find it is pretty much running as stock New. Accuracy? Well before I dropped it off for you I tested it in the garden and it was hitting a grouping of about 3 inches or so from about 30 yards or so and no flyers. Possibly start with a spring and hop upgrade mate as the rest is pretty much in top shape. Again as said above hard to get metal for it, but since the JG is a clone try to get hold of a cheap knackered on and ripp the metal bits off it for your G3.
              Feedback link

http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33181

Comment

i do alot of modifications to my g3 and one big thing you missing is a extremly good hop up if you have a good hopup and a good barrel you will nailing every thing in you sight if you looking to upgrade you fps put a new cylender set in there but if you have a tm version you should not need to upgrade to many internals

Comment

That is all sound advice, thanks. Thanks also to jfox for this beauty, can't wait to use it.

Comment

Hey , i think you should get a tightbore barrel and an upgraded spring to start off with , obviously , power and range affected :D

Comment

With the fitment of just a tightbore 6.03 barrel, what FPS would you see? I am right in thinking that it tends to go up with the addition of a tightbore... right?
                      sigpic

Comment

Tight bores improve accuracy and fps, by reducing the escape of airflow to the bb. I never did mod my G3, sadly life got in the way.

Comment

Yeah I'm thinking of buying one, but due to site limits dont want to go much over 320fps. I think I'll just get a standard power one, and a tightbore barrel for it, and I shouldn't go over that mark, right?
                          sigpic

Comment

nice to see this thread was revived, some great advice....

think i'll have a look at some upgrades for my G3

cheers
                            h e y d r i c h
                            L T F S

tm ngrs scar l | tm ngrs ak102 | g&g arp556 | g&g arp9 | tm spas12 | we xdm | well mp7

Comment

My G3sg1 has the standard box in again, i have fitted a Madbull v2 6.03 barrel and a Guarder hop rubber and used a biro tube for the nub. this gives good range and accuracy also i have put some ptfe tape around the hop to try to get better air seal, seems to work i get a steady 290fps on .2's (used to get 265-270)then i use 2.5's in it to increase the accuracy.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Bad_Intel Find out more about Bad_Intel
                              Working...
                              X