Advice for new players!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for new players!

I've posted this elsewhere on the webs and it has proven popular so will see what you guys think:

Ok, so you feel like Call of Duty isn’t quite cutting it any more? I bet you’re kwikscoping noobz like there’s no tomorrow. But you’re either too young or too unfit to join the army. Right?

WELCOME TO AIRSOFT.

Now if you were to click *back* a few times on your browser, no doubt there will be pages with lots of shiny toy guns. But like some people always say, your first purchases should be a sturdy pair of boots and eye protection.

Now whilst these ARE important to buy before a gun. They are not to be your first purchase. No. Your first purchase should be a full length mirror. What’s the point in spending (what will end up being) a lot of money on airsoft gear if you can’t admire how goddamn operator you look in it?

Got it? Good.

Now you can buy your boots and eye protection.

Anyway. I’ve drawn up this shopping list of stuff you will probably buy over your first year of airsofting based on my observations of other new players.

(Pre UKARA)
    1. Two tone gun
    2. Two tone pistol
    3. Surplus combats that are probably ill fitting
    4. Cheap boots to replace those addidas you broke
    (Post UKARA)
    5. Imitation firearm (You now realise that EVERYONE was right when they said not to buy a two tone)
    6. Multicam BDU from china (don’t ever wash this. It WILL fade)
    7. Second hand chest-rig
    8. Better boots that actually cost more than a tenner and are not from shoe zone
    9. Army of Two facemask or something similar
    10. Another gun
    11. Another gun
    12. Viper drop leg holster. From this day forward, you will not be able to run comfortably whilst playing airsoft
    13. Some sort of headcam
    14. Another gun
    15. Gloves

Now compare that to a list of the stuff you SHOULD buy:

(Pre UKARA)
    1. Mirror
    2. DECENT boots (Spend at least £50)
    3. Eye/face protection. (Don’t be a penny pincher here either)
    4. BDU (Buy cheap certainly…. but just don’t wash it)
    5. Gloves
    (Post UKARA)
    6. Imitation firearm. By now you will have tried out a few different guns and formed a good opinion of what you want
    7. Sling
    8. Pistol
    9. Holster (NOT BLOODY VIPER)

Anyway. These lists are not exhaustive and of course are subject to individual circumstance, but are a good guideline.

Some pointers to help you in your airsoft journey:
    -Never buy anything viper. It’s s***.
    -BB’s are not bullets and do not behave as such. Don’t be too quick to accuse someone of cheating. Chances are you’re not even hitting them.
    -Chinese stuff is cheap for a reason. Don’t expect a diamond when you pay for coal.
    -Airsoft isn’t war. Don’t treat is as such.
    -Looking rad ALWAYS comes before tactics, teamwork and skill.
    -Nobody ever listens to the game briefing unless there are sexy props.
    -MAGPUL stuff actually makes you a more skilled player
    -Multicam stuff actually renders you invisible
    -You will never stop buying guns

Here are some answers to your questions:

-Yes, you can get sniper rifles

Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by sj_asc; 25 March, 2013, 13:27. Reason: Language, there are minors viewing these boards!

Re: Advice for new players!

this is brilliant! haha
    sigpic

Comment

this is good but i don't agree with "-Never buy anything viper. It’s s***." viper thing are normally cheap and last a long time I've been airsofting for a year and my viper vest is still good and comfortable but i have just brought a chest rig for when it starts to get hotter(and yes its viper.) just because your not paying £100 for a warrior ciras doesn't mean its bad. totally agree with everything else
      Last edited by sj_asc; 25 March, 2013, 13:28. Reason: Edited in addition to corrections made to the OP

Comment

Got to admit, I'm still using the same viper 3-point sling as I had when I first started. But as a general rule, if it can be avoided I suggest avoiding viper. I've come across some absolutely shocking products of theirs. I guess it's hit and miss but I'm not willing to take the gamble.

Comment

Good advice, although I will admit to buying a two tone. Reasons being, it cost not a lot , too be honest cost less than the hire cost of a gun for 3 sessions at my local venue.
          It's a solid ak krinkov, and has decent accuracy, range and fps, as my local venue is cqb it wouldn't matter greatly if it were a tad less so.
          The advantage of having my two tone, as far as I'm concerned , is that I've taken it apart and gotten to know the internal workings, ive switched the gear box for a v3 and back again, why? Because I could. I wasn't worried about busting something or having my only gun out of action.
          It was a good buy, and I'd do it again without hesitation :-)

Comment

I like it a lot!
            However I didn't follow many of the rules when I first started. It was gun or nothing!
            But this is a great little guide.
            Hero to some, Villain to most.

Comment

I've built up a few bits of kit over the last year and only one thing has ever broken beyond repair. Yes you guessed it, a Viper drop leg holster!

Comment

A couple of points, first you have failed to mention anything about not being able to buy ANY gun until you are 18, which might give the impression that anyone of any age can buy a two tone gun. Second, you mention UKARA as if it is the only way of being able to purchase a RIF, this should be corrected to say instead, once you have your defence against the VCRA. UKARA is not the be all and end all of Airsoft, in fact the only reason UKARA was setup was to protect retailers from prosecution, it has nothing to do with the players whatsoever and there are numerous ways a player can purchase RIFs without being on the UKARA database.

Also, informing players not to listen to the game brief is highly irresponsible, the game brief includes safety information and if anything you should be encouraging players to pay more attention, it might seem boring but could be the difference between you having a fun day and breaking an ankle.

Other than those points it's pretty informative but I would encourage potential players to read the relevant sections of the VCRA and I would include a section things NOT to do when you've got your guns, i.e. 'Do not run down the street waving your gun around', hard to imagine someone might be that stupid but I know of someone who travelled to a game on a public train with an M60 in plain sight, imagine his surprise when the armed police were waiting for him, when he got off the train!

Comment

Andrew March, yeah everything you say is absolutely true... I did write this with a bias towards humour rather than exhaustive accuracy which I hope is apparent.

The 'what not to do' idea has some comedic yet genuinely informative potential (people really can be pretty dumb), so if it's ok by you, I'll hold onto that idea and maybe write something up within the next few days.

Comment

+1 to avoiding viper. Although their assault vest has stayed strong, I made the mistake of buying one of their holsters, and it cost me a KJW 1911.
                    "Unleash just one load into the enemy
                    and be ready to go again straight
                    away... and that doesn't happen very
                    often does it lads!" - ZeroOne

Comment

Used to carry a pistol in a Viper dropleg.

I then made the best purchase of my airsoft career so far, of a Blackhawk Serpa Holster.

I will never use any other holster.
                      sigpic

Comment

Blackhawks are great though I prefer IMI as I find them easier to use with gloves on.

Comment

No problem wit humour mate but don't forget themz foolz who will take it literally, like me

Comment

My viper holster had a nasty habit of ejecting 1911 and hicapa magazines and pistols.
                            I've had a viper sling that lasted 2 skirmishes until it decided to eject an M16 onto a concrete floor, the sling clips had given up.
                            section 24 of the 1968 Act
                            Supplying imitation firearms to minors
                            1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
                            2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

+1 with Sean on the viper holsters ejecting Hi capa mags. I have lost a few in my time. Viper Sling lasted 1 game and the hook bent.
                              This is my rifle, this is my gun.
                              This ones for fighting and this ones for fun!!!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

McKillmore Just a grown man running around playing with toy guns. Pew pew! Find out more about McKillmore
                              Working...
                              X