Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Payment by cheque?

Hi dude,
    I'm asking it here cos think it may help a few more people then just me.

Basically found a pistol on here that I want to buy, totaly perfict for me!! The seller is great at replying to questions ect, but they won't take paypal and want payment by check. Just wondering if any of you guys have payed like this before and if I have any form of protection?
    Or is it money suicide??

Thanks guys
    Theo
    sigpic

Re: Payment by check??

Cheque....

And depends if you trust the seller. Paypal really offers much less protection than you might expect.

With a cheque you got an address, and it could be tracked to which bank account it is paid in to aswell.

So really, should be ok.

Comment

Personally, I think cheque is the safest way of paying.

As Jag says, you will have an address for them and your bank (and the police if needed) can find out who cashes the cheque.

Also, there's no way anyone can' claim that you didn't agree to a contract for the sale if you wrote a cheque.

The only downside is the clearance time. Having said that, If you can get your bank or building society to make one out for you over the counter, the seller may well post straight away as that's as good as cash because they won't write the cheque if you don't have the money in your account and you can't sop it.
      sigpic

Comment

Great thanks for that dude, yeah do trust the seller!

And sorry about spelling cheque as check lol put it down to drinking and waiting for the superbowl later lol.
        sigpic

Comment

paypal will not cover you once you mention its a gun , they will not cover you for disputes as I found to my cost, they only seem to cover for lost in the post items

Comment

If you ask the bank for a 'bankers draft' its basically cash in a cheque form.... man, did that just sound stupid?? You cant get a draft without funds in your acc, the seller can, effectivly, cash it straight away by the funds creditin the acc when you pay it in and you should (!?!) get the sellers acc details when its paid in.. Not totally sure bout that last bit.. worth checkin for sure
            Last edited by Sci Fi Steve; 8 February, 2010, 08:46. Reason: text type

Comment

If you are stuck, the next best thing is postal orders, they are paid for upfront and cashed in at the other end, you can get a reciept for them as proof and if you send recorded you have a nice paper trail if the worst should happen. It costs no extra to get them, so for example 30 quids worth will cost you, well 30 quid, and the other party gets spookily 30 quid back in cash.
              I used to favour postal orders when I was selling parts of my bike as there was no extra hassle, just dont believe anyone when they say there is a limit, I had that and the lad said "My mum says I can only get 50 pounds worth", which is utter BS, if you have the money and they have the POs you can buy them. They are the post offices version of a voucher.
              Otherwise a cheque is a safe bet for all the reasons mentioned in above posts.
              section 24 of the 1968 Act
              Supplying imitation firearms to minors
              1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
              2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

Originally posted by seansamurai1 View Post
                If you are stuck, the next best thing is postal orders, they are paid for upfront and cashed in at the other end, you can get a reciept for them as proof and if you send recorded you have a nice paper trail if the worst should happen. It costs no extra to get them, so for example 30 quids worth will cost you, well 30 quid, and the other party gets spookily 30 quid back in cash.
                I used to favour postal orders when I was selling parts of my bike as there was no extra hassle, just dont believe anyone when they say there is a limit, I had that and the lad said "My mum says I can only get 50 pounds worth", which is utter BS, if you have the money and they have the POs you can buy them. They are the post offices version of a voucher.
                Otherwise a cheque is a safe bet for all the reasons mentioned in above posts.
                Actually mate, they charge on top, 10%. I had to send £70 as a postal order once and was charged £77.
                Have I bought or sold an item that relates to you recently? If so, please leave me my iTrader

Comment

Re: Payment by cheque?

Hmm never had that myself, it was just a case of buying them from the post office, hand over yer hard cash and get worthless paper back, and vice versa for claiming back your cash.
                  section 24 of the 1968 Act
                  Supplying imitation firearms to minors
                  1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
                  2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

Originally posted by seansamurai1 View Post
                    Hmm never had that myself, it was just a case of buying them from the post office, hand over yer hard cash and get worthless paper back, and vice versa for claiming back your cash.

Yeh mate they do charge on top, think of it theyve gotta make cash too.
                    Originally posted by spetsnazdave87
                    Just because something is in Transformers 2 doesnt make it real.

Comment

Pay by postal order or a check , with an insured envelope :D

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Mrt88 skirmishing around the country: Stafford, Stoke, London Find out more about Mrt88
                      Working...
                      X