GBB AK's - options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GBB AK's - options?

In a nutshell, I'm bored of AEG's and I fancy moving on to a GBBr to dabble with. I've read online that GBBr's require more maintenance and looking after than an AEG but are much simpler to actually work on due to being all mechanical. I'm up to the challenge of tinkering with a rifle rather than just letting them sit around as you can with AEG's, and I fancy an AK of some variety. I'm sure that many players who fancy the switch to GBBr's are in a similar boat to me and just want some basic question's answered.

The main contenders I've managed to find reviews on are the WE AK series (I particularly like the PMC version) and the GHK AK series. I just have a few question for all you GBBr adepts out there;

1; Which is the best out of the box? I'm expecting the answer here to be WE but I'm certainly happy to be told otherwise. By best I mean which will I need to spend the least upgrading to get it to a skirmishable standard. Which leads too...

2; How much extra should I set aside for added upgrades to the rifle after it's been purchased? I'm expecting things such as an NPAS, but please include everything you think. I'm going to be doing some considerable research before I actually choose, and so I'm not in a rush.

And finally...

3; What, in your opinion, are the most important maintenance procedures to go through before and after a skirmish. Don't feel the need to limit this to AK's of a certain brand or whatever; just general tips for anyone who wants to start using GBBr's would be useful!

Thanks a lot guys!
    sigpic

James, i have a mate selling a WE AK?
    -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
    -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

Re: GBB AK's - options?

Yeeeah I know - I don't know whether I'm committed to it yet or not... Plus I'm waiting till my M4 is sold. How much is he asking for it?
      sigpic

Comment

Probably around 350 or something. Comes with a fair bit. And he will tell you how to maintain it ect
        -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
        -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

Sorely sorely tempted. I seriously am... FB. I'd have to scrabble together some extra funds but I think it'd be worth it :L desperately do want ngl.
          sigpic

Comment

we ak74su s very nice. Add in 4 extra mags at 37 quid each generally. £15 for an npas and a tenner sling. optionally brasso polish out of arrel, an ra tech hop rubber and h nub for a good range. Lots of propane and a good dose of radio control car shock oil (i use schumacker 500 wt for a smooth bolt action)
            i get a very good range and in cqb the noise is epic.

Comment

There's a in-depth review of the WE ak on arnies airsoft forum, I'd say the new GHK AKs will be best, internals are solid and won't break unlike the WE and the externals are a lot nicer
              Hate.
              "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his

General George S.patton

Dboys AK74U with Samson rail (y)

Comment

Originally posted by gijohn2 View Post
                There's a in-depth review of the WE ak on arnies airsoft forum, I'd say the new GHK AKs will be best, internals are solid and won't break unlike the WE and the externals are a lot nicer
                Are the a new range of GhK ones? Not impressed by the ones so far. The WE has very solid externals (I think the PMC looks shite though with that m4 stock). Internals on mine are very good but , as is with any gbb it will need upgrade/replacement parts at some point.

Comment

I had a GHK AKM V2. It was a thing of beauty, ran CO2 mags all day, and was solid. Easy teardown for maintenance too. If you want the best that's what I would go for.
                  Loved that thing, but it had to go for funds. Shame.

Comment

I'm torn, but I'm talking to someone w.r.t a WE AK for a pretty nice price, considering what it comes with. I've seen video reviews on youtube of the GHK, dno if it's the most recent version but it looks nice too. I just fancy a modern AK for some reason, which is weird because I spent all of my time just last year bitching about how you shouldn't deface a beautiful wooden AK... How times change haha. ANY GBBr is going to need parts replacing at some point though aren't they? Just like any AEG, only since the GBBr's are entirely mechanical the wear is faster I'd imagine. The payoffs must be worth it though, the silly grins on your face when you fire it in an enclosed space...
                    sigpic

Comment

Parts will need replacing eventually but the problem you have is that the WE parts break easily and the RA-tech replacement parts need to be fiddled with to work properly OR you keep buying stock WE parts and replace them as they break
                      Hate.
                      "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his

General George S.patton

Comment

Didn't KWA/KSC make a GBB AK or two? I'd have thought (based on their other GBB rifles/AEGs) that they'd be another excellent option - a brief google suggests they arent out yet though!
                        Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

the kwa ak74 is out, it's stocked at one of the main hobby shops in Asia
                          Hate.

General George S.patton

Comment

For out-of-the-box function, the WE is pretty decent. However, the GHK pips it for looks (the OEM for the GHK is LCT - who make superb AK bodies and parts - and gives you access to a huge range of optional external parts), and when upgraded, for function as well.

Comment

Yeah I've heard some of the WE parts aren't the strongest, but I mean every gun gets a bit knackered at some point. How much "fiddling" is involved in getting most RATech parts to fit? I thought they were designed for the WE guns, although I may be having a moment. I'm not tooooo bothered about aftermarket externals because I quite like the look of the WE AK PMC, but I have heard wonderful things about LCT. And KWA too, I have their AEG M4 and it's a monster... Shame it isn't out over here yet though. Plus I'd need to upgrade it with an NPAS and all that jazz, whereas the gun I'm looking at atm has all that crap done to it already. Arrgh the choices!
                              sigpic

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

FullMetalAsh Astronomy, Airsoft, Guitar. Sorted. Find out more about FullMetalAsh
                              Working...
                              X