Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complete newbie

Hey guys,

Firstly may I say congratulations on having such a good community, I've been browsing for a few days now and have finally decided to make an account and post for the first time *gulp*.

Basically I want to get into Airsoft. Its a refreshing change from my current hobby and looks really fun and something i most certainly want to get involved with. Theres one problem. I don't know how or what to do to start my Airsoft "career" off.

I'm 21 and live in Central London, I understand my closest site is Bunker 51 but I read the review thread on here and it was mixed so I am not sure if that's the place to go for my first opinion on Airsoft?!

I'm in full time employment so money is not an issue but I am really interested in CQB/Indoor/Urban sites so maybe that narrows my options down a tad.

The main questions Im' asking in my head is my first time. What do I take/don't take do i just turn up? Do I have to book in advance, I honestly don't know haha. I'm really sorry if I offend people with either my ignorance or stupidity but this is a completely new field for me and this looks like the place to ask.

Any tips or suggestions will be amazing.
    Thanks Alot
    Tom.

Re: Complete newbie

Most sites you will have to book ahead, especially if you don't have any of your own gear.
    I can't review any sites in London, but my local/regular is the Mall, Reading. Excellent CQB site, marshalls are great. But to rent you have to book in about 3 weeks before the game date usually. One of the most expensive sites too (but one of the most unique)

As for what to take, theres been quite a few threads on it, use the search function; begginers guides etc.
    But the basics are, Hat, Gloves, Decent Boots, Jeans, Hoody.
    Most places rental will give you Gun, Ammo, Mags and Face protection.
    If you are serious buying decent face protection and boots is the FIRST thing you should buy.

Comment

Firstly, welcome to the forums and most importantly the sport! I'm sure you'll love it, your bank account will hate it, and your better half, if at all like mine, will be bemused by it. But anyways!

For your first game, don't bring anything but money and an open mind. You don't need anything else if you're renting if you like the experience, then start thinking about a gun and a load out, but please wait until you have a site membership till you get a gun so that you don't get a slime green abomination. Start smart and get gear; a decent vest/plate carrier and some nice camoflage, or whatever sort of load out you fancy. Then, once you have a defence (read all about the VCRA on this forum, try to digest and understand it because it's a topic of frequent debate on here) you're free to buy a realistic imitation firearm. Then the ******* *****'s your oyster!

In short, just book a rental place at a reputable site (I can second the opinion on The Mall - fantastic site!) and have a great day. Read site reviews on here if you want an average joe airsofter's opinion on a site - generally very reliable. The ones you should really avoid are plentifully documented on this forum too.

Hope you love it half as much as all of us do!!
      sigpic

Comment

If you are serious about it buy a good set off boots. The work out if you can play in shooting glasses or do you need mesh goggles. I personally sweat like an Arab camel molester and can't wear glasses. This should do until you play enough to register for UKARA. Then you will be able to purchase none two tone guns. Then you can build a loadout from there. Just remember to go a shop and don't just buy a gun on a whim because you want one. Have a look and gets hands on and see what you like.

And I would defo try and play an outdoor game if I where you. Mucho fun lol.

Hope this helps
        If you ain't first, your last!

Comment

the mall in reading is one of the most expensive sites as has been mentioned but if your in london then you can get a 30 min train to reading and the site is about 1min walk away. - It is also a very cool site.

As others have said - keep the hell away from 2-tone and just show up with money and some food/drink. You can have a look at the different kind of gear other ppl wear and talk to them about guns - most of them will be happy to let you handle and fire theirs so you can get an idea of what kind you like.

Comment

Cant believe no one has reccomended taking a friend haha. Always better with good company. Id reccomend taking water, food if it isnt provided (and if youre not a fan of fast food if thats whats provided). Talk to people at the site if you have any questions. Most airsofters are friendly and helpful in my experience
            Oderint Dem Metuant

Comment

Where abouts in Central London? I'm SE1 area and am heading down to Anerley this Saturday to play at TWA's (Tactical Warfare Airsoft) CQB site. It's not massive, but it is friendly and fun - where I played my first game and loved it, easily accessible from central too - if you're coming along give me a shout

EDIT - if you're close to Bunker 51, then you'll be close to TWA Anerley, Sandpit (Greenhithe, outdoor/indoor mix and FANTASTIC), if you can get to Liverpool St. easily then some Essex sites are reasonably accessible - though I'm assuming all of this based on public transport - if you have a car it'll be a LOT easier.

In terms of what to bring/not bring - as others have said, boots. Get some good ones, they are the one of the best investments you'll make. After that, I bought some eye protection + face mask and some camo, then other bits and bobs of kit up until I could get my own RIF(s).

Again, as previously recommended don't bother with two-tone : You're 21, you can buy a RIF, and it's not that long to wait.

Water is a good idea, as is cash - you'll want some BBs, possibly a flash or two if you get excited :D

Most of all, I'd say just get to a site ASAP and get going - you can't be sure you'll enjoy it until you actually play!

Comment

Firstly thanks to everyone for the reply! This community truly knows how to make you feel welcome *blushes*

So from the advice I can see one of the main ones being about boots, I work in security and boots are a must here as i work in a hospital so needles ect so boots are not an issue for me, i can get them free haha :D Secondly I now know not to buy a gun untill I have my licence, does anyone recommend places to buy guns from when i do eventually get my licence?
                @biscuitninja im from SE24 mate, just off Camberwell and unfortunately i dont drive but being in central London i can use public transport to get anywhere.

One last thing, once you have done a fair amount of Lone Wolf'ing and playing with 1 or 2 friends is there chances to join teams? Play matches against other teams ect? how does that work?

Thanks again everyone for the tips, much love!

Tom

Comment

Other retailers are not mentioned on here bud, but you can try these forums for deals once your registered. I have never shop bought again once I came on here.

You can start a team or may be invited to join one. You'll get to know other line wolfers like I did and you's will play like a team haha.

Glad your in the sport anyway bud
                  If you ain't first, your last!

Comment

I went lone wolf for my first couple of games, since made friends who I play with when I can, and/or team up with randoms to play - all about getting stuck in!

If you're in Camberwell you're just down the road from me (Southwark), TWA Anerley is the easiest to get to on public transport from near here and 5 mins from Anerley station. There's a game on Saturday if you're free? CQB with an emphasis on C drop me a PM if you want to come along.

In terms of guns/places to buy them it's best to ask around your local - there's a couple of good retailers in London, but can't mention them on here!

Comment

Yeah, best to book in advance so you're guaranteed a hire gun. As for things to take:

1: Boots (trainers and Airsoft sites are not normally a good combination, and i've seen plenty of ankle injuries during my time in Airsoft)
                      2: Water bottle
                      3: Cash for your rental gun and ammo
                      4: Sense of humour
                      5: Spare clothes. You *really* don't want to be sitting on public transport on the way back when you're soaked to the skin
                      6 Er........can't think of anything else off the top of my head

The vast majority of Airsofters are good guys (and gals, of course!), luckily in this hobby the "tosser quota" is pretty low. If you want to break the ice with another player, just ask about the gat they're using or the tactical gear they're using. They'll (most likely) be more than happy to tell you!

Comment

Originally posted by biscuitninja View Post
                        I went lone wolf for my first couple of games, since made friends who I play with when I can, and/or team up with randoms to play - all about getting stuck in!

If you're in Camberwell you're just down the road from me (Southwark), TWA Anerley is the easiest to get to on public transport from near here and 5 mins from Anerley station. There's a game on Saturday if you're free? CQB with an emphasis on C drop me a PM if you want to come along.

In terms of guns/places to buy them it's best to ask around your local - there's a couple of good retailers in London, but can't mention them on here!
                        Im afraid i wont be able to make that one but when i do start ill be sure to chuck you a PM and see when your next going, thanks alot for asking tho pal

Comment

Would you guys say some surplus army boots would be ok for airsoft? Sorry to hijack it a bit but I just need some advice as well lol

Comment

Originally posted by Vanrad View Post
                            Would you guys say some surplus army boots would be ok for airsoft? Sorry to hijack it a bit but I just need some advice as well lol
                            Surplus boots will be fine mate, i would reccomend asking for german para boots (they used to be made by lowa and hiaix, top boots) a nice pair should only be about 20 quid, then when you get them home, break out the polish and give them a really thick coat (bout half a tins worth) best way to do this, get some surgical gloves (poundshop) warm the polish (dont set it on fire, it ruins it) by rubbing in small circles, then slather the polish onto the boot and massage onto the leather, not only will they look nice and neat, the polish waterproofs them, and they will breakin to your feet much faster
                            trading WE M16A1 for CYMA or RS SVD with PSOP
                            http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...ting-trades%29

Comment

It's always good to have more South Londoners. :-D

There's plenty of good advice in this thread already, and the site suggestions are all good too. There's also:
                              Elite Battle Zone, who have just started running games in Chatham (train from Brixton to Bromley South, then Bromley South To Strood, and then a short cab ride from Strood station)
                              or
                              Battle Lakes near Tunbridge Wells (Brixton to Orpington, Orpington to Tunbridge Wells then short cab to the site),
                              or
                              Apocalypse 249 (again, another train into the depths of Kent followed by a cab journey)
                              or
                              Elite Action Games near Dorking or Epsom
                              or
                              Thunder Ranch near Camberley (Hants/Surrey) (a little further out, perhaps, but one of the best sites in the country.

The best thing to do is go along somewhere and give it a try by renting first. As has been suggested, get a cheap set of DPMs (I think there's still an Army Surplus Store on Camberwell High St), and a pair of boots, though I don't know why one would want to wear boots that some other squaddie has been running around in for goodness-only-knows-how-long! The camouflage won't help you blend in with the environment in urban sites like TWA or The Mall, but it will help you stand less out as "the rental" or "the new boy".

If you enjoy it, then go a few more times and then enquire with the site about membership and UKARA registration.

You'll find it will all snowball from there!
                              Steyr AUG A1 & 6 mags and TBB for sale

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Shortlist Find out more about Shortlist
                              Working...
                              X