Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joules?

what is the limit of an airsoft gun in joules,
    i mean, for example the mauser SR is 2 joules and i dont need a lisence for it.......

but what/where is the line determing what gun is an "air gun"- no lisence
    or what is an "airsoft gun" - ukara needed

????
    can anyone help....???
    try and find government pages???
    im a bit confuzzled

thanks

Re: joules?

328fps is 1 joule

my gun shoots at 332fps and is 1.03 joules

Comment

The firearms act states that any air powered weapon firing at above 1ft/lb, or 1.35 joules, is categorised as an air weapon. As an air weapon is, in law, a form of firearm, then UKARA no longer applies (as it covers IMITATION firearms and an air weapon is a firearm and, therefore, can't be an imitation) and the various amendments to the firearms act apply.

Also, the moment it becomes an air weapon (in other words a low-powered firearm), it cannot fire full auto, unless the owner has a section 5 firearms certificate. Nor can it be powered by a pre-charged cartridge (so no 1.35j+ 203s!). As section 5 firearms covers everything from hot airsoft guns, through tasers to machine guns, the chances of getting a S5 licence are about the same as Osama Bin Laden becoming the next Pope.
      sigpic

Comment

Silly loop hole if you ask me.

So, a 500fps VSR would be legal to own without a VCRA defense, simply because it's MORE powerful!

Oh, and deactivated firearms are legal, even though they look IDENTICAL to RIFS because they USED TO BE REAL....

Comment

That doesn't make an aweful lot of sense to me. The legal limit for air rifles, weather if be pre-charge (air) or spring is 12ft/lb which is somewhere around 16 joules if you go by 1ft/lb = 1.35j.

Even an air pistol is 6ft/lb, which is 8 joules, again most air pistols being air (or co2).

Not trying to say your wrong, just saying most air rifles which almost anyone over 18 can freely purchase over the counter no questions asked could be that much more powerful than the limit of an airsoft gun.

I guess airsoft law works slightly differently to pellet gun laws?

Comment

Please take note of the full auto part. Its very important!

Comment

Just another example of the stupid British legal system.

What is needed is one single law covering all guns, from toys up to machine guns.

BTW, a 500fps VSR is legal to OWN regardless, it's the selling that is generally the issue. BUT, one thing I didn't mention before is the differences in law regarding the sale of air guns. A dealer must be a registered firearms dealer to sell them, they cannot be posted to the customer, the person must be 18+ with no exceptions and gifting an air weapon to an under 18 has now been illegal for a few years. Just because VCRA doesn't apply, it doesn't automatically mean that things are easier for airguns.

The theory on leaving de-acts out of VCRA was that your average chav scum won't go out and buy a few hundred quids worth of gun just to wave around in the street.

EDIT: Thehunter, this isn't a legal limit for airsoft guns, it's just the point where they move between being under the control of two different laws. A bit like learning to ride a motorbike, there are different power restrictions relating to age and experience, but they're still all motorbikes.
              sigpic

Comment

I have heard they are trying to pass legislation regarding the sale of deacs.

But yes, not on topic that.

Comment

Ahh I see. Makes sense sorta, but yes I agree the British legal system is quite silly.
                  LoL yes I remember those biking years, how I miss them!!

Comment

Some rough numbers for you:

Code:
                    fps	f/lb	m/s	Joules
                    300	0.62	91.44	0.84
                    328	0.74	99.97	1.00
                    350	0.84	106.68	1.14
                    381	1.00	116.13	1.35 <-- Airgun classification threshold
                    400	1.10	121.92	1.49
                    450	1.39	137.16	1.88
                    500	1.71	152.40	2.32

1323	12.00	403.25	16.27  <-- FAC required over this velocity

Assumes BB mass of 0.2g
                    Figures rounded to 2 decimal places
                    It's interesting to note that the 328 limit sites use might be a case of "mistaking" which unit is used. 328 fps is 1 Joule, but the legal threshold is 1 f/lb (1.35 J). This could explain the disparity where some sites allow higher fps - meaning a lot more stock guns don't need to be modified (e.g. my Cyma M1A1 was 370-ish out of the box).

Also note, though, that a 3.2g paintball firing at 300 fps (not unusual) has a muzzle energy of 13.38J. With a 0.2g BB, that would be about 1200 fps! The big difference is that the paintball is supposed to break.

Comment

Originally posted by No1_sonuk View Post

Also note, though, that a 3.2g paintball firing at 300 fps (not unusual) has a muzzle energy of 13.38J. With a 0.2g BB, that would be about 1200 fps! The big difference is that the paintball is supposed to break.
                      And the exact reason why paintball markers aren't covered by VCRA, regardless of what they look like. They are already firearms, so they can't be classed as imitation firearms. Some dealers selling markers, on the other hand, really do need firearms law explained to them.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rockinrobin View Post
                        And the exact reason why paintball markers aren't covered by VCRA, regardless of what they look like. They are already firearms, so they can't be classed as imitation firearms.
                        I'm not so sure. 13.38J is 9.87 f/lbs - under the 12 f/lb threshold for firearms.
                        For the 3.2g paintball, that threshold would be a muzzle velocity of just over 330 fps. However, I assume the frangible ammunition mitigates the higher velocity.

Comment

Originally posted by No1_sonuk View Post
                          I'm not so sure. 13.38J is 9.87 f/lbs - under the 12 f/lb threshold for firearms.
                          For the 3.2g paintball, that threshold would be a muzzle velocity of just over 330 fps. However, I assume the frangible ammunition mitigates the higher velocity.
                          The threshold for firearms is 1.35j, don't forget that an air weapon is a firearm covered by the firearms act. The fact that we all refer to them as air guns, doesn't change the fact that they are governed by the firearms acts which refer to them as low powered firearms.
                          sigpic

Comment

is it me or does RR have knowledge on everything!

I personally think that we are so lucky as if the gov categorised our weaponry as air guns or firearms our sport would wipe out imo i mean it costs a fair amount to get licenced

Connor
                            Originally posted by LeeBristolAirsoft
                            Seriously.... WTH?
                            Tenth Prestige!
                            http://zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=60213
                            http://zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?p=424466

Comment

Could you please point me in ther direction of the relevant act that states absolutely that a gun firing over 1 f/lb is classed as an air weapon and subject to the laws that come with that classification?

As far as I am aware, the lower "limit" is implied but not explicitly stated, and has little in the way of case law to add clarity. At this moment there is no clear case guidance for what may or may not define a low powered air weapon. The upper limits for pistols/rifles I are clear and I'm well aware of them.

This would be why you can easily buy a 1.35j+ from more than one established UK retailer without needing face to face contact etc.
                              Originally posted by palmer234
                              Swerve talks sense. I like him.
                              Originally posted by Robin-Hood
                              Swerve does in fact talk sense, I also like him.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

shadowhunter Find out more about shadowhunter
                              Working...
                              X