Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

Hello Getting into airsoft from paintballing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Getting into airsoft from paintballing.

Hello iv decided to give airsoft ago. paintballing just wasn't for me even after buying a few markers.... Does anyone have any advice on a 1st starter gun? I like the g39 and also think id rather a gas one over and electric one.

Any advice would be great full.

- - - Updated - - -

What would be the advantages over gas then electric vies verse...

Re: Hello Getting into airsoft from paintballing.

Hi and welcome from another ex-paintballer...
    This is a hell of a lot cheaper and cleaner than paintball..and just as much fun.I can't give you much advice about gassers,but what I would say is stay away from so called "starter" guns,that usually means cheap crap...buy the best you can buy after you've decided which model you prefer Aug,M4 etc.there are plenty of good deals in the classifieds.
    Don't buy anything too obscure because parts may be hard to source.Ask questions before you buy,anything that you're not sure of,you do get the odd p/b haters but they are outweighed by the massive and helpful knowledge base on here.
    Enjoy.....

Comment

I'm sure someone will give a better explanation than me on this but I'll have a starter for 10: Don't buy a gas rifle. Gas rifles are great, really. good range, feel great to use, top drawer stuff. Don't buy one for a first gun. Too much trouble and gas prices mount up. Cold weather affects the performance of gas and in this country, that happens a lot. Mags are pricey and if not treated right will leak and be useless. As I said before, if you have the time, patience and exp. gas rifles are great...but leave that for later.

Start with an Automatic Electric, there's a reason they're more common. Its easier, less varyation in performance (depending on leaks and temp.) You can buy parts and servicing for much less - i'm talking from £5 a magazine for an AEG hi-cap mag to £30+ for a gas mag. Also more choice. If I was in your shoes, I'd pick up a decent second-hander or a budget new gun - Either a G&G CM16 (all plastic, light, sturdy upgrades well) a CYMA AK (they're all good, can't go wrong, they don't break and shoot well) or if you want the G36 - well, theres a million versions to choose from. JG make decent starter G36's but theres loads to pick from as I say. If you're a bit more flush with cash, anything from your mid range makers - Classic Army, King Arms etc, can't go wrong with those.

Above all - welcome to the light side and enjoy yourself.

Comment

Hi, welcome to the sport .

Gas and electric are very different. Let me summarise them for you.

Electric : (Often called AEG, or Automatic Electric Gun)
        - 3 kinds of mags available, high, mid, low. Highs are the norm, hold 200+ rounds, but require winding to fire, usually several times during the mag's capacity. Mids don't require winding, but generally go 80-180 round capacity. Low/realcaps are like mids, but 30 rounds, usually reserved for milsim or exceptionally conservative players. Magazines can be plastic or metal.
        - Generally speaking, more reliable, and less maintenance involved. Require you to buy a battery and charger.
        - More variety available across the market.
        - Lower-end tend to have a little lag in trigger response due to design. This is fixed in higher end AEGs.
        - No recoil, or working action anything like a real firearm.

Gas
        - Mags have much lower capacity, and must be filled with both gas and BBs. Capacity tends to be 30 rounds for most rifles. Mags tend to be made of metal.
        - Some variance in performance across temperature due to reliance on gas expansion speeds. 3 main varieties of gas, 144a, Propane (/Green, a lubed form of propane sold specifically for airsoft) and C02. C02 not widely accepted due to perceived issues with it being too powerful, 144a generally too weak to be effective in UK climates.
        - Very fast trigger response.
        - More "realistic"- gun has minor recoil, action works in similar (bolt moves back and forward) manner to real firearm.
        - Better sound - a bang rather than the whine of an AEG.
        - Usually heavier, due to metal construction.
        - More wear and tear, more maintenance required.
        - Less variation in weapon types due to less OF them.

Not hard and fast rules - for example, some AEGs are specifically designed to have features like recoil, and the bolt locking back on empty, you'd usually only find on gas weapons. Generally, an AEG is always the way to go for a newcomer, with a gas rifle being something you'd go over to later on.

Comment

Great reply. Much help. bad news on the paintball haters. but I agree this hobby is much cheaper and cleaner. I still have to sell my PB Gear to fund this new Hobby. I just ran into my 1st problem tho I need a UkARA or it has to be a two tone.... I do plan on getting my UKARA but would like a gun to get started with. defo going to go with electric after reading the above. leaks with paintballs gives you head aches.....

I really do like the g36. I Have about £100 / £150 to spend is this an ok budget or should I have up a little more.

It seems a lot of the gun for sale on this site are UKRAR SPEC. Witch makes me wonder what to do next.
          Last edited by gary:); 23 May, 2013, 00:35. Reason: Update.

Comment

well assuming you have some basic gear e.g. boots/appropriate clothing i reckon you can get a half decent gun for that, personally i'd recommend a G&G combat machine of some description, otherwise i'd look into the second hand market.
            Defiantly make sure you get the UKARA sorted before you buy a gun, the two tone is not worth having to deal with and it devaluates the gun if you ever try to sell it second hand.
            Surrounded? You mean we can attack in all directions!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tobyeason View Post
              well assuming you have some basic gear e.g. boots/appropriate clothing i reckon you can get a half decent gun for that, personally i'd recommend a G&G combat machine of some description, otherwise i'd look into the second hand market.
              Defiantly make sure you get the UKARA sorted before you buy a gun, the two tone is not worth having to deal with and it devaluates the gun if you ever try to sell it second hand.
              Nice one. will look into that tomorrow. If I was to put an ad in the wanted thread for a two tone are there any rules I need to go buy. I did add one but must of got deleted. woops my bad

G&G Keeps popping up are there any others I can trust any others I don't want to touch?

I have to say thanks great advice for me .
              Last edited by gary:); 23 May, 2013, 00:47. Reason: Forgot.

Comment

Originally posted by gary:) View Post
                Nice one. will look into that tomorrow. If I was to put an ad in the wanted thread for a two tone are there any rules I need to go buy. I did add one but must of got deleted. woops my bad

G&G Keeps popping up are there any others I can trust any others I don't want to touch?

I have to say thanks great advice for me .
                To be honest almost any brand short of something like Double Eagle is a workable brand (and even then their shotguns are fine). In addition specific makes of guns by otherwise reputable brands may have their own issues. Do your research!

Comment

Originally posted by gary:) View Post
                  I was to put an ad in the wanted thread for a two tone are there any rules I need to go buy.
                  Click the link in my signature and give the forum rules a read!

Welcome to the forums by the way

Comment

Originally posted by ForceGhost View Post
                    Click the link in my signature and give the forum rules a read!

Welcome to the forums by the way
                    I didn't see any rules for the wanted part....

Comment

Something to consider - DON'T sell your co2 or HPA canister that you use for paintball.
                      With some minor modifications, you could (later down the line) adapt them into a gas-blowback gun so that it runs of the external supply instead of the gas in the mag.

For example this chap has taken an L85 Gas Blowback gun, and paired a high-cap AEG magazine with the gas feed from a HPA tank. Great combination of GBB recoil fun AND decent ammo capacity.

I figure since you already have some of the more expensive parts (tank, regulator) they may be worth keeping for a future project.

http://www.bingoairsoftworks.com/con...-use-hpa-tank/

Comment

Thats wicked. Really like that idea. I was hoping to keep one of my paintball guns just incase. But this would make me want to go down the route of gas airsoft gun.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

gary:) Find out more about gary:)
                        Working...
                        X