PSG-1 Sniper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSG-1 Sniper

At some point I would like to try out sniping, and I have preferences what with.

Ideally, I would like a PSG-1. Failing that, a DSR-1. For a sniper, I would tend to lean towards spring, since I've only had bad experiences with electric ones, and have just never tried gas and before wouldn't consider it, but I'm happy to have a pop at it now.

I know PSGs are electic, but I put my bad experience down to the wrong weight BBs, no upgrades and all that jazz.

Basically, I just wanted an idea for prices for a PSG-1 or a DSR-1, the general maintenance, price of mags, spare parts and upgradability. I don't think I'd want to spend more than about £300 on a used one, and would only really consider a second hand one if:

A: Cheap enough (I could afford to upgrade/repair etc)
    B: Close enough - I can actually go and try it before I buy it.

I also know I won't be able to get a new at c.£300, but if it was new, I would pay more.

Thanks.
    sigpic
    "I are God, lol."

TM PSG1 is really old now and I think you would get a low end one at £300.

I had one and it was really creaky and junky like old TM long G3s and stuff.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Re: PSG-1 Sniper

The PSG-1's bloody ancient these days - I've not seen one at a skirmish or in stock for a long time. I don't think many companies make the DSR-1s, either, which limits your options - it's not renowned as a particularly accurate rifle to my knowledge. If you're happy with an electric rifle, see if anyone near you is selling a secondhand RealSword SVD. They're substantially more expensive (think at least £500 secondhand with a scope) but they don't need upgrading like most other rifles will out of the box.

Comment

So both are not recommended then... Another rifle I've been looking at for a while is the Mauser .338 (so I think it's called). They seem pretty inexpensive and look as though they would be upgradable with L96 parts.
        sigpic
        "I are God, lol."

Comment

Get the a&k SVD for £150 and put the £50 co2 conversion in it for 500fps.

They are pretty good springers out of the box too.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich83 View Post
            Get the a&k SVD for £150 and put the £50 co2 conversion in it for 500fps.

They are pretty good springers out of the box too.

Il second that iv the same I dropped a bigger spring and hitting 460fps with .25 and the range and accuracy out of box is cracking I was getting head shots at long range just with iron sights

Comment

The PSG-1's are as good as any TM AEG out of the box, but is purpose built to be semi only. If you have the time, and deep pockets, they can be made to shoot very well. The blowback function needs to be disabled - in my experience they shoot better without it enabled. The one I owned had gearbox and hop upgrades only. It shot well, but as mentioned by another user it is creaky. There are metal receivers and cocking tubes available which make it a much more sturdy platform. The length of the thing was the issue that prompted me to eventually get rid of it for something more solid, I never got around to any external modifications.

As for DSR's, they are expensive and have limited upgrades - not to mention the out of the box price. Most people would point you in the direction of the TM VSR's if you want to build a well performing rifle, but that too will take you to a £500+ investment for the optimal setup. Crasstoe on here swears by the King Arms Blaser R93 platform, and after getting one myself I have to agree with him. Very sturdily built rifles. The complete upgrade set from King Arms and a few hop and barrel tweaks will get a new one running to match or get extremely close to VSR spec. That can of course be said for many of the available sniper rifle platforms, that they can perform as well as a VSR with the right amount of money showered on them. What needs to be noticed is that the industry standard for performance comparisons is still the VSR, which isn't earned without reason. Light, fairly compact, long ranged, and of course accurate.

Ultimately it's up to you which platform you pursue, the vast majority of the mentioned rifles can be upgraded part by part over time to reach that legendary standard all airsoft snipers strive for; and of course if you find sniping isn't for you a well built platform will retain its value fairly well if you decide to sell it on.

Just my 2p on the subject.

Comment

I've looked at VSRs before, and they do seem to be very simple and effective designs. My brother-in-law has a HFC VSR that cost around £70 and I was popping headshots every one in two or three shots with no scope or iron sights at about 25-30m. I will say that the first one or two shots at tge target were off, and I would watch where thr BB was flying and adjust my aim accordingly. This was out of the box, left in a shed for a year condition.I actuslly have a ppicture of me while I was doing this.
                sigpic
                "I are God, lol."

Comment

I actually want to appologise for the poor grammar and spelling in that last post - I sent it using my phone, and you know the drill... Man fingers and tiny touch-screen android.
                  Originally posted by WillGreen View Post
                  I've looked at VSRs before, and they do seem to be very simple and effective designs. My brother-in-law has a HFC VSR that cost around £70 and I was popping headshots every one in two or three shots with no scope or iron sights at about 25-30m. I will say that the first one or two shots at tge target were off, and I would watch where thr BB was flying and adjust my aim accordingly. This was out of the box, left in a shed for a year condition.I actuslly have a ppicture of me while I was doing this.
                  sigpic
                  "I are God, lol."

Comment

Back when I had a PSG everything was expensive for them, I wouldn't like to think how much a metal body would cost, and due to its epic proportions I can't see it fixing the creaking.

Comment

PSG-1s are expensive and relatively rare. Once they have been worked on alot they shoot a treat. I had mine done by the guys that support fire and have no regrets. Sadly it comes out very rarely these days for no real reason. Heck i feel the need to take it out next time i skirmish now.

ARES are the only people i know who make a DSR-1, you wont find one for your budget unless its knackerd and typical ARES spares are unobtainable. I did own a DSR-1 but sold it in the end as it just never got used. I believe my mate still has it as a wall hanger after something went wrong internally and short of buying another gun he cant fix it.
                      https://www.youtube.com/user/AirsoftbyOliver - My Youtube channel.

Comment

Assuming you've got deep enough pockets it can be an excellent gun. But as said it takes a fair amount of work to get it shooting well, not to mention all the cash.

A vsr or clone vsr would be a cheaper entry platform into the sniping role. As well as simpler to work on.

Do not believe the hype surrounding the magical 500fps, you don't need it per se. You can engage the vast majority of targets with 350fps easily enough.

I'm actually going to do a decent range test with my rifle this weekend hopefully.

Cheers
                        Originally posted by Coz
                        Holds gun like a super sniper pro......Cries when wind blows his BB off course.
                        http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...iping-tactics- sniping tactics thread.

Comment

Yeah TM PSG-1 isnt such a good option really. As said above, super creaky and theyre very old now.

May I suggest TM or CA G3? Very similiar but just a bit more realistic.

Comment

The PSG-1 is an expensive route to go down.
                            SystemA's FTKs; FTK12 (300%) and FTK26 (400%) or 560fps and 670fps respectively is more than enough to get you decent performance figures, but the piston's supplied in these kits are amongst the worst available. Ive had anything from 3 shots to 200 shots before failure. The rest of internal parts bar the FET are bomb proof, so if you can get round the Piston (guarder do one, not that it's perfect) you will have a stable power platform.

The only reason I got rid of the two that I had was because of the plastic construction, it was very high quality and well put together, but the external options were limited. At best you could get a G&G RAS and metal upper, but it left the cocking tube and lower plastic which still meant that the overall structural rigidity and consequently consistency/accuracy were lacking. If there was a full metal receiver set + cocking tube released, orI had access to a CNC machine I would have another one in a heart beat.
                            dsgdreamteam

Comment

Ps, as ever I suggest new snipers read through the thread linked in my sig below. Lots of useful information.
                              Originally posted by Coz
                              Holds gun like a super sniper pro......Cries when wind blows his BB off course.
                              http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...iping-tactics- sniping tactics thread.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

WillGreen Find out more about WillGreen
                              Working...
                              X