Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio's + Throat/ Ear/ Boom mic advice

Hello there guys and girls.

I understand that this may be yet another thread which talks about one thing solely - radio's. But I'd also like to get opinions on Throat Microphones and the associated other types of microphones/ ear options.

Basically first pointer: I've been looking at getting a pair of PMR 446 Cobra MT975C radio's to replace my other radio's which aren't as user friendly, and are a bit of a swine to get headsets for.

So the first question is, does anyone have any feedback on the 975's? They seem to be quite good, plenty of subchannels, 12km range (theoretical) etc.

Next question -

What types of headsets do we go for, and why? I've been looking at a shop based in the US which sells throat microphones for a whole range of brands and models, and one of which would appear to be used by military contractors.

So then... What are the advantages and disadvantages of throat microphones?

I'm seriously considering getting one of these "D" shaped thingy-ma-bobbies as seen here: http://www.amherst.co.uk/acatalog/wa...ries-shop.html first one.

Again, advantages and disadvantages?

Finally, the old fashioned style of having a piece in your ear, connected to a microphone that comes in front of your mouth, which I personally don't like, but seemed to work better than any of the others on my old radios. Pro's and cons?

Cheers!

Please get in touch if you want general help. Please report problematic posts.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Re: Radio's + Throat/ Ear/ Boom mic advice

I used to use the 'D' shaped ear pieces at work and could never find one that was comfortable let alone fitted properly so I generally avoid any that have that shape.

Comment

Perfect, thanks for that - I was always at a loss as to how it actually held onto your ear...

Please get in touch if you want general help. Please report problematic posts.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Comment

People always seem to complain if you use a throat mic, doesnt really matter what type you have,£12-£100 messages always seem to get 'muffed' up by them.
        Im going for an acoustic tube and seperate mic/ptt.

Now if you get a kenwood or say Motorola unit, im sure you'll open up the spectrum of headsets you can get.(I think). ive never seen anyone use a Cobra with a Cavalvy etc

Now the Cavalvy i liked, but after a while got a sore ear. you can get a 'swimmer' type which has a type of suction cup on it, which are apparently more comfy.
        Originally posted by Artekus
        It looks like I'll need to brush up on my fieldcraft/untutored thrashing about in the undergrowth

Comment

if you can afford to, go for DEVGRU gear... best mic based equipment i've come across, not necessarily cheap, but worth it, i had a DEVGRU throat mic and bar not always getting it positioned correctly it always worked fine till the mic's PTT switch died (mine was reconditioned ex-military). However a few folks i play with use DEVGRU frogman style headsets and haven't had any issues with then at all, try looking them up
          Hope this helps
          -Snakeh
          sigpic
          Mercs Boss
          Armoury:
          ICS MP5A4 w/ Lighted Forend \ G&P XM177E2 w/M203 \ ZM Weapons Original LR300 \ TM MP7A1 \ TM M1911A1 \ TM P226R

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Gaffa Nicknamed "Gaffa" because I can be bossy, but get the job done! I'm built for comfort, not speed... Find out more about Gaffa
          Working...
          X